How old is too old for a camera or is there such a thing?

This is a discussion on How old is too old for a camera or is there such a thing? within the Photography Discussion forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; So I know that like most things in life cameras have a shelf life. They break down after so many clicks and pops and whirls ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bynx

Thread: How old is too old for a camera or is there such a thing?

PHOTO EDITING OK

How old is too old for a camera or is there such a thing?

So I know that like most things in life cameras have a shelf life. They break down after so many clicks and pops and whirls and various things but how old is too old for a camera? Let's just pretend for a minute that I have one of the original cameras with the hood that you put over your head and the gunpowder flash. Is that too old to be taken seriously as photography or is there a time limit? Also I don't have one of those cameras. Wish I did though. 'Twould be cool.

The question is does the camera work. If it works its not too old. However, with that said film cameras are a bad choice to get into. Can you still get film and processing for it? If not then its outlived its usefulness. Black and white film photography can be done at home requiring space for darkroom and drying of prints. So again I say as long as the camera works then its not too old. Film cameras dont have sensors which keep improving with each passing year. They are essentially a lens and a box. Digital cameras are another thing. You have the first digital camera and the sensor is not very big as far as megapixel goes. If you can live with a small good image then the camera is still ok. If you now require bigger images then a newer camera is needed. It seems the future for cameras is heading to downsizing the body. Pocket cameras will be the way of the future. Some day people will look at DSLRs as boat anchors.
    Jerry_ likes this.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    This is a difficult question to answer, considering the different generations and technologies that have existed since the early days of photography (film plates as for your example, film (in different sizes) for film cameras, sensors (of different resolutions) for DSLRs).

As Bynx mentioned, if it is still working, that you can get the supplies you need and that you are happy with the results you get, then the camera is not to old.

If the question is, whether it is getting so old that it is likely to break, then the elements to look at are those that are most prone to failure. Very often this is the shutter and therefore when getting an older DSLR you would look at the shuttercount (on film cameras the shutter can also break, but unfortunately the camera doesn't have a counter). But, again, there is no absolute critic value here (PRO cameras are f.i. build for a much higher shutterclicks than consumer cameras), but you might find - with an internet search for a specific camera - what its most likely failures are.

If you want to know shutter count of your camera go to www.camerashuttercount.com and upload the latest untouched pic file. You will get the shutter count as well as the percentage of life of your camera used up.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links