Contrast Trick

This is a discussion on Contrast Trick within the Post-Processing forums, part of the Photography Tips category; Here is a little thing I've been playing with lately to increase local contrast. It's quick and easy, but doesn't work on all images. It ...

Thread: Contrast Trick

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Here is a little thing I've been playing with lately to increase local contrast. It's quick and easy, but doesn't work on all images. It seems to work best on images where you just cannot get it to "pop" any other way, and is especially useful in areas of fine detail. I have been doing this towered the end of major color adjustments just prior to fine tuning.

Take a curves adjustment layer, and before you start actually making adjustments put it on the "overlay" mixing mode. Adjust the curves until the tone looks right, paying no attention to saturation, which will be all crazy.

The adjustment will be very sensitive, and will block up pretty easily, so bear that in mind. I've found that bumping level 32 or so helps. A little bit of curve adjustment here will go a long way.

Once finished duplicate the image, flatten this edition and copy it and copy back to your working file on it's own layer. Change the blending mode to "luminosity" to avoid color shifts in saturation caused by "overlay" mode. Adjust opacity to fine tune the effect and mask out any areas which are problematic.
    bear with me. i don't have an escape button...

I tried it out. That's a good technique to know. Thanks!

"I donít use an exposure meter. My personal advice is: Spend the money you would put into such an instrument for film. Buy yards of film, miles of it. Buy all the film you can get your hands on. And then experiment with it. That is the only way to be successful in photography. Test, try, experiment, feel your way along. It is the experience, not technique, which counts in camera work first of all. If you get the feel of photography, you can take fifteen pictures while one of your opponents is trying out his exposure meter." -Alfred Eisenstaedt

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I do the same thing but in levels by color channel. I found it can really beef up contrast with out stomping your detail.....

Agood tuturial can be found here

linky
    Get OUT and SHOOT Y'ALL...........Sitting at the 'puter don't make better photos!!!!!!

Some of my crappy photography on FLICKR

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I just found that if you begin with the hilight and shadow handles to level 64 (50%) so that the curve is a horizontal line rather than a diagonal one, the adjustment is less unrully. Also editing the color curves, opposed to just the composite curve, you get a lot of interesting control.
    bear with me. i don't have an escape button...

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links