Post processing sofwtare

This is a discussion on Post processing sofwtare within the Post-Processing forums, part of the Photography Tips category; I have not yet started doing any post-processing on my images other than some basic fixes using the naive "Google Picasa" (dont laugh ) Can ...

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I have not yet started doing any post-processing on my images other than some basic fixes using the naive "Google Picasa" (dont laugh )

Can anyone suggest which one will be a good application to start with? PS seems to be universal and widely used ...

Can you people elaborate which Applications do you use & how useful you find them?? Am gonna do some research too ...
    The enemy of photography is the convention, the fixed rules of 'how to do'. The salvation of photography comes from the experiment. - Anonymous

~*^My Photo Blog^*~

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Depends on the budget, as always, pratosh, but Photoshop Elements and Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo are two excellent choices under $100.00 US.

Here's a link to deals available on Corel software through the forum.

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.
    (Albert Einstein)

88 miles per hour!
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I absolutely 100% suggest Adobe Lightroom 2.2. It's basically Photoshop but the GUI is way easier. If you want to crop the photo you just click the crop; if you want to change it to black and white, you uh, just click greyscale. No need to needlessly navigate through tools and menus and try to figure out how curves work.

Don't get me wrong, having photoshop knowledge is key and will help you, but my workflow is totally streamlined with Lightroom:

I put the SD card into computer and Lightroom automatically boots up. Lightroom automatically copies my RAW files to a folder of my choice for backup. Lightroom never modified these files, and you have to export your modifications. Lightroom automatically applies a meta template for imported RAW files. Modification is easily done from the 'develop' tab...and you can change contrast, exposure, levels, curves, colors, saturation, clarity, vignettes, crop, whit balance, sharpness, noise levels, clear dust spots, apply gradients, and much more. I love it. Try it out.

If I need to do anything more advanced I just open up GIMP and import the file I produced with Lightroom. I have found gimp to be a great alternative to Photoshop. Other programs I use are Photomatix for HDRs, and Panorama Factory for panos
    Nikon D40x | 18-55mm /3.5-5.6 | 55-200mm /4-5.6 | 35mm /1.8
    deviantART | Flickr

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Photoshop is very good, especially recent versions. It is by far the easiest to use and most flexible of all the most powerful editors. Gimp is a good option if you don't care about 16-bit processing, but i feel it lacks a lot of features such as adjustment layers - which I find a huge disadvantage and a memory waster. Gimp was never intended to be used for photography until recently.

Krita is always a false promise. The application is interesting in theory but slow to use in practice. If Krita can improve it's speed issues, it would make a supurb replacement to GIMP. Maybe it would run better on LINUX than Mac OS, but who knows.

I use Photoline32. It's fully developed and in it's 15th version. It is fairly stable on OS X and is inexpensive with a full featured demo which doesn't really expire, even if it says it does (i'm on day 100-and-something of 30. I do plan to buy it, but it's kind of hard to get motivated, lol).

Photoline has most of the features that Photoshop does, plus a few extras. Most tools, including levels and curves, allow you to switch between LAB, RGB and HSL models without changing the working color model of the layer, which comes in handy. Individual layers may be 8 or 16 bit. The UI can be a bit clunky, especially if you're used to photoshop and layer handing is pretty awkward at times - so for photo montage and special effects/trick photography it might be a bit cumbersome or difficult to get used to.

However, it has full 16-bit support, adjustment layers, filter layers, quick masking, and all the other important features of photoshop.

I am experimenting with Blender, a general purpose 3d animation and special effects package. Which is tremendously powerful if you know how to use it for photography. I am waiting on a more stable version of 2.5 to come out.
    bear with me. i don't have an escape button...

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by pratosh View Post
    I have not yet started doing any post-processing on my images other than some basic fixes using the naive "Google Picasa" (dont laugh )

Can anyone suggest which one will be a good application to start with? PS seems to be universal and widely used ...

Can you people elaborate which Applications do you use & how useful you find them?? Am gonna do some research too ...
    I would have to agree that photoshop is the best bet. Even if you go with essentials. I would consider buying the full version if you are serious about doing any heavy enhancing.

The reason i recommend photoshop is due to the fact that most people use it and there are 100s if not 1000s of tutorials online.

I sometimes use aperture to go through my photos and make adjustments to the raw files. But very rarely. I pretty much stick to photoshop for everything.
    Flickr

A Mac Canon fanboy at his finest.

visit my day job and check out all the neat gadgets:
    www.utopiatools.com

I use Photoshop CS4. It's the industry leader for a reason, and I've been using Photoshop since version 3 or 4.

Lightroom is cheaper than CS4, and contains everything in Adobe Camera Raw plus 90% of what I need for processing photos as in CS4.

Lightroom does not have these features:
    merge to HDR
    photomerge (stitching)
    patch tool (LR does have a healing brush, but it's like a brush tip rather than a selection lasso)
    free transform (used to adjust/warp perspective)

I also prefer my own sharpening actions that I use in CS4, but I could live with LR sharpening.

EDIT: I just learned that Elements has Adobe Camera Raw, in which case it should be able to do everything LR can as far as processing goes.
    "I dont use an exposure meter. My personal advice is: Spend the money you would put into such an instrument for film. Buy yards of film, miles of it. Buy all the film you can get your hands on. And then experiment with it. That is the only way to be successful in photography. Test, try, experiment, feel your way along. It is the experience, not technique, which counts in camera work first of all. If you get the feel of photography, you can take fifteen pictures while one of your opponents is trying out his exposure meter." -Alfred Eisenstaedt

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Peach View Post
    I also prefer my own sharpening actions that I use in CS4, but I could live with LR sharpening.

If you don't mind sharing, could you describe your routine for sharpening? I am not terribly excited about the teks I've been using.
    bear with me. i don't have an escape button...

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links