Amateurs.. You have been SPOTTED!!!

This is a discussion on Amateurs.. You have been SPOTTED!!! within the Photography News and Views forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; Thanks Hub, after reading KR's site, I was feeling so, so...inadequate. ..and I thought "bigger was better"! I guess I just don't have steady enough ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Thanks Hub, after reading KR's site, I was feeling so, so...inadequate.

..and I thought "bigger was better"! I guess I just don't have steady enough hands NOT to drag a tripod or monopod along!
    Rob
    Nikon D300 & D70 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Nikon 18-70mm | Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300mm VR
    Olympus EVOLT E-500 | Zuiko 14-45mm | Zuiko 40-150mm | OM - 4/3 adapter | Assorted OM lenses
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Holy cow, where in the world did you find this guy? I didn't read all of the garbage but more than enough to be able to say he's exhibiting a major case of rectal-cranial inversion. He's just flat-out wrong about almost everything I read.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Like many, I'm not a big Ken fan.

He has a huge site. With alot of info.
    But it's alot of info that many disagree with.
    So it's basically just a site with his views on things.

I still read his articles sometimes, just to get another persons views on things (always good to hear other peoples thoughts, even if you disagree!).
    And every now and then, there's a slim chance some of the info may be decent.
    But more times then not, with his articles, I'm just left going "uuhh, okay..".

But still, I gave the benefit of the doubt before clicking the link posted here.
    I thought, "Okay, maybe it's an old article. Things change, people change, maybe it was written years ago.
    Maybe if he reviewed it now, his tune has changed".

Then I clicked. When was it written?
    May 2009

hah
    Yeah, still not a Ken fan.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    - - - - - - - Nikon D200 | SB-600 - - - - - - -
    - - - - - Nikkor 28-85mm | 50mm 1.8 - - - - -
    -- My deviantART
    -- My Photography Facebook

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Adding more..

Some of my thoughts on his article..

Backpack
    "Photographers don't carry their gear in backpacks"

Is he serious?
    I understand his comment about not taking a backpack to events. And I agree somewhat.
    When you're out roaming around at an event, it's best to travel lite. But it depends on the event also, what all you'll be photographing, etc to determine what equipment you'll need and what you'll need to carry it all in. Coming right out saying "Photographers don't carry their gear in backpacks" is wrong.

Carrying too much stuff
    I'm up in the air on this one. Like mentioned above, I agree that traveling lite is best. So I understand the "only bring what you need" comments. But at the same time, being prepared is also good. Maybe meeting in a middle ground would be best? Bring a good amount of equipment "just in case", but don't carry it on your person. Only carry what you think you'll need, and leave all the extra stuff someplace safe and out of the way, but easily accessible if needed. So yeah, I agree carrying too much stuff is bad. Only take what you need, and if you can store other "could need" stuff somewhere out of the way, you can do that as well.

Polarizer over UV filter, or polarizer used all the time
    Huh? Who uses a polarizer used all the time?
    And if someone does, they just need to be educated on the proper use of them.

Midrange zoom
    "In the pro's bag, the fixed normal lens, if carried at all, replaces the midrange zoom because it's much faster for low light."

It's not right to categorize all pros as operating the same way. I think it depends on what you're shooting, and just what you're comfortable with. Although, I agree that is IS good to get used to using a fixed lens. It gets you into the habit of YOU moving to get the best shot, rather then just zooming to get it. And when you start having to move yourself to get a good shot, you learn angles, composition, and other cool stuff that most people just overlook when they can zoom.

Camera worn directly over the neck
    This is a personal preference. Saying someone is an amateur just because of how they wear their camera is wrong. But I will say, wearing it over your neck IS uncomfortable to me. But it might depend on how heavy your camera is also.

Clean gear
    This one made me laugh, then made me mad. He posted a link with it with photos like:

So I guess, taking care of your gear means you're an amateur? And if your gear is all banged up, that means you're a pro and get better shots then the clean gear guys? What the heck?

My nephew is 9 and is prone to dropping stuff all the time. He had his own little camera. And it's pretty banged up. That must mean he's a pro and gets better shots then me!

So, if I take my camera outside and bang/scrape the edges of it on the sidewalk some, maybe bust up some dials, etc. that'll make me a pro and my images will be better? hehe

New DSLR
    "Every amateur buys a brand-new DSLR, and that's fine."
    I'm guessing he's mainly talking about buying the newest body that's out. In which case, I agree. People just getting into this stuff tend to focus more on the body (OMG megapixels!) then the lens. Which should be the other way around. I'd take a lower end body with a nice lens (or two or three) anyday.

Then he said "Pros use beat-up old gear"
    This goes back into the last topic he mentioned.
    Now, if you have an old favorite camera that's always done you well, no harm in sticking with it. But to say all pros use old beat up cameras is wrong. I know I just said "I'd take a lower end body anyday".. but that doesn't mean if I had the money, I wouldn't try and go for a better body if its features were worth it in upgrading to. And if I do upgrade, just because I have a new body doesn't make me non pro. It's the resulting image you create that should determine your talent range, not what you shot it with.

Lens caps and cap keepers
    "Pros work too fast for lens caps."

Again, I think it depends on the photographer. Taking a lens cap off doesn't take that long.

Now, if he's talking about not using a lens cap EVER (which it sounds like when he says "They use protective filters, and then usually just throw their filtered lenses in their bag."), I disagree. If I'm not shooting,and the lens is just in my bag, throwing a lens cap on it for extra safety isn't that much trouble.

If he's talking about leaving the cap off while shooting multiple things/areas, then I agree. If I'm out roaming around, snapping photos here and there, I'll just leave my lens cap off.. instead of taking it off, snapping some shots, putting it back on then spotting something else a minute later and taking it back off, etc. But it depends on the photographer.

Using a tripod in daylight
    "Someone shooting with a DSLR on a tripod in daylight probably has a few screws loose."

Wow, he's harsh, isn't he?
    Again, I think it depends on the photographer and what they're photographing. Maybe the person is using a slow shutter to add motion? One example is a photo I posted on this forum a little over a year ago here:
    http://www.photoforum.com/index.php?showtopic=23261

It was bright daylight. But I slowed my shutter down to add the effect of motion on the carousel. I used a tripod to keep everything else sharp while I let the shutter drag though. If some guy was to have come up to me while I was taking that photo, saying "It's daylight outside! Why are you using a tripod? You must have a few loose screws up there!" I would be insulted, but then laugh at their narrow mindedness.

LCD magnifier
    "Digital cameras don't have LCDs with enough resolution to justify magnifying them. There's nothing more to see when magnified. "
    I've never used a LCD magnifier myself, but I see no harm in using one.
    Maybe the persons eyesight isn't the best, and using the magnifier helps a bit for that tiny screen? And even if the screens aren't high resolution, it could still help some I'd think.

Beepers
    "Only a buffoon leaves the AF confirmation beeper ON. Who wants to annoy everyone? This is OK if you're hard-of-seeing, but not otherwise. "

I agree that the AF beeping on some cameras can get annoying. But I wouldn't call people using it a buffoon.
    But hey, at least he threw in a "it's okay if" for this one.

Camera brand strap showing logo
    Really? If your strap has a logo on it, that defines if you're an amateur or not? I think he's picking at straws now just to add to his article.

Hood on backwards
    I'm 2 sided on this one. I agree, having the hood backwards could hinder your use of the lens (depending on the lens and how big the hood is). But at the same time, if you DO need the hood, it's right there. But I agree with him, all in all, it's just easier that if you DO have the hood on the lens while shooting, have it in the correct position.

But then he says "Do not store the hood in the reversed position. It takes too long to right it when you need to shoot."
    I'm up in the air on this one. Reversing it is good for storage, since it'll take up less space. But it does mean having to spend a bit of time putting it on the correct way when ready to shoot. So I think it's up to the photographer. Do you want it reversed for better storage space? Or not, to cut a small amount of time off set up?

But then he says "If you can't store the lens with the hood in the shooting position, ditch the hood."
    Wha? Really?

Tripods, fast lenses and high ISOs
    "If you have a tripod, you don't need fast lenses and you don't want high ISOs.
    If you have a fast lens, you don't need a tripod and you don't need high ISOs.
    If you have high ISO, you don't need a tripod and you don't need fast lenses."

All of these statements can have holes in them, depending on what you're shooting and how you want to shoot it. Like the first one, "If you have a tripod, you don't need fast lenses and you don't want high ISOs." What if you're shooting a band playing on stage? Just because you have a tripod doesn't mean the images will come out perfect. Fast lenses and high ISO's will help in that low light setting and moving people.

And "If you have high ISO, you don't need a tripod and you don't need fast lenses.". Cool! So for that carousel photo I posted above, I can just throw my tripod away and use high ISO to get that shot then! ...

I'll just end this post with a emoticon.
    -- My deviantART

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Matt... If I make it back down there...we need to hook up and go around town looking like complete Amateurs. I am talking as far as even carrying the tripod around with the Cameras on it in full Florida Sunshine. All the while we can be wearing T-Shirts that say "Ken Rockwell Students" on the back. Then have one of your Buddies take the pics of us doing it. Guess Ken would love the Publicity of us learning his Styles...lmao.

Even better... drill and tap a Plastic Disposable Camera to fit on a Tripod. Hmmm... theres an Idea.
    Equipment: Nikon D60 (18-55 & 55-200 Nikkor Vr Lenses) Yongnuo PT-04TM Triggers, a Quantaray 900WA, 2 Yongnuo YN 460 Mk II's, 2 Flash Stands, Umbrellas and a 16" Softbox.
    My Flickr
    MySpace

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Hah, that'd be fun! =D

We can grab some "I ♥ Florida" stuff too, so not only will we be amateur photographers, but all out amateur tourist photographers! "I ♥ Florida" ball caps, beach towel thrown across our shoulder, socks, pins attached to our Ken shirts, etc heheh ^_^
    -- My deviantART

Hub

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Matt and Longshot: Nice planning session. Looks like the trip to Florida is a go. Be sure to take pictures.

Matt, nice summary.

FYI: When BLACK cameras became synonymous with PRO photography back in the 70s, I knew several photographers would buy new Nikon F1 camera bodies and then take sandpaper to the edges of the camera to wear the black paint off to brass case coloring below. All in an effort to look like a hard working PRO. (No, I didn't. I'm too cheap. I try to take care of my equipment in hopes that it will have some trade in value when I do decide to move up.)

If these photographers would spend as much time learning and practicing their craft as they do trying to "look" professional, they would be much better served. I have yet to attend a noted photographer's gallery exhibit where the attendees said, "The pictures were just OK, but you should see how he carries his equipment. He's a real pro."

Hub
    "There was once a time when Ansel Adams knew nothing about photography. There's hope for all of us."
    Visit Hub's Photo Educational & News Sites

Hub's Camera -- For the beginning DLSR User
    Hub's iDarkroom -- For starting in the digital darkroom
    Hub's Photo Tips -- General Tips for beginning DLSR User
    Hub's Visionary Photographers -- Images and words of wisdom from today's elite photographers
    Hub's Rising Stars of Photography -- Promoting the art and careers of today's emerging photographers
    The Portland Metro Photographic News -- All Things Photographic in Oregon and Washington

Equipment
    Canon 5d mark ii, Canon 50d, Canon Rebel XTi, canon and sigma lenses, Flashpoint M Series Strobes, Canon Flashes, a ridiculous amount of light modifiers:)
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Do what you do and if someone else doesn't like it... so be it. It's like my momma alway used to say, there's an arse for every seat.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    And here we go. This page about Kenny boy I like...so onto the sharing....

"* Ken Rockwell is the Chuck Norris of photography

* Ken Rockwell's camera has similar settings to ours, except his are: P[erfect] Av[Awesome Priority Tv[Totally Awesome Priority] M[ajestic]
    * Ken Rockwell doesn't color correct. He adjusts your world to match his.

* Sure, Ken Rockwell deletes a bad photo or two. Other people call these Pulitzers.
    * Ken Rockwell doesn't adjust his DOF, he changes space-time.

* Circle of confusion? You might be confused. Ken Rockwell never is.

* Ken Rockwell doesn't wait for the light when he shoots a landscape - the light waits for him.

* Ken Rockwell never flips his camera in portrait position, he flips the earth
    * Ken Rockwell ordered an L-lens from Nikon, and got one.

* Ken Rockwell is the only person to have photographed Jesus; unfortunately he ran out of film and had to use a piece of cloth instead.

* When Ken Rockwell brackets a shot, the three versions of the photo win first place in three different categories

* Before Nikon or Canon releases a camera they go to Ken and they ask him to test them, the best cameras get a Nikon sticker and the less good get a Canon sticker

* Once Ken tested a camera, he said I cant even put Canon on this one,thats how Pentax was born
    * Rockwellian policy isn't doublethink - Ken doesn't even need to think once

* Ken Rockwell doesn't use flash ever since the Nagasaki incident.

* Only Ken Rockwell can take pictures of Ken Rockwell; everyone else would just get their film overexposed by the light of his genius

* Ken Rockwell wanted something to distract the lesser photographers, and lo, there were ducks.
    * Ken Rockwell is the only one who can take self-portraits of you

* Ken Rockwell's nudes were fully clothed at the time of exposure

* Ken Rockwell once designed a zoom lens. You know it as the Hubble SpaceTelescope.
    * When Ken unpacks his CF card, it already has masterpieces on it.

* Rockwell portraits are so lifelike, they have to pay taxes

* On Ken Rockwell's desktop, the Trash Icon is really a link to National Geographic Magazine
    * Ken Rockwell spells point-and-shoot "h-a-s-s-e-l-b-l-a-d"

* When Ken Rockwell went digital, National Geographic nearly went out of business because he was no longer phyically discarding photos
    * For every 10 shots that Ken Rockwell takes, 11 are keepers.

* Ken Rockwell's digital files consist of 0's, 1's AND 2's.

* Ken Rockwell never focus, everything moves into his DoF

* Ken Rockwell's shots are so perfect, Adobe redesigned photoshop for him: all it consists of is a close button.
    * The term tripod was coined after his silhouette

* Ken Rockwell never produces awful work, only work too advanced for the viewer

* A certain braind of hig-end cameras was named after people noticed the quality was a lot "like a" rockwell

* Ken Rockwell isn't the Chuck Norris of photography; Chuck Norris is the Ken Rockwell of martial arts.
    * Ken Rockwell never starts, he continues "
    Equipment: Nikon D60 (18-55 & 55-200 Nikkor Vr Lenses) Yongnuo PT-04TM Triggers, a Quantaray 900WA, 2 Yongnuo YN 460 Mk II's, 2 Flash Stands, Umbrellas and a 16" Softbox.
    My Flickr
    MySpace

Equipment
    Canon 5d mark ii, Canon 50d, Canon Rebel XTi, canon and sigma lenses, Flashpoint M Series Strobes, Canon Flashes, a ridiculous amount of light modifiers:)
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    too funny

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links