Winning painter copies photograph

This is a discussion on Winning painter copies photograph within the Photography News and Views forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; There's a few things that bother me. Though many (possibly even most) painters will paint from a photo, I would think it was either their ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator
    Equipment
    Canon 5D mk II, EF 14mm f/2.8L II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 300mm f/2.8L IS, Speelite 430EX II, 5380EX II
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    There's a few things that bother me.

Though many (possibly even most) painters will paint from a photo, I would think it was either their own photo OR they'd get permission and attribute credit. It's as though one artist thinks their art is the only one that counts and they don't respect the rights of another artist.

My own father used to paint from photos, but (a) they were his OWN photos and (b) he never actually painted the exact composition of the photo -- he always left some things out and/or added other things in, or moved objects around, etc. His own thoughts were "if I wanted an exact copy of the photo then I'd just print and frame an enlargement of the photo" The photo merely gave him ideas.

Yet this photo is _clearly_ an exact copy of the photo with every compositional detail -- background buildings, car headlights, etc. Nothing is removed, added, moved, etc.

I wonder how the same artist would feel if a photographer took a photo of their painting and started distributing it without permission or attribution -- then claimed they had "looked at lots of paintings to draw inspiration".
    Tim Campbell

lost. always lost..
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    unfortunately the photographer isn't the only one who loses in this situation. all of the other contestants who actually came up with a original and creative idea also lose. it all comes down to pure selfishness on the part of the painter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links