Was award-winning wolf wild or a model?

This is a discussion on Was award-winning wolf wild or a model? within the Photography News and Views forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; Wildlife photographer stripped of prize for shot of leaping critter...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Admin

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Tamelife Photographer of the Year?

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

Photographer of sorts
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I read that elsewhere. It did make me chuckle.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    A camera club member told me last night that a wildlife and wolf expert started the debunking of this picture- he said a wild wolf would never jump over a fence but would go under it. Others agreed, and they started looking for this wolf on websites of wolf trainers. They saw a picture of this wolf and contacted the trainer who confirmed the dates that the photographer had the wolf.

Nikon Shooter
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Huh. Go figure.

That's the winning shot? I'm actually surprised- I don't think it's that fantastic. I can't believe it beat out 43,000 + other entries. He caught a unique moment in time, yes, but that doesn't make it a great picture.

I guess the lesson here is that photographers can't break the rules- by nature, you are providing photographic evidence of your crime!

If he did break the rules, I'm glad he got caught. But if there had been a better photograph that won, this one never would have been questioned.

But as the article states, I hope this doesn't mean that every photograph that is "unique" is questioned as a fraud.

Regards,
    Marlo

Check out my blog! --- http://marlomontanaro.wordpress.com

Proud Nikon Shooter
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    And people wonder why the level of competition has fallen so low in recent years... This whole debate about natural versus staged is seriously out of hand.

All the whining in the world won't stop it, just like it doesn't stop the photoshopping of the pretty models that grace every magazine cover. People will always whine about what they cannot do.
    Steve

Never complain, Never explain. Learn it, live it

Our blog
    Our website
    My gear list

Nikon Shooter
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    When you think about it, why does it matter? Who said that a great photograph has to capture reality?

OK, so they made up a silly rule for their contest, so if he violated it, I can see the disqualification. But I think it's a silly rule. A wolf is a wolf is a wolf, in my mind. If that exact animal had been a healthy wild animal, would he look different? Maybe he wouldn't have jumped over the fence- but in a truly wild habitat, the fence probably wouldn't have even been there- so shame on the judges for not questioning it sooner.

If you had photoshopped a cow jumping over the moon, would it be any less of a cow, or the moon?

Regards,
    Marlo

Check out my blog! --- http://marlomontanaro.wordpress.com

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I totally agree, Penguin. It's a photograph, if people want to see what reality looks like they should go outside with their eyes open. :P
    -Laura-
    Digital: Olympus E-410- Zuiko 14-42, Zuiko 40-150

Film:
    Olympus OM-2 (35mm film) -Zuiko 50mm- Zuiko 75-150mm- Soligor 28mm- Sigma 35-70mm Macro

"People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing." Dale Carnegie

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Yeahhh! Professionals should be allowed to enter all amateur athletic competitions and smash about as they want. Automatic weapons should be allowed in prize fights- one deadly weapon's the same as another And wrestling weight limits are silly, too- Just give me one good reason a 210# wrestler shouldn't be allowed to wrestle a 135# guy! Avaunt, all ye silly rules! Let anarchy reign!

•  
    Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links