Photoshopping in a Moon

This is a discussion on Photoshopping in a Moon within the Post-Processing forums, part of the Photography Tips category; I am doing some work for someone who wants a moon to be replaced in their pictures with one that has more detail, not just ...

I am doing some work for someone who wants a moon to be replaced in their pictures with one that has more detail, not just an out of focus circle. The current pictures have a person in them with the moon in front of their face (sort of looking at it) and others where its just in the background. I have tried it with a few different moons but they all seem to just look quite fake. I dont think I am allowed to post their images on here but can anyone help by maybe telling me how to photoshop a moon in so it looks realistic or where I can find free stock photos of full moon in the evening/sunset.
    Right now I am using full moon shots taken at night so that may be the problem but having a hard time trying to find ones taken in the day or evening.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    If the image you are pasting into is a daytime shot then you do need a moon taken in daytime/twilight and not night becasue as you say you cannot blend a nighttime moon into the image. Not sure if you will find free stock images of such a moon - maybe someone on the forum has one they would be generous enough to donate, they would probablty need a sample of the image to compare sky details - you could upload to photobucket or similar and provide a link.

Quote Originally Posted by yorkshireman View Post
    If the image you are pasting into is a daytime shot then you do need a moon taken in daytime/twilight and not night becasue as you say you cannot blend a nighttime moon into the image. Not sure if you will find free stock images of such a moon - maybe someone on the forum has one they would be generous enough to donate, they would probablty need a sample of the image to compare sky details - you could upload to photobucket or similar and provide a link.

I just remembered I had my own photo of a moon taken during the day from a few years ago and tried it out and it seems to look quite realistic. Thanks for the help though.

Shpongled
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Free moon photos Its a place to start at least.
    ------------------------
    Nikon D200
    Tamron 17-50mm VC
    Sigma 10-20mm
    SB-600 + Gary Fong Lightsphere
    Phottix Plato Wireless Remote

PHOTO EDITING OK
    If the image has out of focus portions in the background, but the moon is in focus it will always look strange. However, if the background has no detail or is sharp, this should work.

Here in the rockies, the moon is often visible all day and have noticed a few things about it during day/evening. The moon at dusk is softer and bluer than it is at night. A moon at sunset/day will also be quite blue, and more so than you might think. It may also help to blur/fade the edges (or waning edge) into the background. I would suggest actually using a 90-95% full moon as a full moon might look a bit strange (too perfect).

One problem with adding sun/moon is that there is a temptation to make them overly dark so that you have adequate detail. Remember, we all know what the moon looks like, so the more important thing here is to make sure that it looks "right", ensure that the moon is adequately bright for the scene with just enough detail that we can recognize the moon. None of us have telescopic eyes with voluntary irises, so a moon with perfect detail isn't really appropriate here.
    bear with me. i don't have an escape button...

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links