Shoot first.... focus later?

This is a discussion on Shoot first.... focus later? within the Photography News and Views forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; This is pretty cool (I think). The camera allows you to shoot a picture without focusing. You can then focus the shot LATER. It uses ...

Super Moderator
    Equipment
    Canon 5D mk II, EF 14mm f/2.8L II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 300mm f/2.8L IS, Speelite 430EX II, 5380EX II
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    This is pretty cool (I think). The camera allows you to shoot a picture without focusing. You can then focus the shot LATER. It uses something called a micro-lens array. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but my wild-guess would be to wonder what would happen if you were to baffle and split light to many different imaging sensors... each one have a slightly differ back-focus than the next, such that you'd really capture a good half-dozen or so different focus distances each time you take the a shot and then can choose which one you want.

Not sure... but here's the article in the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/22/technolo...amera.html?_r=1

ALSO... because it wouldn't be any fun if you couldn't play... here's a link to an image (Flash technology required) that you can click on. As you click, the image re-focuses to the point you clicked on. Allegedly this simulates how the product works. You can watch the focus distance change as you click.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/06...622-CAMERA.html

Unfortunately they didn't post images of the camera or a good explanation of how it works (the sort of thing I'd like to read in a science magazine or perhaps a dedicated photography magazine.) They also didn't explain what, if any, drawbacks or trade-offs are associated with this. For example... I'm wondering if it requires a LOT more light because it needs to split it across several more sensors. Sounds like a really cool concept, but I'd like to learn more.

Regards,
    Tim
    Tim Campbell

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    The second link to the image you click on is neat - I hate to imagine what the camera costs also. This could also be used for image stacking to give a great DOF

PHOTO EDITING OK
    At first I thought this sounded ridiculous but it's brilliant! Imagine, you can take a picture (without focusing) then go back later and experiment with what is in focus. You could make so many different version of the same image. But you're right, it's probably really pricey! Thanks for sharing this

Equipment
    Canon 6D Canon 35 f2 IS Canon 100 f2.8 Macro Canon 24-105 f4 IS Canon 70-200 f 2.8 L IS II
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    First focus then shoot! Whats the point to have an unfocused image?
    __________________________________________________ ____

Foto Nunta Brasov | Fotograf Nunta | Foto video nunta

PHOTO EDITING OK
    it's some kind of Photoshoping I THINK

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I heard about it, it's Lytro camera.
    I think the point of this technology is its capture a lots of photo with focus on many objects.
    And after that, you can easy choose which photo is good for you

Equipment
    Canon stuff
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Eventually a camera will have perfect focus in every part of the picture.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links