Weekly Theme starting 7th October - "REFLECTIONS"

This is a discussion on Weekly Theme starting 7th October - "REFLECTIONS" within the Weekly Themes forums, part of the PHOTO PROJECTS category; "This one is so old it's almost an antique. I've been scanning in old slides taken more than 25 years ago, and I came across ...

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Weekly Theme starting 7th October - "REFLECTIONS"

Equipment
    Pentax K100D Super / K-5/Optio 80/cell phone, Tamron 90mm macro, 17-50 f/2.8, Pentax 50 f/1.4 , a few zooms, studio strobes, tripod, ND filters...
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    "This one is so old it's almost an antique. I've been scanning in old slides taken more than 25 years ago, and I came across this one this morning. It's at least new to digitizing, as I believe that it was originally a Kodachrome slide. It fits the theme, so I thought I'd have a go at my first post here. I'll try to come up with something new before the period ends"

What a nice first post, Preeb! It could be a sunset, but under these circumstances, it is the break of day; without a doubt. And with this wonderful beginning, I'm very much looking forward to your future posts.

What I like about this image, is the the bipolar dynamic range and the warm yellow-gold, almost sepia overall tone, the slightly off-center placement of the subject, which, I think, adds a bit of interest versus what a perfectly centered image would have provided, the clouds, of course, which look almost like a smoke signal traveling from right to left, but also how that smoke signal, is transfered into the water, sort of providing a connection between heaven and earth with the dark abyss in between.
    I only went out for a walk and finally decided to stay out till sundown; for going out, I found, was really going in. - John Muir

Equipment
    Pentax K100D Super / K-5/Optio 80/cell phone, Tamron 90mm macro, 17-50 f/2.8, Pentax 50 f/1.4 , a few zooms, studio strobes, tripod, ND filters...
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    You know, it just occurred to me that we are often too engaged in "setting the bar higher", as it were, and I thought it might be helpful, in order to provide perspective, to shoot for the lower end. This way, we can appreciate all the more the wonderful images that have been posted in this thread.

I don't mind doing this "dirty work" if my effort increases your enjoyment in viewing the other images here.

I calls it, "Thinking outsid the box."

The Rule of Turds by ChicagoJohn, on Flickr
    I only went out for a walk and finally decided to stay out till sundown; for going out, I found, was really going in. - John Muir

PHOTO EDITING OK
    .. good to see you back C.J.'
    What shitter speed did you use?

~ Don
    "Donalds Camera" (Nikon user) *
    ~ Take a picture, .. it'll last longer ~

Equipment
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by slutskaya View Post
    .. good to see you back C.J.'
    What shitter speed did you use?

~ Don
    Well, now that you aksed, I wanted to avoid introducing noise into the image and it was a rather overcast and low-light situation. I'm using a Pentax K100D Super, and I have to shoot in RAW because this camera does great in RAW but it sucks in jpg. OK. So that said, and it is an important prerequisite to answering your querstion, Don, the only other significant tools I had at my disposal (no pun intended) for this shot were aperture and shitter speed.

As we both know, in photography aperture and shitter speed are "orthogonal" or, in common language, independent. You can effect a change in aperture without affecting a change in shitter speed and vice-versa. Agreed?

Butt, in a driving rain, and depending upon the dog, I submit that one can posit a relationship between aperture, shitter speed and the integrity of the subject at the moment of capture.

Equipment
    Nikon
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    ChicagoJohn likes this.
    Nikon D300 - Nikkor 18-55VR, 55-200, 70-300VR - Sigma 50-500 (Bigma)
    Bogen Manfrotto Tripod, Manfrotto Monopod, & Ballheads
    All stuffed into two Pelican waterproof cases.

Equipment
    Nikon
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    ChicagoJohn likes this.

Equipment
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Up until this point, we have been recognizing reflections as a friend of the photographer. I think that is the intent that George had in creating this thread; i.e., to use reflections in a positive way. OK?

But it occurred to me that reflections can also be adverse to the intent of a photographer, and not that I am one, but I thought I'd post an example of what I mean. And since George did not specifically forbid such examples, if you have some or want to create some, I think I would love to see them!

Anyway, here is a close-up shot of my pet tortoise "Ball's" eye the way I intended it, pretty much, and then with the reflection emphasized....

Ball Close Up of Eye by ChicagoJohn, on Flickr

ancient eye reflection by ChicagoJohn, on Flickr

Equipment
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Gorgeous colors, Mountain Rider !!! Nice work.

Equipment
    Nikon
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJohn View Post
    Gorgeous colors, Mountain Rider !!! Nice work.
    Thanks John

Equipment
    Canon 60D, Canon lenses
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJohn View Post
    "This one is so old it's almost an antique. I've been scanning in old slides taken more than 25 years ago, and I came across this one this morning. It's at least new to digitizing, as I believe that it was originally a Kodachrome slide. It fits the theme, so I thought I'd have a go at my first post here. I'll try to come up with something new before the period ends"

What a nice first post, Preeb! It could be a sunset, but under these circumstances, it is the break of day; without a doubt. And with this wonderful beginning, I'm very much looking forward to your future posts.

What I like about this image, is the the bipolar dynamic range and the warm yellow-gold, almost sepia overall tone, the slightly off-center placement of the subject, which, I think, adds a bit of interest versus what a perfectly centered image would have provided, the clouds, of course, which look almost like a smoke signal traveling from right to left, but also how that smoke signal, is transfered into the water, sort of providing a connection between heaven and earth with the dark abyss in between.
    Thanks for the kind words. It actually was a sunset, and the way the dyes muted with age just seem to help the mood of the image. All I did when I scanned it in was to spot heal some dust and scratches and a remove what noise was possible. It mostly just looks like the original slide.
    ChicagoJohn likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Ads