Video Tutorial: Black and White Photography

This is a discussion on Video Tutorial: Black and White Photography within the Post-Processing forums, part of the Photography Tips category; Hi Everyone, First of all, I'm new to this forum, so... hello! I'm Matthew Gore. I'm sure that if you want to know anything about ...

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK

Hi Everyone,

First of all, I'm new to this forum, so... hello! I'm Matthew Gore. I'm sure that if you want to know anything about me, you'll follow my signature link. Now with that out of the way...

Last week, I decided to make a short video response to a question on my blog about black and white conversion. Then I added a little bit more, just to be thorough. Then I added some more examples... and in the end, I had a video that runs about 1 hour and 40 minutes!

It's posted as a single video on Vimeo, here:

and as an 8 part series on YouTube, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALcAqaTlYzM&hd=1

I hope that someone at this site finds it helpful! And of course, let me know if you have any questions

As Ever,
    Matthew Gore

(edited to add forgotten links )

(Of course, it's also posted on my own blog, along with other tutorials).

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Welcome aboard*
    .. WoW! .. Thank you Matthew so much for taking the time to put this great tutorial together!
    I'v been searching for something like this for a while', I won't have the time to really dive into it for a few day's but just by
    a quick thumb thru I can see that you were really patient & took your time explaining your technique!
    .. I dont have CS5, or any CS' for that mater' but I think my PSP' XIII should be compatable with what I'v seen thus far?

I love B&W' but usually end up with that washed out grey look on my feeble attempts.
    .. Can't wait to get started, thanx again.

~ Don ~
    "Donalds Camera" (Nikon user) *
    ~ Take a picture, .. it'll last longer ~

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Quote Originally Posted by slutskaya View Post
    Welcome aboard*
    .. WoW! .. Thank you Matthew so much for taking the time to put this great tutorial together!
    I'v been searching for something like this for a while', I won't have the time to really dive into it for a few day's but just by
    a quick thumb thru I can see that you were really patient & took your time explaining your technique!
    .. I dont have CS5, or any CS' for that mater' but I think my PSP' XIII should be compatable with what I'v seen thus far?

I love B&W' but usually end up with that washed out grey look on my feeble attempts.
    .. Can't wait to get started, thanx again.

~ Don ~

My pleasure! I hope that you find the time to watch it through... it gets more interesting as it goes on, I think Incidentally, it's probably easiest to watch if you download the whole video to your computer and then you can skip directly to where you've left off... or skip through boring parts (but not too many, I hope ).

A lot of this video is just theory, so even if the specific techniques don't work in the program that you use, something analogous probably will. For those who use Lightroom, the parts that I use do in Adobe Camera Raw can all be done in the develop module, of course. There are some parts where I use adjustment layers and layer blending modes and masks, and those parts probably will not translate to other programs.

Incidentally, I just noticed that you're from Marysville. I just moved to Florida, but have been living in Lake Stevens for the past couple of years!

- Matthew

PHOTO EDITING OK
    .. Hey' .. good thinkin Mathew, I'v got an older version of lightroom around here somewhere, not sure if it's
    compatible with this 64bit windows 7' on my new HP. I know my photoshop 7 was not

.. I pretty much grew up & went to school in Lk Stevens* .. lived in Machias & Granite falls most my life.
    Thanks again'

~ Don ~
    "Donalds Camera" (Nikon user) *
    ~ Take a picture, .. it'll last longer ~

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links