Optimizing a photo

This is a discussion on Optimizing a photo within the Photoshop Playground forums, part of the PHOTO PROJECTS category; My photography skills are so-so. The attached graphic shows a weak histogram. The pic is with no level correction. I shoot a lot of glass ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Optimizing a photo

Optimizing a photo

My photography skills are so-so. The attached graphic shows a weak histogram. The pic is with no level correction. I shoot a lot of glass products. Can I get some tips and tricks or help on what I am doing wrong. If I have time, I outline/highlight the reflections within the glass but I am spending to much time fixing and should get a better shot.

I use a D-50 Nikon with a standard lens.

Thank you for your help with this.

Name:  histogram-for-glass.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  31.4 KB

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I'm no expert, but I think the glass would stand out more if you had a more colorful background... wouldn't it?
    Cobwebs Design and creastano like this.
    "Eres el desastre mas bello que ojos humanos han visto."

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    A histogram merely graphically indicates the range of tones in an image. In this shot of a clear glass on a medium gray background, that range (contrast) is limited and the resulting histogram is to be expected.

You could make a levels adjustment and increase the contrast, thereby extending the histogram. But that doesn't necessarily make a better image.

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
    A histogram merely graphically indicates the range of tones in an image. In this shot of a clear glass on a medium gray background, that range (contrast) is limited and the resulting histogram is to be expected.

You could make a levels adjustment and increase the contrast, thereby extending the histogram. But that doesn't necessarily make a better image.
    Thanks for the reply folks.

Grandpa. .. It was taken on a white bkgd. Note: I shot this in auto mode. Maybe the gray is the camera compensating for all the white? I do a lot of photoshop on images like this adding hilights etc but I need better quality input.

Any suggestions on how to set up a shot in manual mode. I have tried aperture mode as well. I can shoot in manual mode but I just don't get the right results.

Many years ago, I was a big fan of Ansel Adams 12 tone system but I am unable to implement his theory and take a well rounded shot.

Thanks again.

logiclab
    Last edited by logiclab; 08-19-2011 at 03:40 PM. Reason: more stuff

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Yep - in automatic mode your camera's meter is going to turn that white background a perfect medium gray.

Try manual, metering on the white background and set your exposure to 2 stops OVER the camera's recommendation. In terms of the tone system, think of medium gray being a 5 and you want to push the white to 7 or 8.

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

metering on the background and 2 stops over.

thanks Grandpa.

Loony - I am trying to stay away from various bkgds. There are a lot of product shots and a clean white bkgd that features the product is what we are going for. You are right, for certain special shots, a colorful bkgd helps my shots a lot.

A multi color bkgd will help remove the blah gray from the auto metering.

Thanks Loony.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Oh! I didn't get what you were doing. You're featuring the product. Then yes, it makes sense and I see what you want to do with the gray/white. Show us what you come up with after the suggestions they said here, I'd like to see!
    "Eres el desastre mas bello que ojos humanos han visto."

This is the kind of stuff I am doing

This is a close-up. I do a lot of Photoshop stuff to the pic. Glass is very hard for me to make look good so I accent the existing reflections and curves and make up some fake new ones. There is hardly a part of my pics that don't get retouched.

I don't do the setup. One of the women that work here do that.

Name:  stem-glass.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  51.9 KB.

This is the complete pic.

Name:  stem-glass-3.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  20.9 KB

logiclab

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Glass and other shiny surfaces (like metal) are not easy to shoot and can be tricky. Try using broad-base light sources and reflectors close to your subjects. Glass (and crystal), especially, needs to be looked at as a balance ( and maybe trade-off...) of light transmission and light reflection.

i actually like the two examples that you posted of the long stemmed glasses with candles. what is lacking are strips if highlights on the side because it blends with the black bg. maybe you can use some strip lights on one side and create some highlight. some thing like this. better if you can create this on camera

Last edited by bianni; 08-21-2011 at 04:46 AM.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links