Cycling and a Lazy Autofocus...

This is a discussion on Cycling and a Lazy Autofocus... within the Sports forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; Hi everyone. I am new to this foruma and would like you to help me solving an issue... My 15yo son races in on his ...

Thumbs up

Hi everyone. I am new to this foruma and would like you to help me solving an issue...

My 15yo son races in on his street bycicle. I like taking pictures at the races. To do that I use my Nikon D70 combined with an old Nikkor ED AF 80-200 1:2.8 D lens.
    Alas in this configuration my machine is way to slow to keep the focus on a peloton travelling at 40-50 km/h (say 30mph).

How can I proceed to solve this issue?
    Is it better to replace the lens with a smaller and lighter DX format lens (although I would like to mantain the current 1:2.8 luminosity) or should I plan to replace the D70 body with something more modern, such as a D7000?

Thanks in advance for your support!

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Welcome to the forum, Ulisse.

I don't know too much about the AF speed of the Nikkor, although that 80-200 has a strong reputation as nice glass. I am currently lusting for a D7000, in great part because of the advance AF system. 39 points, with 9 cross-type. I would think that would help.

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links