2nd Rd Tassie Closed Titles

This is a discussion on 2nd Rd Tassie Closed Titles within the Sports forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; It’s been a while since I posted anything, but I hope to get more time to do so. I took these a couple of months ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Paint the sky with desire
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    It’s been a while since I posted anything, but I hope to get more time to do so.

I took these a couple of months ago on one of my free weekends. My cousin has always wanted me to take some shots of him racing (#79).

They aren’t great, but for a first attempt they aren’t too bad. I learned a few things during the day so next time they should be better (hopefully)!

1. Ready to go.

2. Three wide.

3. Winner!

4. In front.

5. Stepping out.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
    Col.
    Colblue's Blog[/url]

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Col I have NEVER even tried anything like this so I am in no position to comment but I think #4 is a great image, its clear and I absolutely love the angle on it.

Administrator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Great series!
    Admin

Jen
    Call me A Photo Forum Junky, I don't care!
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Col,

So glad to see your new post. They look really good! Have you made any sales of prints from the other riders?

I #2 - the one through the fence. Gives it the on-looker perspective.
    Also love the blur in #1 & #3.

Great work...you'll have to share what you learned during the day.
    http://jenrinaldiphotography.smugmug...85_QHiat-S.jpg
    MYSPACE ~ FLICKR ~ DEVIANT ART ~ JPG
    Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm |
    Minolta 35-105mm
    "When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." ~Ansel Adams
    PHOTO FORUM WEEKLY THEME
    PHOTO FORUM PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGE

PHOTO EDITING OK

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Thanks for the kind comments.

What I learned:

1. This is more for my camera than anything. I need to pre-focus on a spot to capture the action. (my auto focus isn't fast enough!)

2. Shooting head on or back on can be boring. It's better to have some sort of angle to the shot.

3. Since I had never tried Panning before, I used a manufacturers pre-set. While I did get a couple good motion blur shots, for the most part the settings were too slow (1/60 for the most part). I've since read that matching the shutter speed with the speed of the action is a good rule. So I'll probably set the shutter speed to 1/100, give or take a stop or two. Also pick up the thing your shooting early and rotate from the hips.

4. Putting a tilt on a more static shot makes it look more exciting.

5. If you can get onto the track, do so! I was offered the chance when I first arrived and, since I had little idea of how to shoot the action, I declined. I won't make that mistake again! (It's a little more dangerous but you can get closer to the action and the fence isn't in the way)

6. And probably the most important thing I learned was the race line. I had plenty of shots that could've been great but the drivers were on a different line.

I'm sure I'll learn more next time I get to a race!
    Colblue's Blog[/url]

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Great job, Col!

And thanks for sharing your tips.
    "Images Of The Vanishing West"

www.GreatBasinLife.com

Jen
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Thanks Col!

I think this will help me when I take photos at the horse race track (and some of the local auto race tracks)!
    Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm |
    Minolta 35-105mm
    "When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." ~Ansel Adams
    PHOTO FORUM WEEKLY THEME

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Sorry Jen, I got carried away with what I learned I forgot to answer your other question.

Unfortunately I haven't sold any prints to the drivers yet. I think once I go to a couple more races and people get to know me I'll have better luck.
    I emailed the person in-charge of the North West Kart Club website to see if he could link my site to their page but he hasn't as yet. He did like the look of the shots, which is a bonus I guess.
    Colblue's Blog[/url]

Jen
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Sorry Jen, I got carried away with what I learned I forgot to answer your other question.

Unfortunately I haven't sold any prints to the drivers yet. I think once I go to a couple more races and people get to know me I'll have better luck.
    I emailed the person in-charge of the North West Kart Club website to see if he could link my site to their page but he hasn't as yet. He did like the look of the shots, which is a bonus I guess.
    Well, that's a great start! That's how you get yourself marketed so just be persistent!

My sister does dog agility classes and may go to some competitions soon so I hope that if she does I can get involved with taking photos and sell them to the members....Dog agility is tough like the Karts because the motion of the dogs through the obstacles courses is so fast...you have to know what you're doing to get a good motion shot so that's why I'll take any advice I can get!
    Minolta 35-105mm
    PHOTO FORUM WEEKLY THEME

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links