Marauding Photographers with tripods

This is a discussion on Marauding Photographers with tripods within the Photography News and Views forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; Took my new camera to a wonderful car museum the beginning of July .... the Clive Cussler Auto Museum in Colorado. Dusenbergs, Rolls, Stutz .... ...

Took my new camera to a wonderful car museum the beginning of July .... the Clive Cussler Auto Museum in Colorado. Dusenbergs, Rolls, Stutz .... incredible cars by the dozens. I was learning how to use the camera but was pretty sure I got some great shots. Got home and had a problem with the card and all the shots got eaten when I tried to read the card. No problem, I was lookinbg forward to going back and did so a month later.

As I'm unloading my gear in the parking lot, the nice lady was obviously walking on eggshells as she let me know that tripods were no longer allowed in the museum. Said they had too many incidents of people tripping over them, photographers knocking them over into cars, etc.

Never heard of such a thing. I've heard of flash photography being prohibited ... with good reason in some cases ... but I've NEVER heard of tripods being prohibited ? Is this as unusual as I think it is ?

kb

Equipment
    Canon, Cambro/Calumet
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I've had a number of museums refuse tripods, as well as flash.
    Capture all the photons you want; the universe will make more.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    In my experience it's running about 50/50. I think that there's genuine concern over safety issues. It also makes it a lot tougher to get images that you can sell for stock photography. In some places both tripods and camera bags are forbidden. During my recent trip through the Loire Valley in France, I was able to use the tripod most of the time. The notable exception was Chambord, the magnificent "hunting lodge" built by Francois I. At Chambord both the tripod and my camera sack were forbidden. They turned me back at the entrance and pointed me toward free lockers. They said I could put my sizable tripod in my wife's Ikea sized hand bag. I was wearing my "photographer shorts" so I had more space in my pockets than I had in my camera bag; nothing needed was left in the locker. I had a similar thing happen to me at the local art museum; lockers, no flash, no tripod. (The related Natural History museum allows both.)

It's a good idea to check the regulations before you buy the tickets, you might end up with a ticket you can't use. I'm not too comfortable putting a few thousand dollars worth of gear "behind the counter".

Charles
    I currently spend a fair amount of time on Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/103236949470535942612

my personal website (not very current I'm afraid): clupica and family
    my photogarphy : cwlupica - Photograher
    my photos on SmugMug. StudioLupica on SmugMug
    me on facebook: Charles Lupica
    My fan page on facebook: StudioLupica

Looks like it's more prevalent than I thought.

But of course I don't get out much

kb

Proud Nikon Shooter
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRay View Post
    I've had a number of museums refuse tripods, as well as flash.
    It is a growing trend. New rules pop up every year. Once one museum has an issue, they all fall into the same cover your *** mode.
    Steve

Never complain, Never explain. Learn it, live it

Our blog
    Our website
    My gear list

Photographer of sorts
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Indeed it is a trend. I think the most laughable example I encountered was at Lacock Abbey where I was told photography was not permitted, even in the in museum area. Of course, Lacock Abbey was home to William Fox Talbot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Fox_Talbot ) one of the early pioneers of photography.

I discussed the irony of this stance with the curators at some length.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Yes, here with us you can not just train station to use a tripod
    can imagine that the museum should not

greets
    Regards,
    Korandoke
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    My webpage

PHOTO EDITING OK
    meh. no great loss IMO. never been a big fan of photographs of other people's art to start with...
    bear with me. i don't have an escape button...

lost. always lost..
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkle_turnip View Post
    meh. no great loss IMO. never been a big fan of photographs of other people's art to start with...
    ditto, but the architecture in some places can be too gorgeous not to photograph.

oddly enough longwood gardens recently adopted a no tripod rule, but they allow monopods up until 1pm. after that no monopods are allowed on the property.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links