My photography website.

This is a discussion on My photography website. within the Your Website forums, part of the OTHER FORUMS category; I started photography in 2011, and just a few months ago I decided that I would share them with the public. Please tell me what ...

Equipment
    Nikon Coolplix P500
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK

My photography website.

I started photography in 2011, and just a few months ago I decided that I would share them with the public.
    Please tell me what you think of it!
    Thank you!
    Jocelyn Frasier Photography - Home

Equipment
    Nikon D300
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I like your landing page and your photographs, however I do not like your idea that editing a photo renders it not "truly" yours. While it is always best to exercise proper photographic technique while making an image, editing it does not take away any of the originality and if anything makes it more original. Would you tell Ansel Adams that his darkroom editing techniques made his photographs less his? I think not.
    http://www.michaelkfoto.com/

"Portrait subjects see themselves in the picture...photographers see the picture"

Equipment
    Nikon Coolplix P500
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I'm not saying anything to anybody. I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. I am stating my own personal opinion on the way I view things - if you don't like what i have to say then why bother making even a little deal of it. Again, that is just my opinion.

Equipment
    Nikon D300
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Point taken
    http://www.michaelkfoto.com/

"Portrait subjects see themselves in the picture...photographers see the picture"

Equipment
    Nikon Coolplix P500
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Thank you.

Equipment
    Canon 5D, Canon 40D, assorted lenses
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Quote Originally Posted by amberly001 View Post
    if you don't like what i have to say then why bother making even a little deal of it.
    I'll take a stab at answering that: Because you wrote "Please let me know what you think about it".

I'm going to be blunt.

I see a few issues. First, you say on your site that you're not a professional, but you're charging for photographs. If I see a website that contains the statement "I'm not a professional", that's a deal killer. I won't look any further. And, if I did, I would see photos that hardly compel me to buy. For instance, you have a photo of a Bald Eagle which looks to be heavily cropped, and many of the photos on your site are very poorly composed.

There's way too much text. In all honesty, no one really cares about which horse is the half-brother of some other horse. Along with too much text in some tabs, there's none in others. If you're going to have it under one tab, carry that theme through the entirety of the galleries. It lends continuity and makes the site appear smoother.

If you want to have a website to feature photos of your cats and dogs, have that. Post all the photos you want of your dog behind a fence or mildly out of focus photos of a horse. But, right now, your website has no direction. It has no point. Are you trying to sell photos of Muppet, or just show her off? 17 photos of Muppet isn't going to interest anyone. Have various dogs under that tab, not just one.

If you're saying you're not a professional, have a website which supports that statement. If you want to sell photos, have a website that says you're a professional. Right now, your website is bipolar.

Decide what you want your website to do for you, and make a website that does that. This one looks like it's trying to a bunch of things, and it's doing none of them very well...
    Last edited by Steve5D; 03-21-2014 at 07:46 AM.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve5D View Post
    I'll take a stab at answering that: Because you wrote "Please let me know what you think about it".

I'm going to be blunt.

I see a few issues. First, you say on your site that you're not a professional, but you're charging for photographs. If I see a website that contains the statement "I'm not a professional", that's a deal killer. I won't look any further. And, if I did, I would see photos that hardly compel me to buy. For instance, you have a photo of a Bald Eagle which looks to be heavily cropped, and many of the photos on your site are very poorly composed.

There's way too much text. In all honesty, no one really cares about which horse is the half-brother of some other horse. Along with too much text in some tabs, there's none in others. If you're going to have it under one tab, carry that theme through the entirety of the galleries. It lends continuity and makes the site appear smoother.

If you want to have a website to feature photos of your cats and dogs, have that. Post all the photos you want of your dog behind a fence or mildly out of focus photos of a horse. But, right now, your website has no direction. It has no point. Are you trying to sell photos of Muppet, or just show her off? 17 photos of Muppet isn't going to interest anyone. Have various dogs under that tab, not just one.

If you're saying you're not a professional, have a website which supports that statement. If you want to sell photos, have a website that says you're a professional. Right now, your website is bipolar.

Decide what you want your website to do for you, and make a website that does that. This one looks like it's trying to a bunch of things, and it's doing none of them very well...
    I agree with all of this critique. I simply think that you've rushed into creating a website, which seems to be a common issue these days. For now, you shouldn't give a second thought to your website, let alone selling your shots. You should be focussed on experimenting with the medium and gradually improving your skills. Putting up a website should be quite far on in your photographic development, not the start!

Hope this helps!

Rowan

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links