Capture the Flag

This is a discussion on Capture the Flag within the Weekly Themes forums, part of the PHOTO PROJECTS category; LIBERATION IS AT HAND: OPEN YOUR DICTIONARIES Flag: English noun 1 : any of various monocotyledonous plants with long ensiform leaves: as a : a ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Capture the Flag

Equipment
    Pentax K100D Super / K-5/Optio 80/cell phone, Tamron 90mm macro, 17-50 f/2.8, Pentax 50 f/1.4 , a few zooms, studio strobes, tripod, ND filters...
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    LIBERATION IS AT HAND: OPEN YOUR DICTIONARIES

Flag: English noun

1 : any of various monocotyledonous plants with long ensiform leaves: as a : a plant of the genus Iris: as (1) : the common yellow-flowered iris (I. pseudacorus) of Europe (2) : either of two blue-flowered No. American irises (I. versicolor and I. prismatica) b : SWEET FLAG c : CATTAIL 1

2 : a leaf of a flag or of a cereal grass

1 dialect Britain : a piece of sod or turf

2 dialect Britain : a slice of earth turned over in plowing

3 a : a hard evenly stratified stone (as fine-grained sandstone or firm shale) that splits into flat pieces suitable for paving *a valuable flag quarry* b : a piece of such stone; especially : a thin piece split from such stone *looked down at the cracked flags beneath which the roots spread— Virginia Woolf* c : a surface of such stone *scrubbed down the flag of the terrace each morning*

1 a : a usually rectangular piece of fabric (as light flexible cloth) of distinctive design that is used as a symbol (as of a nation) or as a signaling device and is usually displayed hanging free from a staff or halyard to which it is attached by one edge — see 2FLY 6c, HOIST; compare BANNER, ENSIGN, PENNANT, PENNON, STANDARD b : a flag that is the personal symbol of an admiral and is hoisted on a ship on which he is present and in command c : a representation of a flag *embroidered a flag on the cushion* *little flags stenciled on the boxes* *a flag of growing flowers* d : something that is used like a flag to signal or attract attention

2 a flags plural , archaic : the secondaries of a bird's wing b : the tail of certain dogs (as setters and hounds); also : the long hairs fringing a setter's tail c : the tail of a deer

3 : any of certain signaling devices: as a : one of the cross strokes on a musical note of less than a quarter-note time value *the eighth note has one flag, the sixteenth two* — called also hook b : a marker (as a piece of cardboard or a turned rule) inserted between lines of type to remind the compositor that an addition or correction must be made at that place — called also watchman c : RANGE POLE d : a thin oblong piece (as of metal or plastic) projecting from a movable rod by which it may be raised or lowered that is used for signaling (as of the availability of a taxi or the presence of mail in a rural delivery box) e : MASTHEAD 2a f : a usually colored metal or plastic clip that may be attached to a card or sheet of paper as a reminder of some future attention required g : a marker (as a small strip of colored paper) placed to protrude from a roll of paper at a place where it has broken and been spliced

4 : the end of a bristle for use in brushes that is farthest from the root, is relatively soft and flexible and often somewhat frayed, and is usually the free end in the finished brush

5 : something usually or properly symbolized by the display of a particular flag: as a : FLAGSHIP b : an admiral functioning in his office of command c : NATIONALITY; especially : the nationality of registration of a ship or airplane — called also registry

6 : FEATHER 7

7 [7flag] : a wilted or dead leaf or a branch with such leaves on an otherwise healthy plant (as a tree) that is frequently indicative of an interference with the water supply to the leaves
    synonyms ENSIGN, BANNER, STANDARD, COLORS, JACK, PENNANT, PENDANT, PENNON, STREAMER: FLAG is a very general term; in most situations it lends itself readily to substitutions for the more specific words following. ENSIGN, commonly used in naval or nautical affairs, often indicates a flag showing nationality or nation. BANNER, often a romantic and literary synonym for FLAG, is frequently used in situations involving emotional ties and appeals *the star-spangled banner, oh! long may it wave— F.S.Key* STANDARD is often used in reference to the flag, often an elongated one, of an individual, a cause or party, or a mounted or motorized unit, especially when serving as a rallying point *with the standards of the peoples plunging through the thunderstorm— Alfred Tennyson* *after the execution of Charles I, the royal standard was replaced by the Commonwealth standard— W.G.Perrin* COLORS * the form more common than the singular COLOR * may refer to national flags, flags emblematic of affiliation or partisanship, flags of most military units *the call to the colors* *to join the colors* *a ship carrying French colors* *afraid to show his colors* *the British colors were planted on the summit of the breach— Duke of Wellington *1852* The following words are more specific and limited in use: JACK typically designates a small oblong flag indicating nationality and is used on the bowsprits of ships. PENNANT and PENDANT, the latter more English than American, typically refer to flags more or less triangular in shape used to identify individual units or to signal. PENNON may apply to a narrower flag, one suitable to hanging from a lance *that squadron swung around T with a wicked whistling of wind in the pennons of its lances— Rudyard Kipling* STREAMER is likely to refer to a long narrow flag capable of streaming in the wind.

Britain : GROAT, FOURPENCE

chiefly Scotland : a large snowflake

UNDERSTANDING LANGUAGE IS LIBERATION

Yourkshireman wrote what he wrote. Now it is up to interpret his English, not try to read his mind.

feather by ChicagoJohn, on Flickr
    Last edited by ChicagoJohn; 02-21-2012 at 06:14 PM.
    I only went out for a walk and finally decided to stay out till sundown; for going out, I found, was really going in. - John Muir

Equipment
    Pentax K100D Super / K-5/Optio 80/cell phone, Tamron 90mm macro, 17-50 f/2.8, Pentax 50 f/1.4 , a few zooms, studio strobes, tripod, ND filters...
    PHOTO EDITING OK

Factory Flags

Flags in the Factory by ChicagoJohn, on Flickr

So this is another one with my Pentax Optio W80 at work today. When they decided to start expanding, the management thought it would be a good idea to put flags up in our plant for every country where we had acquired another site. As you can see, this one shows the first two, the second one being Mexico. The third one was Germany, but I didn't want to bore you with another image just to make that point. Anyway, after that, they lost interest.

Now we are also in Brazil, Turkey, and China. They just lost interest in the flag concept.

Little did they know that in doing that, they really f*c*ed me now when it comes to making images for our Weekly Theme. I know what you're thinking; you're thinking, "They couldn't have known you would get interested in photography and in the Weekly Theme, and that George would select 'flags' as a topic this week." But you know what? Now they're talking about getting the other three flags, and I am fairly certain they will get it done about one week after George closes this thread!!!

Just my luck.

Bastards!
    Last edited by ChicagoJohn; 02-21-2012 at 06:56 PM.
    Fred Berg and MountainRider like this.
    I only went out for a walk and finally decided to stay out till sundown; for going out, I found, was really going in. - John Muir

Equipment
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    A flag of another kind, yet a flag nonetheless, I submit, if the English language is to be our standard of discourse here.

redwing by ChicagoJohn, on Flickr
    MountainRider likes this.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    A couple of old old ones to start with, The Duke of Wellington's Regiments surviving battle flags, based in the Parish Church and open to view to all, well worth a visit...

Renaults World Series at Silverstone...

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    A couple of new edits I have just found, the first is part of a ladyy gaga act caught in Halifax last year...

St. Patrick's day parade...

Equipment
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    My front porch flag

Another Optio W80 Shot by ChicagoJohn, on Flickr

PHOTO EDITING OK

~ Don
    "Donalds Camera" (Nikon user) *
    ~ Take a picture, .. it'll last longer ~

Equipment
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Close up of a cotton Old Glory 13 star flag we had hanging outside over our front door since September 11, 2001, and just replaced with a 50 star a few weeks ago. The cotton flag held up well over this ten-year period.

red white and blue cotton old glory flag by ChicagoJohn, on Flickr

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by willard3 View Post
    I see this and two words pop into my mind: "African Queen"
    Disclaimer: I am not a professional so please take all comments with a grain of salt and consider the source.

Stupid photo blog that I had to make for my college photography class: My Stupid Photo Blog

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I think that I may have posted this one before. It is a group of scouts having a flag folding ceremony at Fort McHenry this past Veteran's Day.

Disclaimer: I am not a professional so please take all comments with a grain of salt and consider the source.

Stupid photo blog that I had to make for my college photography class: My Stupid Photo Blog

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links