How to make it look like the 1970's?

This is a discussion on How to make it look like the 1970's? within the Photoshop Playground forums, part of the PHOTO PROJECTS category; Here's my photo: I would like some tips on shooting, what sort of lighting, camera set up, etc., and or editing in photo shop to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Here's my photo:

I would like some tips on shooting, what sort of lighting, camera set up, etc., and or editing in photo shop to get something that looks like the 1970's, stuff like this, kinda warm, grainy, etc:

PHOTO EDITING OK
    IMO, a big part of the vintage look here is the clothes, makeup, hair! and props.

Here's my attempt though, in PP.

I pack two things wherever I go: A gun and a camera. You probably don't want to end up in front of either one.

If you like me, like my facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by konstantkarma View Post
    IMO, a big part of the vintage look here is the clothes, makeup, hair! and props.
    Looks cool.

I"m not necessarily interested in creating the vintage theme as far as hair and make up, although that is fun, but just the look of the photos as far as tone, grain, etc.

here ya go this is my attempt.

Here is my try

lost. always lost..
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    a few curves layers to adjust the color and contrast, and a sepia layer for more color adjustment. the background layer duplicated and placed on the top of the stack with a lowered opacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave WI View Post
    Here is my try

So far I like this one best. It's really grainy and gritty.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    This was a fascinating concept to work with! I'm so accustomed to making images look tighter it was a challenge to
    now break it down, and make it into a purposefully lesser quality!

I first treated it as though it was a standard image and went after the lighting. Used a red channels mask (reversed it (control-I)) along with an unaltered levels layer...then set that layer
    to the screen blending mode. Since the red channel brings through the color of the skin, by inverting the channel it now protects the skin. One wasn't enough so I doubled down on that effect.

Then went to the other older image (I had your included samples open in photoshop alongside the edit) and grabbed the orange color and filled a blank layer, set that one to color mode, masked out the
    model. Then some other little stuff, but that was the basics.

Now for the 70's look... The hardest part about getting there involves the need to compromise the current quality of digital photography. You can see it on TV all the time when they're trying to make a new
    image look old... you can still tell that it's new, being made to look old. This is a difficult transition to make!

I found that flattening the image with a brightness/contrast adjustment layer helped a lot in this case. Slide the contrast adjustment slider all the way to -100, and make another copy of that one giving a -200.

Then added some grain, just a little...

Sharpened what I had so far, which brought more of the grain out... blurred that a little... then sharpened it again

But still how to get that old-timey look? The secret may well be found in messing with the "saved" resolution.

I first saved it as a GIF file... using the "Save for web and devices" option. There's an option there that allows you to save the image with only 64 colors.

Then re-opened the GIF file in photoshop and then saved it again as a low-res JPG file. That seemed to get it closer to that generally washed out look of back-when.

It likely could use some more tweaking but this is what I've come up with so far using the variables that's come to mind with this first pass....

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Here is mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My shot at it.

I wont shoot a wedding for any amount of money.

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links