Newbie with picture critique wanted!

This is a discussion on Newbie with picture critique wanted! within the Rural Photography forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; I've recently started to get interested in photography. It started with iPhoto on my new iMac, and I started futzing around with it, then I ...

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I've recently started to get interested in photography. It started with iPhoto on my new iMac, and I started futzing around with it, then I bought Photoshop Elements and futzed around more. I also got a new iPhone and have been messing around with it. I stumbled upon a cross processing app for the iPhone and in an impulse buy (darn App store is way too convenient for impulse buys!) purchased it and have been messing around with it. I'd never heard of cross processing and thought it was a really cool effect. I like how photography lets you be creative in the midst of a busy life. It's easy to fit into your life and give you a creative outlet when you just don't have time for a whole lot of intense artwork. I don't have a fancy camera. Just my iPhone and a Pentax Optio W30 waterproof point-and-shoot camera that I got so I can take with me out on my kayak - especially when I'm fishing. Last thing I want to do is drop a camera in my kayak, get it wet, and ruin it!

Anywho, I was on a jog and stumbled upon this little spot by my apartment that was just begging for a picture. I'd been waiting for a pretty day and the right light (and no cars in the way) and finally got the shot this past weekend. Since it's pretty "rustic" looking (or something to that effect) I thought that a cross processed look would look pretty cool with this picture so I snapped a picture with my Pentax, added a layer in PSE and started messing around with the colors in to try my hand at my first digital version of a cross processed image. All constructive criticisms are very welcome! I thought it turned out pretty good (maybe a touch too blue but I'm not entirely sure) but you all are the experts. If I need to edit it some more let me know! And walk me through your criticisms. I'm completely green at photo editing!

Here's the original, unedited:

Here's the edited picture:

It's a very cool shot and I like the composition of the photo. I do think the blue you ended up with in the edited photo isn't a natural color of blue so for me it is distracting. I feel it takes away from the natural beauty of the photo. If I were editing this photo I think I would of just enhanced the colors a bit and played around with the shadowing. However it still is a very beautiful photo. Good job!

I like the idea of of the PP to add a little interest to this image - like it's an aged photo. It almost looks like the photo has been desaturated and color toned blue, but I'm not sure it's obvious enough to have it look like it wasn't a mistake.

I took a stab at it and toned down the blue and added a vignette.
    ___
    this is my sig

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Nice subject and well spotted. I like what Wolff did with your picture and how it just toned down that blue hue a little bit.

Keep the shots comin and
    The photographer formally known as "soul_blazer"

Minolta x-700
    Canon T1i
    Canon 70-300mm

Honest and open critique/criticism is always apreciated

Equipment
    Canon XTi Rebel and my imagination
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Soul_Blazer View Post
    Nice subject and well spotted. I like what Wolff did with your picture and how it just toned down that blue hue a little bit.

Keep the shots comin and
    What a beautiful scene, LOVE that bridge.
    Here it is with slight enhancement of the blacks and very little saturation. I also lowered the exposure about-.005
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

---------------------
    Greg

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links