How do you take a portrait on a white vinyl backdrop?

This is a discussion on How do you take a portrait on a white vinyl backdrop? within the Photography Tips forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; I am a mommy wanting to take some birthday pictures of my child on a pure white vinyl backdrop. I posted last week about using ...

PHOTO EDITING OK

How do you take a portrait on a white vinyl backdrop?

I am a mommy wanting to take some birthday pictures of my child on a pure white vinyl backdrop. I posted last week about using my very limited lighting equipment and it sounds like I don't have enough lighting to properly expose the backdrop to achieve pure white color tone instead of a gray tone.
    So I am wondering.... how can I properly expose the backdrop if I hung it outside in natural light?...should I hang it in a shady area or direct sunlight, etc... I will be shooting with my Nikon D300 and 50mm.
    Furthermore, my child has very fair skin, which makes everyday pictures somewhat difficult to not overexpose her face. Her fair skin and a white backdrop...may be I am just setting myself up for a challenge
    Tips and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Shooting out of doors isn't going to be any better; the secret is having more light on the background then on the subject, so unless you have a LARGE diffusion panel with which to shade the child, it's going to be the same, or worse. My suggestion would be to simply shoot the scene as best you're able with your gear, and then increase the background exposure using post-processing. Separating the child from a white(ish) background shouldn't be too difficult.
    Visit my website: John's Photography Comments and critique always appreciated.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links