Rising Price of Raw Materials Could Kill Traditional Photography

This is a discussion on Rising Price of Raw Materials Could Kill Traditional Photography within the Photography News and Views forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; Kodak's CEO, Antonio Perez, warns that the company might have to raise the price of its photographic paper and chemicals by as much as 20 ...

Administrator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Kodak's CEO, Antonio Perez, warns that the company might have to raise the price of its photographic paper and chemicals by as much as 20 percent over the forthcoming weeks as the demand for raw materials cause the costs to soar.

Perez said that the entire traditional photography market would be effected by rising prices as aluminium, silver and oil, vital ingredients for the sector, shot up in the last year..more
    Admin

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    That and everything else....

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Same over here Dane - the rising price of everything could kill us as we can't afford to eat - the national average here for petrol is 116.4 per litre * 4.56 = £5.30 / gallon or $10.36

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Same over here Dane - the rising price of everything could kill us as we can't afford to eat - the national average here for petrol is 116.4 per litre * 4.56 = £5.30 / gallon or .36
    Jesus that's expensive. Oil futures have dropped a little on the last few days but I see gasoline futures are still going up. Good time to buy some refineries: TSO & VLO to help pay for that high gas.
    My equipment:
    Sony Alpha A350 w/BG-30AM Vertical Grip
    Tamron 70-200 f/2.8
    Minolta AF 50mm f/1.7
    28mm f/2.8
    Sony HVL-F56 Flash
    Sony HVL-F36 Flash

Photographer of sorts
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Same over here Dane - the rising price of everything could kill us as we can't afford to eat - the national average here for petrol is 116.4 per litre * 4.56 = £5.30 / gallon or .36
    True for the UK Imperial gallon but US gallons are smaller so the cost for comparison is more like 116.4*3.78 = £4.40/$8.60 per US gallon.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I haven't yet paid $4.00 per gallon, but I fear it won't be long...

$3.82 here in central VA as of today.

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

Little Talent, Lots of Luck.
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    3.99 here in Dallas Texas.

Is anything really going down in price these days?
    Sony A200
    18-70 Kits Lens
    Minolta 100-200 f/4.5
    Minolta 50mm f/1.7

I will use a watermark when my pictures get good enough for someone to steal.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    3.99 here in Dallas Texas.

Is anything really going down in price these days?
    Yes, the amount of money people expect to pay for stock photographs I think the $8.60 a gallon is about what we are paying here in Switzerland. And the amount of money per capata (or not in keeping with the rise in everything else). Some vegtables this year were 30% more than I have ever seen them, milk is going way up (in a country where milk is the primary commodity), and fruit up about 20%.

But, even before all of the current pricing increases, the cost of doing film just put me off and that's when I went digital. Las spring I shot 4 roles of B&W, had them processed, and printed. Maybe 5 really good pictures out 144. The cost, $250. Ever time I picked up the camera after that, I thought, "this shot is going to cost me $1.50, do I like it enough to pay that?". It ruined all the fun. So Kodak can blame raw material prices, but for me it is the overall cost of film, period. It is now the realm of connaseurs, not your average hobbyist.
    I currently spend a fair amount of time on Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/103236949470535942612

my personal website (not very current I'm afraid): clupica and family
    my photogarphy : cwlupica - Photograher
    my photos on SmugMug. StudioLupica on SmugMug
    me on facebook: Charles Lupica
    My fan page on facebook: StudioLupica

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links