Be Careful How You Hold Your Camera

This is a discussion on Be Careful How You Hold Your Camera within the Photography News and Views forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; Is it me, or does it seem strange to think that a spy for some international terrorism organization would use pro equiptment? When I was ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Is it me, or does it seem strange to think that a spy for some international terrorism organization would use pro equiptment?

When I was shooting around town once a cop drove by real slowly, I was prepared to ask him what kind of person would use an SLR camera with a non-zoom manual focus lens which does not have auto-aperture to do something illegal? Every shot I take takes about 10 times longer to compose with the gear I have. Wouldn't a $70 point and shoot that fits in a coat pocket make more sense?

It seems like whenever you hear of cases like this, they're using expensive conspicuous camera equipment. I guess they don't want to accidentally harass Dick and Jane on their weekend escapades.
    bear with me. i don't have an escape button...

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Good point.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    If I try to look at this from the police point of view, I can imagine the outrage from the public if it was known after an incident that a terrorist was seen taking pictures of public target, refused to give his details to the police, and they just let him walk away. Especially if he was out there with huge lenses and a tripod set-up.

However, I don't like the whole scenario where the law says you don't have to give your details but if you don't you're exhibiting "anti-social" behaviour and can be arrested and forced to give your details. Nice little Catch-22 there. I'm also a little sensitive to the "anti-social" criteria. I have an adult son with Aspergers - known for very poor social skills - so does this make him a criminal if he takes up photography?

All in all though, if it was me, I'd be more inclined to be open and honest with the police so we could both go about our business as quickly as possible.

Marie
    Marie
    Nikon D5000, Nikkor AF-S 18-55mm VR f/3.5-5.6,
    Nikkor AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Most if not all the news I have seen related to photography and police have been coming out of the UK. There also new anti-photography laws being proposed there that have me worried as well. I know in Quebec in Canada there are already some unique and ridiculous laws against public photography, but nothing happening in Quebec compare to the paranoia gripping the UK. There have even been at least one pro-photography protest in the UK in response to the police actions of late and the proposed laws.

Photographers protest UK terror law
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/01/23...test/index.html

Photography under threat: The shooting party’s over
    Did you hear the one about the mother banned from taking a snapshot of her baby in the pool? Or the student prevented from photographing Tower Bridge at sunset? Be warned. The authorities now have the power to confiscate your camera — or even arrest you — for daring to take a picture in public

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle7050481.ece
    David Ngo
    Olympus C7070WZ + Metz 48 AF-1 + Photoshop CS2

PHOTO EDITING OK
    A neighbor of ours went to India.
    They are not allowed to take ANY photos of any infrastructure period.

Look at this from both ways, creeps use cameras too. It is the few bad ones that create a great big stir and a huge sensational story.

As for the terrorist act? Well anyone could 'Google Earth' and get a pretty detailed picture of the place I work and I have to 'report' suspicious photographers to my supervisor.
    The world is a strange place.
    *I believe in God, only I spell it Nature. ~Frank Lloyd Wright, quoted, 14 August 1966*

Assorted cameras.
    P&S
    Nikon D40
    Olympus E-420

My Flickr

Mulewings~My Blog
    Val

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Missed this first time round - bloody jobs worth some on them - the guy was being slightly confrontational and I think was trying to make a point on behalf of "us" photographers - what I would like to know is how you hold a camera suspiciously so that I don't do it, if it is putting it up to your eye and pressing a button then in trouble

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I think that's mostly what I was getting at, George. If I were stopped, there's no doubt that in the back of my mind I'd be saying "Oh, jeez - here we go..." but my experience has been that being respectful and courteous delivers a better outcome.

I just want to know how to avoid holding my camera in an anti-social way!

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
    I think that's mostly what I was getting at, George. If I were stopped, there's no doubt that in the back of my mind I'd be saying "Oh, jeez - here we go..." but my experience has been that being respectful and courteous delivers a better outcome.
    Shouldn't the police be respectful and courteous as well? If the police were respectful, they would not be making trouble for photographers, accusing of stupid things without proof. You guys accuse the photographer of being "confrontational", but it is not the photographer who initiated the confrontation in the first place. The police are trying to force photographer to hand over their personal information - would you give it to them? I personally wouldn't.

David Ngo
    Olympus C7070WZ + Metz 48 AF-1 + Photoshop CS2

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by NDAv View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
    Shouldn't the police be respectful and courteous as well? ...
    Well, yes, of course they should but they rarely are, and that's a fact of life. Dealing with authoritarian personalities has already gotten more than a few people killed; so far, to my knowledge, no photographers have been killed by such people but, if history runs true, it's just a matter of time...

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I don't see how taking pictures of things which can be seen in public could be a threat...? Frankly, with the advent of camera phones we may as well move onto the next issue, pictures will be taken everywhere. Something tells me terrorist plots aren't being planned with a wide angle lens and a tripod.

But I'm not from the UK... so I don't have a dog in this fight. I wonder if this happens in the US as well and isn't getting as much media coverage? Although, I was on the lawn of the eletric company the other day taking shots and several employees passed me and no one said a dern thing. Maybe I'll try shooting in a more anti-social manner as a social experiment.
    -Laura-
    Digital: Olympus E-410- Zuiko 14-42, Zuiko 40-150

Film:
    Olympus OM-2 (35mm film) -Zuiko 50mm- Zuiko 75-150mm- Soligor 28mm- Sigma 35-70mm Macro

"People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing." Dale Carnegie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links