Weekly Theme starting 7th October - "REFLECTIONS"

This is a discussion on Weekly Theme starting 7th October - "REFLECTIONS" within the Weekly Themes forums, part of the PHOTO PROJECTS category; Originally Posted by Preeb Thanks for the kind words. It actually was a sunset, and the way the dyes muted with age just seem to ...

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Weekly Theme starting 7th October - "REFLECTIONS"

Equipment
    Pentax K100D Super / K-5/Optio 80/cell phone, Tamron 90mm macro, 17-50 f/2.8, Pentax 50 f/1.4 , a few zooms, studio strobes, tripod, ND filters...
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Preeb View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. It actually was a sunset, and the way the dyes muted with age just seem to help the mood of the image. All I did when I scanned it in was to spot heal some dust and scratches and a remove what noise was possible. It mostly just looks like the original slide.
    Well, Preeb, a sunrise or sunset is pretty much in the mind of the beholder, I think, and this image will always for me remain a sunrise since it was your #1 post here. What will tomorrow bring? Sorry, I forgot today. What will today bring? I'm always putting today off until tomorrow and nothing ever gets posted, ya know.

OK, Preeb, what will TODAY bring?
    I only went out for a walk and finally decided to stay out till sundown; for going out, I found, was really going in.” - John Muir

Equipment
    Pentax K100D Super / K-5/Optio 80/cell phone, Tamron 90mm macro, 17-50 f/2.8, Pentax 50 f/1.4 , a few zooms, studio strobes, tripod, ND filters...
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I have to partially apologize for this in advance because it is not, strictly speaking, about an image produced by the sort of reflectance George intended; that is a mirror-like effect in the frame.

This is about a mirror-like "reflection" in post-processing which might be called bilateral symmetry, produced in photoshop by simply cropping part of an image at one point, performing a horizontal or verticle flip under Image rotation, copying, matching up, pasting, and merging the two mirror image halves to produce an image simulating what might have been shot using a mirror.

What I've found to be interesting about this simple technique since I was introduced to it, is the very different effect the introduction of bilateral symmetry has upon the cognition; What would have seemed random is suddenly interpreted, at least in my mind, anthromorphically: One suddenly sees in it faces and eyes. And I think that perhaps that effect arises from the way our brains and minds came to be. So that line of thinking could be considered another use of the word "reflection".

Anyway, here is an example; first a shot of broken glass shards that were posted in a "liquid abstract" thread (since glass is acutally a super-cooled liquid, not a crystalline solid)

broken glass liquid 2 by ChicagoJohn, on Flickr

Then the result of cropping a portion, selecting a line of division along the horizontal axis, flipping and pasting the result against the original, and then rotating that result 90 degrees clockwise.

bilateral symetry in broken glass by ChicagoJohn, on Flickr

So, realizing that this wasn't George's intent, since there was not a lot else going on... :P
    Fred Berg likes this.
    I only went out for a walk and finally decided to stay out till sundown; for going out, I found, was really going in.” - John Muir

Equipment
    My cameras: Voigtländer Vitomatic 1a, Voigtländer Vitoret, Konica Z-UP 115e, Revue AC-5, Nikon P100, Sigma DP1s
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Photography is a portal through which we are transported to other worlds

Equipment
    My cameras: Voigtländer Vitomatic 1a, Voigtländer Vitoret, Konica Z-UP 115e, Revue AC-5, Nikon P100, Sigma DP1s
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    ChicagoJohn likes this.

Equipment
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    To me, this is pretty funny, after reviewing someone elses post earlier today. So I had put the camera stuff away for the weekend preparing to leave home on a business trip. Just before I was about to leave, I made a "pit stop", if you catch my drift, so I wouldn't have to pull over while driving.

As I was flushing, I happened to look in the mirror, which I have done similarly countless times before, but this time I happened to think of Yorkshireman, for some reason. Then I got the camera back out and took this. I didn't have time to play around with it because I have to go, but I thought it worth posting. A bit disturbing that my image didn't show up on it, I must say, but we'll figure that one out later.

reflections by ChicagoJohn, on Flickr

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK

PHOTO EDITING OK
    .. Cormorant

.. At the Zoo

~ Don
    ChicagoJohn likes this.
    "Donalds Camera" (Nikon user) *
    ~ Take a picture, .. it'll last longer ~

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    - great job everyone on this weeks theme

Equipment
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    The reflection of my daughter's profile is caught by the camera in the open window pane

ChicagoJohn likes this.

Equipment
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    This is a very interesting image to me, Fred Berg, because at first glance I interpreted it as if your daughter was standing in front of an illuminated patch on the curtains, thus causing a typical profile image.

But with your explanation, and looking into it further, the light is obviously coming from the right, not from the left as evinced by the shadow at the bottom of the windowsill. So, if my original interpretation of what I was seeing had been correct, the shadow at the bottom of the windowsill would have to go in the opposite direction.

Then it became clear to me about your comment about the "open window pane", and I saw that where the curtains are are behind a pane of glass that would otherwise seal off the open window.

Therefore, with the direction of the light from right to left and the fact that the area of the silhouette is actually a glass pane with curtains behind, and then realizing how the size of the bust is inappropriately small, I then realized that she was standing on the left side out of frame, and that what I was seeing was a reflection.

This may be much more obvious to others, but I'm just sharing what I had to go through in order to see it.

I like anything that makes me think this much. Now my real question for you; was this intentional or was it accidental?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Ads