First Indoor Newborn Shoot

This is a discussion on First Indoor Newborn Shoot within the Photography Discussion forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; Hey, friends! I am doing my first newborn shoot this weekend, and it will be indoors. I currently do not have any external flash or ...

PHOTO EDITING OK

Hey, friends!

I am doing my first newborn shoot this weekend, and it will be indoors. I currently do not have any external flash or lighting equipment. My biggest concern is going to be lighting. Aside from staying close to windows and using natural light, how can I use the resources available to me to get the best photos?
    I'll be shooting with a Canon EOS Rebel T2i DSLR. Any other tips anyone could give for indoor portraiture and/or newborn photography would be so greatly appreciated!! I've done a great deal of research on newborn shoots and have figured out the basics for the shoot itself (e.g. keep it warm, allot plenty of time, expect to be peed and pooped on, etc.), but my concerns are more about the environment (especially lighting), the settings to use on my camera, and post-processing (e.g. overlays in Photoshop elements, etc.).
    Again, pretty much any advice would be greatly appreciated! This will be my first indoor portrait shoot as well as my first newborn shoot.

Large mirror(s) and window light are all you have. Use them wisely. Newborns by natural light is a good combination. Use the mirror to reflect if needs be. But a large window should be enough.

PHOTO EDITING OK

Agree with Bynx.

If there is enough light you might also work with white cards, rather than mirrors, in order to have more diffused light.
    (But 1-2 flashes with softboxes would probably be required if there is no sufficient natural light)

What lenses do you have & will you use?

As regards focal lengths the 50-110 mm range will work best, combined with an aperture between f8-f11 most of the time.
    Last edited by Jerry_; 02-18-2017 at 02:48 AM.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links