$11,000 Leica Lens Sees in the Dark

This is a discussion on $11,000 Leica Lens Sees in the Dark within the Photography News and Views forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; An unnamed "French Magazine" has published pictures of a rather spectacular new Leica lens, the Noctilux 50mm 0.95 ASPH .. more...

Administrator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    An unnamed "French Magazine" has published pictures of a rather spectacular new Leica lens, the Noctilux 50mm 0.95 ASPH ..more
    Admin

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Now thats a fast lens

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    wow,

Lot of money for a lens, not sure this will be in my shopping basket !!

Patrick
    Nikon D700 / D40 - Nikon 16-35mm, Nikon 50mm F1.8 Prime, Tamron 90mm F2.8 Macro, Sigma 70-300 F4

www.pmc-photography.co.uk

Photographer of sorts
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Pah... Leica are nothing but a bunch of copy-cats. Canon built one of those in 1961

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/...5/s_50_095.html

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I'm curious, with such a shallow DOF, what types of macro shots would you get with this lens? It seems like you would only be able to get just a tiny part of whatever you were shooting and that it wouldn't be enough to identify the object. The article said "focus on the pupil of the eye and the iris will be out of the DOF". That doesn't seem practicle to me and like it would have very limited applications. Of course, $11k for a lens, ISN'T practicle for most of us is it???
    Elaine

www.elaineobrienphotography.com

My Favorite number of the alphabet is Purple!!!

Photographer of sorts
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Mmm... well there's a fair bit of hyperbole in the article's statement.

Depth of field is dependant on subject distance. At 1 meter/3 feet subject distance the depth of field of that lens would be a minuscule 2 cm (just under 1 inch) however, at 10m/30ft the DoF expands out to a comfortable 1.75m or 5ft 4in.

Since there's no word of the lens' minimum focus distance or magnification there's no real clue in the article as to whether you could use it as a macro lens or not. I suspect the optical difficulties of designing such a large aperture lens will make the incorporation of the complicated focusing mechanisms beloved of macro lenses impossible placing it firmly in the chocolate fire-guard category as far as macro work is concerned.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links