Miniature knight

This is a discussion on Miniature knight within the Still Life forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; Not sure where exactly to put this. This a painted chaos champion from the warhammer fantasy tabletop game. I shot this for a friend as ...

Not sure where exactly to put this. This a painted chaos champion from the warhammer fantasy tabletop game. I shot this for a friend as a lighting exercise. After having shot a few of these I'm realizing the shortcomings of my lens, I keep accidentally getting soft areas. Just looking for feedback, what works and doesn't work etc.

I looked at a lot of the photography of these minis and it irks me how flat they usually shoot them. A big part of the skill, I think, in painting these is working with the knooks and crannies. Also the use of shadows enhances the mood. I don't think the way I shot this detracts from the painting, but I've gotten no feedback from him.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I think these are very nice subjects to shoot, "and here comes the but" but i do think you need more spacing on the edges of the frame, the subjects are to close.
    Also i would be using a darker BG for such subject matter, maybe a very dark Brown or a Black BG would be more suitable.
    Then we come to the soft spots, What is your aperture setting at?, the softness may come from that.

Best regards Paul
    Go to bed with itchy bum, and wake up with stinky fnger!.

Olympus E420, E520, three different lens, and loads of bits and pieces

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I think these are very nice subjects to shoot, "and here comes the but" but i do think you need more spacing on the edges of the frame, the subjects are to close.
    Also i would be using a darker BG for such subject matter, maybe a very dark Brown or a Black BG would be more suitable.
    Then we come to the soft spots, What is your aperture setting at?, the softness may come from that, and do you use a tripod?.

Best regards Paul
    Go to bed with itchy bum, and wake up with stinky fnger!.

Olympus E420, E520, three different lens, and loads of bits and pieces

Quote Originally Posted by Bonsaidad View Post
    Then we come to the soft spots, What is your aperture setting at?, the softness may come from that, and do you use a tripod?.

Best regards Paul

My friend wanted a brighter background, that's why the first few are so bright. The last couple were me going low key with the red background. I'm pretty sure the softness comes from the cheap lens I'm using. I was at F22 for these I think. The lens I'm using is a Sigma 70-300 mm, if you shoot at the 250-300 range it has a macro focusing mode. Generally I set up a tripod, with shutter release, and I'm about 3 ft or so from the mini, just cuz that's the closest I can be. I notice that the closer I get to 300mm the softer the picture looks. I don't have a true macro lens, but I'm seriously considering getting one at this point. As for the cropping, I can see what you are saying, I'll keep that in mind when I crop these in the future. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

R0B
    Equipment
    Sony A77 + grip, Sony A200 + grip, Sony 16-50mm f/2.8, Sony 50mm f/1.8, Sony 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6, tokina 70-210mm f/4-5.6, 2 flashguns.
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    open the aperture up and shoot from further away, telephoto zoom lenses are generally sharpest at f11, and moving further away from it or zooming out will generally give the photo more depth
    500px.com/robellis
    http://facebook.com/robellisphotography

Sony A77, A200, Grips for both, 16-50 f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 18-70 f/3.5-5.6, 70-210 f/4-5.6, 2 flashguns.

NME Under 21's music photographer of the year runner up.

Quote Originally Posted by R0B View Post
    open the aperture up and shoot from further away, telephoto zoom lenses are generally sharpest at f11, and moving further away from it or zooming out will generally give the photo more depth
    Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. I know f/11 should be sufficient for the depth. I'll be sure to try it next time I shoot these.

very nice miniature of knights . wish i had one . nice shot !!
    “Photography takes an instant out of time, altering life by holding it still.” - Dorothea Lange
    don't stop clicking
    add my flickr

http://flickriver.com/badge/user/all...519066@N06.jpg

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links