Ken Rockwell: Your Camera Doesn't Matter

This is a discussion on Ken Rockwell: Your Camera Doesn't Matter within the Photography News and Views forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; Why is it that with over 60 years of improvements in cameras, lens sharpness and film grain, resolution and dynamic range that no one has ...

Administrator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Why is it that with over 60 years of improvements in cameras, lens sharpness and film grain, resolution and dynamic range that no one has been able to equal what Ansel Adams did back in the 1940s? Ansel didn't even have Photoshop! How did he do it?..cont.
    Admin

Shpongled
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I read this and many other articles by KR. There is some good insight in some of his articles but he beats the ideas into the ground by not knowing when to move on to a new idea.
    ------------------------
    Nikon D200
    Tamron 17-50mm VC
    Sigma 10-20mm
    SB-600 + Gary Fong Lightsphere
    Phottix Plato Wireless Remote

Proud Nikon Shooter
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Ken Rockwell is very good at what he does, which is drive people to his website. Every day on some forum somewhere there is a new link to something he has said that either the poster agrees with or disagrees with. Pure genius in my opinion.

While more often than not, there are parts of his stories that are correct, for the most part they are simply entertaining.

Can anyone recreate the works of Adams, probably not. Things change, and will never be the same. I have been to Yosemite, and I could spend a lifetime shooting the area and never capture what he did. Not that I am a bad photographer or do not have the equipment, but because it is a far different place than it was 50 year ago. Heck it is a far different place than it was a year ago.

Getting the right light at the right time and place has nothing to do with the camera. In this part, Mr. Rockwell is correct.

On the other hand, the wrong equipment can hinder the photographer.

A wide lens doesn't help you when the subject is far away. A long lens doesn't help when the subject is too close. A camera with a low ISO range isn't the best choice for low light situations. The list goes on and on.

I have seen stellar images taken with a cell phone camera and very lousy images taken with a Hasselblad, proving the original point, but if given the choice, I would always side with having too much camera versus too little.
    Steve

Never complain, Never explain. Learn it, live it

Our blog
    Our website
    My gear list

Photographer of sorts
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Ken Rockwell Doesn't Matter
    I've taken the liberty of correcting the thread title. The man is a complete and utter idiot who does an enormous amount of harm to the photographic community because unfortunately some people believe the nonsense he spouts.

Hub

PHOTO EDITING OK
    As one who works 24/7 to research and create substantive and useful educational content as well as commentaries for photographers of all skill levels, I have to agree with Cadwell. I work very hard to NOT to have ANY of my websites included in this category of Internet mumbo jumbo and snobery.

Hub
    "There was once a time when Ansel Adams knew nothing about photography. There's hope for all of us."
    Visit Hub's Photo Educational & News Sites

Hub's Camera -- For the beginning DLSR User
    Hub's iDarkroom -- For starting in the digital darkroom
    Hub's Photo Tips -- General Tips for beginning DLSR User
    Hub's Visionary Photographers -- Images and words of wisdom from today's elite photographers
    Hub's Rising Stars of Photography -- Promoting the art and careers of today's emerging photographers
    The Portland Metro Photographic News -- All Things Photographic in Oregon and Washington

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I've taken the liberty of correcting the thread title. The man is a complete and utter idiot who does an enormous amount of harm to the photographic community because unfortunately some people believe the nonsense he spouts.
    I think I love you. XD

PHOTO EDITING OK
    A chain is no stronger than its weakest link.
    I'm not a Nikon user, I just found this hat.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tom...r-interesting/

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Your camera doesn't matter as long as you know how to use it and have the right subject matter. A good camera does help rank amateurs like me though.
    Currently playing with my EOS 1V & 5D MkII + various L-Series, Minolta MC/MD, M39 RFs, assorted 70-80's fixed lens RFs and occasional MF TLRs

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by cadwell View Post
    [/quote]
    I certainly don't consider him an idiot, just an opinionated photographer with whom you can choose to agree or disagree. I doubt we could be close friends but I do visit his website often.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links