Processing RAW

This is a discussion on Processing RAW within the Post-Processing forums, part of the Photography Tips category; Hi all! I haven't been here in a while and am a bit embarrassed to come asking for help when I haven't participated. I dropped ...

Thread: Processing RAW

PHOTO EDITING OK

Thumbs up

Hi all!

I haven't been here in a while and am a bit embarrassed to come asking for help when I haven't participated. I dropped my camera (Fuji point and shoot) months ago and ruined it so had to save up for a new one. I went ahead and stepped up into a D5000 instead of another point and shoot. I am having fun playing with it but still use the auto setting an awful lot. I know I will learn to use the manual settings more and more as I familiarize myself with it. So anyway, here is my issue. I have both Photoshop CS4 and Elements 5.0 but I can not open my RAW (.nef) files in either of them for post processing. I can open them in the Nikon viewer but am unsure of what to do next so I can do some editing.

Please help!

Thank you!

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Allie, I'm not sure about Elements 5 - theat's pretty old, but you should be able to go to the Adobe website and get updates for Adobe Camera RAW for your CS4 (ACR) which should then allow you to view and adjust your NEF files.

Welcome back!

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Thank you! Since posting I have been digging deeper and found some information about updating so I am going to try that. I appreciate your response! I am so excited to get back to taking pics and have a shoot scheduled for Saturday afternoon and a party on July 9th!

Super Moderator
    Equipment
    Canon 5D mk II, EF 14mm f/2.8L II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 300mm f/2.8L IS, Speelite 430EX II, 5380EX II
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Photoshop CS4 will do it, but you'll need to have Adobe Camera RAW 5.4 installed. Have CS4 check for updates.

Start CS4
    Navigate to "Help" -> "Updates..." and have it check.

According to Adobe's list on this page: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html your D5000 requires that you must minimally have their Camera RAW update 5.4 installed. CS4 comes with Camera RAW 5.0. So if you have never had it check for updates then that would explain why it wont work. Incidentally, 5.7 is the latest "Camera RAW" update that works with CS4. CS5 is on the Camera RAW 6.x series (I think 6.4 is the latest) but you can't install the 6.x series for CS4.

Once you start Photoshop and have it check for updates, it'll prompt you for permission to download and install them. The updater is actually launched as a new app and it cannot apply updates while Photoshop itself is still running and it doesn't close Photoshop automatically. When prompted to install the updates, manually close Photoshop before proceeding.

Once you learn to get out of 'auto' mode, you're really gonna love that new camera. I've noticed that a lot of people recommend the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.
    Tim Campbell

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by TCampbell View Post
    I've noticed that a lot of people recommend the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.
    I'm one of them. Outstanding book.

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

PHOTO EDITING OK
    You guys are right! I have a copy of Understanding Exposures and plan to take the time to read through it and play with the camera at the same time. I already love the camera but know I will enjoy it more as I actually learn more about getting the correct ISO, F-stops, etc. I bought it in a kit with the 18-55 mm lens, a macro 10x lens, several filters, a 42x fisheye, and some other macro lenses. I figured I could build on that with time and money.

I will check for updates on the CS4....I haven't used it in a long time so I am sure it needs updated!

Thank you for your help!

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I use Zoner Photo Studio for most of my RAW editing, and then I'll take it into my PS Elements 7, or CS 5 and work with them after they have been saved as a Jpeg.
    Weapons: A 1977 Praktica LTL3
    Kodak ZD710
    Nikon D-40 w/Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 55-200mm, & remote
    Kenko 420-800mm + 2X Teleconverter
    Digital Concepts Close Up Lens Set, Macro Ring Set.

Life Through A Lens, Is A Life Time Full Of Memories......

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Lightroom here then into CS4

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Thanks! DH is getting Lightroom for me and, I think, CS5.

My photoshoot on Saturday went ok. Unhappy mother and unhappy baby doesn't make it easy but sometimes these things are just out of my control. I did get some decent shots and will do the baby's first birthday party in a few weeks. Out of this, the mother's sister wants pics done, too, and possibly her mother! I'm just hoping their friends want pics and word spreads! It would be nice to be able to pay for my hobby out of this.

Equipment
    I use 35mm film, instant film and digital cameras
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I use Sigma Photo Pro 3.5 to start the ball rolling and then work on the saved jpeg copies in Photo Shop Elements 8. Elements 8 could be used by itself as it allows me to open my RAW files and work on them directly, but I find the Sigma software is outstanding and very versatile. However, I use a Sigma camera which takes X3F RAW photos and I have no idea if the Photo Pro software could be used with other RAW formats.
    Photography is a portal through which we are transported to other worlds

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links