Picture of the old high school/middle school

This is a discussion on Picture of the old high school/middle school within the Urban Photography forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; This is the school where my dad went to high school at and then it was turned into the middle school which is where I ...

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    This is the school where my dad went to high school at and then it was turned into the middle school which is where I went to. Now it sits empty.

CC welcome. I took it that way on purpose. Not sure if it adds interest or confusion. I also did an edit on it to give it an aged look. Let me know what you think.

original:

edited version:
    [b]Nikon D90*Nikon D40x * Nikon 18-55mm * Nikon 55-200 * Nikon 50mm 1.4
    My desire in photography is to capture the essence of life, to make others catch their breath at the purity of the moment captured, I'm still working on that.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Neat picture and I like the color one best myself.

not sure if the angle is a bit to imactful (I know that may not be a word) or if just a little less tilt would have been better?

Anyhow-nice color and pretty clear shot.
    Heather

My Blog

Jen
    Call me A Photo Forum Junky, I don't care!
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I like the edited version for the look of it but I don't think I'm fond of the angle.

I'd take some more shots...maybe from all different angles to see what works out best to capture this abandoned school. Maybe some from so lower to the ground angles looking up at the school or from the side like you did here but w/o the severe tilt.

The old school is a very good subject though!
    http://jenrinaldiphotography.smugmug...85_QHiat-S.jpg
    MYSPACE ~ FLICKR ~ DEVIANT ART ~ JPG
    Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm |
    Minolta 35-105mm
    "When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." ~Ansel Adams
    PHOTO FORUM WEEKLY THEME
    PHOTO FORUM PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGE

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Hmm. Interesting building! I like the color version best of these two.

I do agree with others; it's a bit too much tilt; it seems to make the building look shorter, rather than taller, as I think you might have been aiming for. It makes me feel like I should reach out and grab it, before it slides off the "table". The snipped off corner (upper right) detracts from the symmetry of the composition, too. I think Jen is right; take it from a lower angle and see if that doesn't make it look taller?

It's a very interesting structure. I wonder if it has concrete stairs, and/or a fancy scrolled facing on the entry side? Maybe the date it was built? These are good. Show me more!
    "Images Of The Vanishing West"

www.GreatBasinLife.com

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Hmm. Interesting building! I like the color version best of these two.

I do agree with others; it's a bit too much tilt; it seems to make the building look shorter, rather than taller, as I think you might have been aiming for. It makes me feel like I should reach out and grab it, before it slides off the "table". The snipped off corner (upper right) detracts from the symmetry of the composition, too. I think Jen is right; take it from a lower angle and see if that doesn't make it look taller?

It's a very interesting structure. I wonder if it has concrete stairs, and/or a fancy scrolled facing on the entry side? Maybe the date it was built? These are good. Show me more!

I will go back and take more angles. It has a huge smokestack that students through the years have painted their graduating year. I'll take one of that too. Thanks for all the advice. I'll be posting more pics of that building.
    My desire in photography is to capture the essence of life, to make others catch their breath at the purity of the moment captured, I'm still working on that.

Jen
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    My advice is this......(hope it helps )

If you shoot digitally take tons of shots. You're not paying for film so go crazy with the camera!!!

If you only shoot that one building in a whole day's then take a couple hundred! Go ahead and fill up your card and then dump it on the PC when you get home.

Shoot the subject of the day from every angle there is. Get close and shoot it looking up at...take it from far away...take it from the side...take it from the front, the back, etc etc Take it with the camera vertically and then horizontally. Snap Snap Snap!!

Take it standing up on something from a higher vantage point. Go crazy and lay on the grass and shoot the subject looking up at it from the ground!!!

On Sundays when I go out shooting with my sister ---we may only hit a few cool places in the day but I'll come home with 600...800 pictures. A bunch will be junk but when I take that many I end up with a lot of great ones too!

Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm |
    Minolta 35-105mm
    "When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." ~Ansel Adams
    PHOTO FORUM WEEKLY THEME

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    My advice is this......(hope it helps )

If you shoot digitally take tons of shots. You're not paying for film so go crazy with the camera!!!

If you only shoot that one building in a whole day's then take a couple hundred! Go ahead and fill up your card and then dump it on the PC when you get home.

Shoot the subject of the day from every angle there is. Get close and shoot it looking up at...take it from far away...take it from the side...take it from the front, the back, etc etc Take it with the camera vertically and then horizontally. Snap Snap Snap!!

Take it standing up on something from a higher vantage point. Go crazy and lay on the grass and shoot the subject looking up at it from the ground!!!

On Sundays when I go out shooting with my sister ---we may only hit a few cool places in the day but I'll come home with 600...800 pictures. A bunch will be junk but when I take that many I end up with a lot of great ones too!

Ditto! Ditto! Ditto!!

I shoot AT LEAST 100 pictures EVERY DAY (make that 300, since I've upgraded to a 1 Gig CF card) ... and I keep maybe 10 - 15 of them. The more you shoot, the better the odds of "accidentally" getting a few good ones. After a while, you know before you shoot, which ones are likely to be good ... but like the lady said, "If you're shooting digital" ... there is no point in being conservative about quantity. More practice = better pictures."
    "Images Of The Vanishing West"

www.GreatBasinLife.com

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Now this is the kind of CC I'm talking about.

This is so helpful. Thank you Thank you Thank you!

I actually asked my oldest if she and the 2yr old wanted to go with me to the school so I could take lots of pictures of it. Of course, in her 12 yr old way, looked at me like i had lost my mind. lol

I have a gig of memory on my camera too, so i will be posting tomorrow if the weather holds out.

thank you again.

julie

Jen
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    No problem
    That's why we're all here --- to learn from each other
    Minolta 35-105mm
    PHOTO FORUM WEEKLY THEME

I can identify with the subject, but I don't care for the tilt.

Rusty Tripod

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links