HDR techniques

This is a discussion on HDR techniques within the Post-Processing forums, part of the Photography Tips category; I've been really struggling with HDRs lately. When I first started trying them I had favorable results, the only thing that has changed was using ...

Thread: HDR techniques

88 miles per hour!
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I've been really struggling with HDRs lately. When I first started trying them I had favorable results, the only thing that has changed was using exclusively RAW instead of JPEG now. Now my HDR attempts either come out blurry (even though there is no camera shake and images are aligned), or really grainy (ISO is at 100), or has very odd dark spots. Perhaps the dark/light spots are most annoying. They aren't spots like dust or anything, though I do have problems with that, it's most like one whole side of the photo will be 1/2 exposure darker than the other or something.

I've tried many techniques, but I really want to get better at this and I am at a loss. Most tutorials go through Photomatix and the tools inside that program. Most people I'm sure take that HDR back into photoshop and do some more editing... What else is done to the photos, because the ones I see all over the place cannot be straight from photomatix, can they?
    Nikon D40x | 18-55mm /3.5-5.6 | 55-200mm /4-5.6 | 35mm /1.8
    deviantART | Flickr

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I am interesting in this information as well. I have not tried HDR yet, but have been wanting too. Been doing alot of reading on technique before I dive in and try it.

Shpongled
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I've been really struggling with HDRs lately. When I first started trying them I had favorable results, the only thing that has changed was using exclusively RAW instead of JPEG now. Now my HDR attempts either come out blurry (even though there is no camera shake and images are aligned), or really grainy (ISO is at 100), or has very odd dark spots. Perhaps the dark/light spots are most annoying. They aren't spots like dust or anything, though I do have problems with that, it's most like one whole side of the photo will be 1/2 exposure darker than the other or something.

I've tried many techniques, but I really want to get better at this and I am at a loss. Most tutorials go through Photomatix and the tools inside that program. Most people I'm sure take that HDR back into photoshop and do some more editing... What else is done to the photos, because the ones I see all over the place cannot be straight from photomatix, can they?
    Could you provide a detailed example? Such as, the before shots (bracketed) and after image? Are you bracketing at all? Photomatix can be frustrating sometimes because it exaggerates parts of an image in a ways that are undesirable. Most of my HDR's are straight out of Photomatix. I only go into photoshop to correct things that are obviously distracting to the untrained eye or if I am trying to get an image just right, that will eventually be printed. Sometimes, the images just do not align because my hand holding is awful so I end up doing a pseudo and have to work around the pitfalls of that process. Sometimes the way Photomatix interprets the images you put in is a crap-shoot and I just can't explain the results. I just try to make the best of the results and suck it up or take a new approach to the image.

I am interesting in this information as well. I have not tried HDR yet, but have been wanting too. Been doing alot of reading on technique before I dive in and try it.
    I say put down the book and dive in! Careful though, it's addicting and has a strong following of varying opinions on the results the HDR programs yield.
    ------------------------
    Nikon D200
    Tamron 17-50mm VC
    Sigma 10-20mm
    SB-600 + Gary Fong Lightsphere
    Phottix Plato Wireless Remote

88 miles per hour!
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Are you bracketing at all?
    Yes. I've tried 5 shots at 1 stop, 3 shots at 1 stop, 7 shots at 1 stop, 3 shots at 2 stops...nothing gives anything really great. My best (in my opinion) HDRs are from one-shot RAWs. I have no examples at hand, but I can try and post some later.
    Nikon D40x | 18-55mm /3.5-5.6 | 55-200mm /4-5.6 | 35mm /1.8
    deviantART | Flickr

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links