Full Frame vs. APS-C Sensor - Do you really need to upgrade to Full Frame?

This is a discussion on Full Frame vs. APS-C Sensor - Do you really need to upgrade to Full Frame? within the Photography Discussion forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; Hey everyone, I was considering for months to buy a full frame camera body. That's why I borrowed a similar full frame body (same amount ...

PHOTO EDITING OK

Full Frame vs. APS-C Sensor - Do you really need to upgrade to Full Frame?

Hey everyone,
    I was considering for months to buy a full frame camera body. That's why I borrowed a similar full frame body (same amount of megapixels, same focal length) to compare it to my a 6300 showing it's benefits and disadvantages. Although I think the APS-C, together with the "sony fe 90mm f2.8 macro g oss", works really great in most situations, I decided to preorder the sony alpha 7 iv to be more flexible with my video projects. Especially the greater dynamic range (I did not focus on in this video), animal eye focus and the possibility to 240MP image resolution have made the difference. Which camera bodies are you using and why? In this video I am explaining the differences by pointing out all the benefits and disadvantages (focussing on Macro Photography):
    https://youtu.be/DUno-JGZ-kI

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    What an old discussion, this has been going on for 10-15 years

There is NO such thing as an UPGRADE to FF, why do people think FF is an upgrade.

Background. I shoot FF, Nikons, D4s and D810, and will get the D6, I bought new along with 14-24, 24-120, 70-200, 80-400 Nikkors and Sigma 150-600 Sport. I shoot professionally, and am an NUJ photo Journalist with UK press card.

However I could just as easily do what I do with crop sensors I just "chose" to buy FF.

The biggest mistake people make is buying a crop sensor camera AND crop sensor lenses, my advice would be go for crop if YOU want to, but always buy FF lenses then you wont have to buy them all over again if you chose to go FF

FF is NOT better than crop, crop is NOT worse than FF it is horses for courses.

It is as bad as people believing the hype that must have 50Mp or 60Mp, when in fact none of the lenses in Sony, Nikon, Canon etc ranges can "resolve" say...., more than 30Mp anyway. When I shoot sports for magazines such as Classic Cars magazine I use 16Mp Nikon D4s, 99.999% of the working photographers out there are shooting 16-20Mp RARELY will I shoot 36
    Last edited by CanNik; 09-10-2019 at 02:05 PM.

I don't know about Sony but when it comes to Nikon if you want good glass you need to go with full frame lenses.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I should say that there are benefits to both.

IF I want reach I put my 600mm on the D810 and use CROP mode

BUT I like to control my DOF, and FF gives you much better DOF than a crop sensor

many other reasons to have both, get a FF that offers crop and you have it all
    I and my son are both Autistic, Aspergers, I apologize if I come over as abrupt on the forum, please bear with me, thank you

https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk

www.jrs-photography.co.uk

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Quote Originally Posted by William Arthur Photography View Post
    I don't know about Sony but when it comes to Nikon if you want good glass you need to go with full frame lenses.

Also you have to use FF lenses on a FF sensor anyway or the image circle does not cover the sensor where as the FF lenses covet the crop sensor, but Nikon, Sigma make excellent lenses for crop, I just prefer Nikkor and Sigma

Shot this a while back for Sigma with the old 150-500, Joss Ash, I was shooting him at Widemouth Bay, http://www.xtremespots.com/athlete/joss-ash/

Name:  sigma.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  732.1 KB
    Last edited by CanNik; 09-10-2019 at 02:14 PM.
    I and my son are both Autistic, Aspergers, I apologize if I come over as abrupt on the forum, please bear with me, thank you

https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk

www.jrs-photography.co.uk

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links