New York nuclear plant shutdown triggered by digital camera

This is a discussion on New York nuclear plant shutdown triggered by digital camera within the Photography News and Views forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; An emergency shutdown of a reactor at the Indian Point nuclear power plant was caused by signals from a worker's digital camera.. more...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    An emergency shutdown of a reactor at the Indian Point nuclear power plant was caused by signals from a worker's digital camera..more
    Admin

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Hmm makes me feel safer already knowing that the plants systems are so well builts that a camera can generate enough of a electircal field to shut down the sytem.

Thanks
    Mod
    Canon's --> || EOS 30D || EF28-135mm IS USM || EF70-200 f/2.8L IS USM ||

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Apparently a digital camera doesn't have to comply with FCC Part 15 and if it does comply, do you suppose the circuit board on the control panel was/is not "Tempest" safe? Hmmmm!

FCC Part 15 dictates that a piece of equipment cannot cause interference with other devices.

"Tempest" safe was a military term used in the 80's, more or less, saying a piece of equipment was completely shielded from outside sources, something like that...

Makes you wonder what piece of equipment was actually bad..the camera or the control panel.
    Rob
    Nikon D300 & D70 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Nikon 18-70mm | Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300mm VR
    Olympus EVOLT E-500 | Zuiko 14-45mm | Zuiko 40-150mm | OM - 4/3 adapter | Assorted OM lenses
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK

"Tempest" safe was a military term used in the 80's, more or less, saying a piece of equipment was completely shielded from outside sources, something like that...
    And incredibly expensive...

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Hmmm. Could this be part of a cover story (like covering up what really happened)?
    I currently spend a fair amount of time on Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/103236949470535942612

my personal website (not very current I'm afraid): clupica and family
    my photogarphy : cwlupica - Photograher
    my photos on SmugMug. StudioLupica on SmugMug
    me on facebook: Charles Lupica
    My fan page on facebook: StudioLupica

It's quite interesting but the use of wireless technology really isn't being seriously regulated. With the AM and FM radios, for example, an organisation (as far as I'm aware for Britain) controlled the operating bandwidth, so that you wouldn't get interference between different stations.

I'm an aeronautical engineer and things like bluetooth are currently being considered in aeroplanes to allow correspondence between the pilots and the engines, things like engine On or Off, throttle etc. but because none of the industries that use the same technology actually communicate with each other it's a bit worrying. The latest technology is sophisticated and interference isn't supposed to be an issue, but all you need is one freak combination of devices on a plane and ....

Also, something I found out recently, if you have a radio controlled watch, be careful when using a gps device, some model combinations can cause a lot of problems.

Little Talent, Lots of Luck.
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    No radiation was released.
    Well...

That's good news.
    Sony A200
    18-70 Kits Lens
    Minolta 100-200 f/4.5
    Minolta 50mm f/1.7

I will use a watermark when my pictures get good enough for someone to steal.

Jen
    Call me A Photo Forum Junky, I don't care!
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    very very interesting....my goodness...
    http://jenrinaldiphotography.smugmug...85_QHiat-S.jpg
    MYSPACE ~ FLICKR ~ DEVIANT ART ~ JPG
    Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm |
    Minolta 35-105mm
    "When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." ~Ansel Adams
    PHOTO FORUM WEEKLY THEME
    PHOTO FORUM PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGE

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Also, something I found out recently, if you have a radio controlled watch, be careful when using a gps device, some model combinations can cause a lot of problems.
    Great ...something else to worry about on the ocean when I out fishing, (both my GPS units are Garmin) my Casio watch is radio controlled for time updates from WWV, literature says receiver is on 10 Mhz?

Thanks for the info, guess I'd better get a cheap watch for fishing!
    Rob
    Nikon D300 & D70 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Nikon 18-70mm | Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300mm VR
    Olympus EVOLT E-500 | Zuiko 14-45mm | Zuiko 40-150mm | OM - 4/3 adapter | Assorted OM lenses
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8

Get Down! HES GOT A CAMERA!
    Canon Rebel 400D/XTi, EF-S18-55mm, EF 70-300mm IS USM, EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro, EF-S 10-22mm, Speedlight 430EX II

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links