Amateurs.. You have been SPOTTED!!!

This is a discussion on Amateurs.. You have been SPOTTED!!! within the Photography News and Views forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/how-...an-amateur.htm BTW. I am an Amateur. I carry everything that came with my D60 Kit. Nikon Gold D60 Neck strap connected to my Still very ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

PHOTO EDITING OK
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/how-...an-amateur.htm

BTW. I am an Amateur. I carry everything that came with my D60 Kit. Nikon Gold D60 Neck strap connected to my Still very new looking Pimped out Gold D60. I Pull that out of the Supplied Nikon Bag that came in the kit. I do sometimes use a Cheap Tripod in the daytime when trying to get the cleanest shot (dependent on what I am shooting).

If Ken was the Absolute Standard of being a Pro..then I would stay as an Amateur no matter how much I made from Photography.

I would like to run into him while he is doing a shoot. I would make all his cameras and lenses look very "Professional".
    Equipment: Nikon D60 (18-55 & 55-200 Nikkor Vr Lenses) Yongnuo PT-04TM Triggers, a Quantaray 900WA, 2 Yongnuo YN 460 Mk II's, 2 Flash Stands, Umbrellas and a 16" Softbox.
    My Flickr
    MySpace

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Rob
    Nikon D300 & D70 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Nikon 18-70mm | Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300mm VR
    Olympus EVOLT E-500 | Zuiko 14-45mm | Zuiko 40-150mm | OM - 4/3 adapter | Assorted OM lenses
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Haha, I read through that list and checked off a few myself. I'm pretty amateurish!
    Acid Recruit (Adam)
    [Nikon D60 | Nikon 18-55mm | Nikon 70-300mm]

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Ken Rockwell has done himself no favours with these comments, some practical comments but do we really need the arrogance and elitism.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    The fastest way to be labeled an an amateur is to say, "Ken Rockwell says . . . . "
    John B

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I think this Ken Rockwell needs to feel important and superior to others. Kinda sad when you think about it. I always have 3 lenses with me because I never know where I'm going to stop and shoot or what I'll need when I see something that I want to get. I guess I'll stay an amature regardless of the fact that part of my living is made with my camera LOL.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Is he saying that he took his long exposures using ND filters without a tripod, or any support?

Somehow I doubt it!
    My photo blog
    I use a Canon EOS 40D + various lenses.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Is he saying that he took his long exposures using ND filters without a tripod, or any support?

Somehow I doubt it!
    Of course he did. Since the Nickname is up for grabs cause D. Johnson gave it up.........it is now Ken "The Rock" Rockwell.

Oh yea...and at the end of all his comments...he wants you to donate money to support his family. Maybe he will end up like a Street performer. Taking pics if you throw change in his camera bag.

Edit: I would like to add... I have looked through his site trying to screen out some useful info through the rubbish.

Since we are on a Forum... I would like to invite all of you to this page of his...
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/2-ki...tographers.htm

I shall quote a part...
    "A huge problem with forums is the people who post the most shoot the least. These forums make it tough to know the credentials of the posters. More weight is given to well-spoken frequent contributors than a competent professional who might step in to help. Worse, the crankiest members of the forum will proceed to heckle the one guy who knows and tried to help, and then he never returns.

Photographers tend to be crummy writers. Forums are overloaded with comments from the people you most want to avoid. Many of these people don't even own the gear they're discussing; they just like to talk! Not that all the information is bad, but it is disproportionately weighted in the wrong direction."
    Equipment: Nikon D60 (18-55 & 55-200 Nikkor Vr Lenses) Yongnuo PT-04TM Triggers, a Quantaray 900WA, 2 Yongnuo YN 460 Mk II's, 2 Flash Stands, Umbrellas and a 16" Softbox.
    My Flickr
    MySpace

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    That's one bizarre article!

Seems like nothing more than attention seeking rubbish.
    My photo blog
    I use a Canon EOS 40D + various lenses.

Hub

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Sad.

Most every pro I have ever been associated with have many of these "amateur" traits -- including me. It's the final images that matter and reflect your photographic ability -- not the visual impression you leave as you walk down the street. Who cares?

And please don't take Ken's tripod advice. It has been proven time and again that even at 1/1000th of a second, images shot on a tripod are always sharper than the same hand-held shot. Most beneficially, tripods make us think long and hard about composition.

So take heart. This too shall pass.

Hub
    "There was once a time when Ansel Adams knew nothing about photography. There's hope for all of us."
    Visit Hub's Photo Educational & News Sites

Hub's Camera -- For the beginning DLSR User
    Hub's iDarkroom -- For starting in the digital darkroom
    Hub's Photo Tips -- General Tips for beginning DLSR User
    Hub's Visionary Photographers -- Images and words of wisdom from today's elite photographers
    Hub's Rising Stars of Photography -- Promoting the art and careers of today's emerging photographers
    The Portland Metro Photographic News -- All Things Photographic in Oregon and Washington

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links