WiFi equipped Canon digital camera busts thieves thanks to Eye-Fi

This is a discussion on WiFi equipped Canon digital camera busts thieves thanks to Eye-Fi within the Photography News and Views forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; "I opened up the Eye-Fi manager on the computer and, lo and behold, there are the guys that stole our cameras".. more...

Administrator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    "I opened up the Eye-Fi manager on the computer and, lo and behold, there are the guys that stole our cameras".. more
    Admin

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    WOW neat - didn't know they had them - they are just hitting ebay in the states.

Photographer of sorts
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    "She did not press charges against the persons who stole the camera"

I'd be more interested in knowing the "why" behind that statement than hearing about the technology. Why do tech journalists seem to concentrate solely on the "tech" and ignore journalism?

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I'd be more interested in knowing the "why" behind that statement than hearing about the technology. Why do tech journalists seem to concentrate solely on the "tech" and ignore journalism?
    I guess I can be guilty of that being in IT for nearly 30 years, but it did cross my mind why she didn't press charges I must admit.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    This article is more comprehensive.

http://www.news24.com/News24/Technology/Ne...2335904,00.html

Thieves fired

The reason we have been so successful is that people are not expecting this kind of software to be installed," said Ken Westin, the company's founder. "No security solution is 100% - there are always going to be work-arounds. But your average thief is not going to be a computer expert."

DeLauzon didn't want to press charges against the people who had her camera: Both were employees at the restaurant where she dined and accidentally left her photo equipment.

Sure, they were fired - but getting justice was not as important to her as retrieving her memories of her baby boy.

"When we finally got it back, my husband and I spent the night just sitting and watching the videos -- stupid videos, like him feeding himself for the first time or him pulling himself up in his crib for the first time. We sat down one night and just relished it."

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links