i need your views

This is a discussion on i need your views within the Photography Discussion forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; hello friends.. i am a newbie in the world of photography.. though i have been fascinated by photography all my life i could not pursue ...

PHOTO EDITING OK

Question i need your views

hello friends.. i am a newbie in the world of photography.. though i have been fascinated by photography all my life i could not pursue it because of financial constraints.. now finally, i am going to buy a camera for myself... so i need your advice on which one to buy. should i go for an SLR or for a bridge camera.. i am quite liking the Sony HX100v cam.. howz it ?? is it good enough ??? i would also like some of my photos to have that background defocused effect.. is that possible only on SLRs or DSLRs ???

Equipment
    Pentax K100D Super / K-5/Optio 80/cell phone, Tamron 90mm macro, 17-50 f/2.8, Pentax 50 f/1.4 , a few zooms, studio strobes, tripod, ND filters...
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I'm not going to give you any advice on what you should buy because so much depends upon your interests and goals.

As for the background defocused effect, while that is a subject in itself worthy of extended discussion, the short answer is that you should select a camera that allows you to set the aperture, that is the size of the opening that light goes through in the lens. This will typically be associate with an "f/number". The smaller the f/number, the wider the diameter of the apeture, and the narrow the depth of the field of acceptable focus. Therefore, if you want a narrow plane of focus with the closer and further away elements in the frame to be out of focus, other things being equal, you would like to have a smaller f/number. The other significant factor that enters into this is the distance between you and the subject versus the distance between the subject and the background, because the depth of field is like a "slice" of verticle space that is optimized for apparent focus, so if you are close to your subject and the background is quite far away, it doesn't take as low an f/number to achieve the blur in the background you are looking for as it would if the background were close to the subject, relatively speaking, as regards the distance between your camera and the subject.

If you are interested in exploring composition, on the other hand, that is the arrangement of elements in the frame, general exposure, perspective, and so on, you can do that quite well with an instamatic camera, I think. They have the advantage of optimzed sets of settings for various circumstances.

So before you spend any money, I guess my advice to would be to sit down as ask yourself what your immediate goals might be in photography. There is so much than can be learned and achieved with very inexpensive equipment. And you may not be in any big rush to become an advanced expert in a month or a year; I know I'm not; I'm just enjoying each day as it comes and taking inspiration and motivation from what I see others doing. And I must say, I always take particular joy in achieving some result I like, figuring out how to do something I found difficult, in the cheapest possible way imaginable. That, to me, has always been gratifying.

So that's about all I would have to say about this, amateur21. The main thing I would hope for you is that you have a good time and have fun.
    I only went out for a walk and finally decided to stay out till sundown; for going out, I found, was really going in. - John Muir

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Welcome to the forum from the UK

Super Moderator
    Equipment
    Canon 5D mk II, EF 14mm f/2.8L II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 300mm f/2.8L IS, Speelite 430EX II, 5380EX II
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Welcome to Photo Forum.

The Sony you're looking at falls into the category of "bridge" camera. A bridge camera usually resembles a DSLR in shape except that it's lens is not removable -- so it works more like a point & shoot (one permanent lens, usually no viewfinder.) When you buy a point & shoot or a bridge camera, you are buying a "camera" and the capabilities of that camera don't change over it's lifetime. It usually has a built in flash or pop-up flash that shoots straight ahead and can't be modified or exchanged (they usually give a rather unflattering look.)

A DSLR has removable lenses and lots of accessories. You can choose among literally hundreds of lenses which are optimized to various shooting needs -- these lenses are offered both by the original camera manufacturer as well as a variety of 3rd party optics companies. You can also expand with numerous other accessories -- flashes, battery grips, wired and wireless remote shutter releases, external microphones (for video-capable cameras), filters, and so on. When you buy a DSLR you're not so much buying a "camera" -- you're more buying into a "camera system". Essentially the flexibility and adaptability to your shooting needs is the camera's strong suite. And since you mentioned that soft background blur (they call that "bokeh" -- pronounced BO-kah)... there are lots of low-focal ratio lenses that will create a shallow depth of field and pleasing blur in the background.

Another significant point about a DSLR is that since it's a "system", you can swap out components... INCLUDING the body of the camera itself. I now shoot with a Canon 5D mk II... but I previously owned a Canon Rebel T1i (I still have it.) The lenses I began acquiring with the first camera still work on the new camera (there are some caveats to this with respect to crop-frame bodies vs. full-frame bodies but I knew this in advance and only bought lenses that would work with both bodies.)

Every camera has a downside.... and with a DLSR the downside is probably the bulk factor. Lots of people like to have a camera they can slip into their pocket and while point & shoots aren't very flexible, they are extremely portable. A bridge camera has enough bulk that if avoiding bulk is a reason to avoid a DSLR then a bridge camera probably won't be much better (they're usually smaller... but only a little smaller and still far too large to slip into a pocket.)

Another consideration in camera selection is sensor quality and this strongly correlates to the sensor's physical size. Larger sensors tend to be significantly better. Megapixels wars are essentially over now that just about every camera is creating pictures that exceed 10 megapixels. But cramming 10 megapixels onto a tiny point & shoot or bridge camera sensor vs. 10 megapixels onto a DSLRs relatively large and roomy sensor creates quite a different result. Each pixel can be larger on a DSLR sensor. That means they more easily capture the light photons and the sensor naturally does a significantly better job in low-light shooting situations and the resulting photos have lower image "noise".

The advantages of a DSLR comes at a price.

Point & shoot cameras can range in price anywhere from $50 to $500. Most bridge cameras will be near the high end of that range (around $400). DSLR cameras range in price from about $550 to $7000 or more, but the "entry level" range are bodies which are all comfortably less than $1000 which would include one lens (a "kit" lens which is usually an 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 ... oddly enough it doesn't seem to matter who the manufacturer is, they all seem to include a kit lens in roughly that focal length range. Although, some higher-end DSLRs will often come with a better kit lens.

Having said all of this... I still meet people who go to a big-box electronics store, buy a nice DSLR (which comes with a kit lens) and then NEVER buy anything else for that camera (not even a book that would tell them how to exploit the power of the camera (this is sort of like Dorthy's slippers in the Wizard of Oz... here she is walking around with these things and never knew what she had.)) set the camera's mode dial to full-automatic and never change a single setting. If you're the type who just wants a simple no-fuss camera and have no desire to learn more about what you could do with a camera, would probably never buy a 2nd lens (much less a 3rd or 4th lens, etc.) then you might be satisfied with a decent bridge camera. I know lots of people who just want a simpler camera for candids and have little interest in taking up photography as a hobby or as something more serious -- and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. No camera is the "best" camera... it all depends on your needs. But once you've established what your needs are, some cameras will be much more capable of satisfying those needs than others.
    Tim Campbell

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links