Weekly Theme - My Neighbour

This is a discussion on Weekly Theme - My Neighbour within the Weekly Themes forums, part of the PHOTO PROJECTS category; Or for you guys over the pond My Neighborhood Lets share what it is like where we live, city, country, mountains, desert or on the ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Weekly Theme - My Neighbour

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK

Weekly Theme - My Neighbour

Or for you guys over the pond My Neighborhood

Lets share what it is like where we live, city, country, mountains, desert or on the ocean we all live somewhere difference and each has its own beauty and uniqueness, lets share that with each other. It might me a new miles away or on your doorstep so lets have a look.

ONLY 2 IMAGES PER POST TO GIVE EVERYONE A CHANCE

This theme will run for 2 weeks

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    The Engineers Inn, the last local pub left in the village.

View looking back up to the village from a local country park a couple of miles away. The line of houses you see on the horizon is the village and if you look close just to the left of the church tower you will see a small white building, that is the Engineers Inn in the above photo.

Last edited by yorkshireman; 05-11-2012 at 02:03 AM.
    MountainRider, Dazzaone and KayB like this.

Equipment
    I use 35mm film, instant film and digital cameras
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Houses nestled on the old town wall where I live

Photography is a portal through which we are transported to other worlds

Equipment
    Pentax K100D Super / K-5/Optio 80/cell phone, Tamron 90mm macro, 17-50 f/2.8, Pentax 50 f/1.4 , a few zooms, studio strobes, tripod, ND filters...
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Two views from the deck in back of our house.
    I would have posted three views, but I want to give everyone a chance.
    Too bad, because the third one was actually the best of all.

Golf course hybrid enhanced by ChicagoJohn, on Flickr

missin lens cap again by ChicagoJohn, on Flickr

So these are actually both taken from the wooden deck that spans the back of our simple house. The first one was heavily reworked when I first discovered post processing about three or four years ago. It's an overlay of an infrared image onto a visible light image with an image from the Hubble Telescope added in for good measure. The second one was taken more recently when I happened to look outside and see a magnificent sunset one evening and decide to grab my camera and take some pictures of it. I noticed that the lens cap was missing when I picked up the camera, but after viewing the images, I discovered why.
    Last edited by ChicagoJohn; 05-11-2012 at 07:04 PM.
    MountainRider and John B. like this.
    I only went out for a walk and finally decided to stay out till sundown; for going out, I found, was really going in. - John Muir

Equipment
    Pentax K100D Super / K-5/Optio 80/cell phone, Tamron 90mm macro, 17-50 f/2.8, Pentax 50 f/1.4 , a few zooms, studio strobes, tripod, ND filters...
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Berg View Post
    Houses nestled on the old town wall where I live

I never take the time I should to comment on your images, Fred Berg. My bad.
    So what I like about this one is, first off, the layers of distance and color in roughly rule-of-thirds positions;
    the green foliage close up with their variegated shapes, the rectilinear red and white buildings next in the midground
    and then the amorphous blue sky; these bounded and framed by the two conifers on left and right,
    mimicking the towers, roofs, and spires of the buildings; the red contrasting the green.

In addition, I like the high dynamic range going from the white facade of the buildings lit by the sun to the
    dark shadows of the tree on the left, the leaves in the foreground, and the roof shadows.

It is a wonderfully interesting and absorbing image.
    I only went out for a walk and finally decided to stay out till sundown; for going out, I found, was really going in. - John Muir

Equipment
    I use 35mm film, instant film and digital cameras
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Thank you, John, those are incredibly kind words. My daughter was playing with a friend in the meadow near our house when I noticed the potential of this scene. The girls picked some flowers for their mums and once we had taken them in and were ready to resume pretending to be lost in the tall grass and hiding from dad, I took a camera out with me and came up with this photo. I'm very glad that you like it and find it interesting.
    Photography is a portal through which we are transported to other worlds

Equipment
    Nikon
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Bues's Pond, a couple of miles down the road from were I live.

ChicagoJohn, Dazzaone and KayB like this.
    Nikon D300 - Nikkor 18-55VR, 55-200, 70-300VR - Sigma 50-500 (Bigma)
    Bogen Manfrotto Tripod, Manfrotto Monopod, & Ballheads
    All stuffed into two Pelican waterproof cases.

Equipment
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Berg View Post
    Thank you, John, those are incredibly kind words. My daughter was playing with a friend in the meadow near our house when I noticed the potential of this scene. The girls picked some flowers for their mums and once we had taken them in and were ready to resume pretending to be lost in the tall grass and hiding from dad, I took a camera out with me and came up with this photo. I'm very glad that you like it and find it interesting.
    Our guru on these weekly journeys, Yorkshireman aka King George, always seems to have something up his sleeve when he picks his "weekly" themes. And this time, I suspect, that it has to do with that which strikes close to home.

My comments about your image were simply my observations, without any intent to be kind, though I'm glad you took them that way. However, it was kind of you, I think, to share the little story behind the image.
    As I stop to think about it, every image we labor upon and post here has a story, yet that story is seldom told; it is just the image standing there as if it had arisen from nothing, when, in fact, there were a series of causes and conditions that were antecedent.

So here is my thought for this particular thread, and for that matter subsequent threads; let us each provide some bit of context for our images, images of our neighborhoods, not necessarily where those neighborhoods are geographically, but sort of what they are and why the image of them came into being in the first instance.

In that way, I think, we can give the images in this weekly theme a level of meaning that would not be possible from the visual alone. I shall go back now and add to the one I posted accordingly, and I would encourage each contributor to add a few words to their posts along the same lines.
    Last edited by ChicagoJohn; 05-11-2012 at 07:13 PM.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK

Farm that's behind my place, on the "other side of the tracks".
    Sick of all the spam and advertising. I'm done here.

Equipment
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post

Farm that's behind my place, on the "other side of the tracks".
    I grew up on a farm every summer, every summer as I was growing up in town.
    So I can really appreciate the beauty of "the other side of town". Ya, baby.

•  
    Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links