Weekly Theme - My Neighbour

This is a discussion on Weekly Theme - My Neighbour within the Weekly Themes forums, part of the PHOTO PROJECTS category; This is one of my favourite views of my neighbourhood, not because of any photographic quality's but looking down on the streets where I live ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Weekly Theme - My Neighbour

Equipment
    Pentax K100D Super / K-5/Optio 80/cell phone, Tamron 90mm macro, 17-50 f/2.8, Pentax 50 f/1.4 , a few zooms, studio strobes, tripod, ND filters...
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    This is one of my favourite views of my neighbourhood, not because of any photographic quality's but looking down on the streets where I live I know I can turn around and head into the hills from here in less than 5 minutes...

I love this for its color, dynamic range, and framing internally and externally with the white stroke and external black frame.
    The later greatly accentuates the former. As all of your posts are, this one is excellent.
    I only went out for a walk and finally decided to stay out till sundown; for going out, I found, was really going in. - John Muir

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJohn View Post
    It's a "she", Cameron; Look under her tail
    Thanks, ChicagoJohn:

Shows that my knowledge of birds is totally non-existant! .....but they make good photographic subjects.

Cameron

Equipment
    Pentax K100D Super / K-5/Optio 80/cell phone, Tamron 90mm macro, 17-50 f/2.8, Pentax 50 f/1.4 , a few zooms, studio strobes, tripod, ND filters...
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Four Birds

four birds by ChicagoJohn, on Flickr

So I checked to see what has been happening here, and I thought if I wanted to see something I should probably try to do something myself also.
    And perhaps because my friend Cameron's picture was a bird, and being somewhat lazy -- I'm on vacation -- I just took a few shots from the patio door that goes out onto our deck.
    Nothing spectacular, but it is our very local avian neighborhood, I guess you could say.

But in the tradition of semiotics, there is perhaps a context to this. When we moved here from Ohio, about 13 years ago, real estate prices were so high that this house was all I could afford. It had been a foreclosure. The former occupants had basically trashed it. I spent a couple of weeks trying to refurbish the inside before my wife and dogs moved here.

And in that process, early on, while I was painting the walls; painting over all the crayon marks and scribblings the former owners had made probably because of their dissatisfaction at having been evicted, there was this one red-winged blackbird that kept clinging to the screen on an open window and on the very patio door screen I shot this picture from. It was very persistent in looking in at me and chirping.

It finally dawned on me that the previous owners had fed the birds, and I immediately went out to a local store and bought bird seed.
    Not having any feeder, I just put it on the railing, and lots of birds came right away, proving that my supposition was correct.
    And always among them, very prominently among them, was the red-wing blackbird who had been clinging to the screens, talking to me.

Now, thirteen years later, all but one of the dogs we brought with us are gone. I'm sure that original red-wing is probably gone too.
    But every time I see one at the feeders we have subsequently set up, I am reminded of the one who started it all.
    I only went out for a walk and finally decided to stay out till sundown; for going out, I found, was really going in. - John Muir

Equipment
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I want to apologize to everyone on this forum.

I was participating on another forum PhotoCamel.com.

Without any knowledge or notfication, they started including ads in our posts.
    I discovered this by accident, and then, not believing what I was seeing, I verified it.
    I'm a scientist. I'm not a drug addict or a nut. But when I reported this, that is what I was accused of there.

So, naturally, I just decided to start over again; I was totally disillusioned at that moment.

I have deleted all my Flickr content. That was, I thought, the best statement I could make about this new, deceptive sales and marketing tactic.

Unfortunately, this has impacted the content I have previously posted here. Collateral damage. I am sincerely deeply sorry about that.

Many times in my life I've done things that I regret. This is not one of those times. When I woke up this morning, I examined my mind, and I can not detect one, single shred of regret. I feel cleansed.

On that site, photocamel, if you signed on as yourself, you did not see any ads on YOUR POSTS. However, if you signed on from a different computer as a different user, then the ads would show up. Can you believe that level of deceit? They were using our creativity with a blatent lie to make it look like we were supporting some assinine product or other.

Unfortunately, my friends, I can see that the anger lingers. I'll have to sign off until it ceases entirely. But I just wanted all of you to know that this has nothing whatsoever to do with you or this site. Again, I apolgize. But I've deleted four years of Flickr content, so that should tell you how deeply I feel ablout this.

It's a new day. And I am very happy to be here.

May I just add this: For me personally, this has been a defining event, in retrospect. I didn't see it while it was happening, but what it has done for me is make me realize that what it is that is in "me", that is to say, that connection that has been made, is not at all dependent upon anything else.

It cannot be taken away. It cannot be trashed or eschewed: It is with us; it is us. We arise, moment-by-moment. And in that arising, our creativity comes forth.

You can erase everything that has come before, but you cannot erase what will be.
    Last edited by ChicagoJohn; 05-21-2012 at 06:15 AM.

Equipment
    Canon 5D III
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    The curtain wall of Traders Hotel, Upper East Side, Beijing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Equipment
    I use 35mm film, instant film and digital cameras
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Woman Descending Steps, Old Town, Augsburg:

MountainRider and Dazzaone like this.
    Photography is a portal through which we are transported to other worlds

Equipment
    Nikon
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Nounan Valley

Fred Berg, Dazzaone and hiker1 like this.
    Nikon D300 - Nikkor 18-55VR, 55-200, 70-300VR - Sigma 50-500 (Bigma)
    Bogen Manfrotto Tripod, Manfrotto Monopod, & Ballheads
    All stuffed into two Pelican waterproof cases.

Equipment
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    One of the local watering holes

Dazzaone likes this.

Equipment
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    N 11, Town Wall, Friedberg

Equipment