Think twice before taking pictures in public

This is a discussion on Think twice before taking pictures in public within the Photography News and Views forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; Somewhere around here I saw a pinned link to "The photographer's Rights". It covers thew same ground in more detail, and from a lawyers point ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Somewhere around here I saw a pinned link to "The photographer's Rights". It covers thew same ground in more detail, and from a lawyers point of view.

There was a post recently where someone said they had been asked to take photos at a daycare. Is this ok? You've been invited right. Do the parents need to consent? If the daycare uses the photos to advertise thier service; this is a commercial use and should have releases from eyery parent. The daycare would be liable but you might still find yourself in court.

Here in Switzerland the prevailing thought seem to be, if you publish a photo of a person you are at risk of being sued. The risk is low, but it exists. If you're taking pictures for fun, your risk is near zero, if you're selling them the risk increases. People in public can sue you, people taking part in a public event cannot. The classic example here is, you take a picture of my brother and his girlfriend having coffe at a sidewalk café, you post the picture, his wife sees the photo and sues him for divorce and YOU for damages.

If you're going to post pictures of people, you need to know the rules and the risks.
    I currently spend a fair amount of time on Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/103236949470535942612

my personal website (not very current I'm afraid): clupica and family
    my photogarphy : cwlupica - Photograher
    my photos on SmugMug. StudioLupica on SmugMug
    me on facebook: Charles Lupica
    My fan page on facebook: StudioLupica

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    The trees I shoot never seem to care...

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

Jen
    Call me A Photo Forum Junky, I don't care!
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK

http://jenrinaldiphotography.smugmug...85_QHiat-S.jpg
    MYSPACE ~ FLICKR ~ DEVIANT ART ~ JPG
    Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm |
    Minolta 35-105mm
    "When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." ~Ansel Adams
    PHOTO FORUM WEEKLY THEME
    PHOTO FORUM PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGE

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Ditto on that, Dane!

I have actually run into a situation where a photographer told me that she had "exclusive rights" to photograph certain horses. I figured that was BS, but when I looked into it, one DOES need permission to photograph animals that belong to other people.

(Of course, I went to the owners of those particular horses and was told, "Oh! Please do!"). I gave them copies. )
    "Images Of The Vanishing West"

www.GreatBasinLife.com

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    In the release forms available on some of the stock sites they always make note that pets and domestic animals are property and need a property release from the owner.
    I currently spend a fair amount of time on Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/103236949470535942612

my personal website (not very current I'm afraid): clupica and family
    my photogarphy : cwlupica - Photograher
    my photos on SmugMug. StudioLupica on SmugMug
    me on facebook: Charles Lupica
    My fan page on facebook: StudioLupica

just try to stop me..lol
    say cheeseburger!!!

MICROSOFT DIGITAL IMAGE PRO 9

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links