Location ideas for wedding shoot in Key West

This is a discussion on Location ideas for wedding shoot in Key West within the Photography Discussion forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; Hi All, I have just recently dove into portrait photography after having coworkers ask me to do family shoots, etc...I have recently been asked to ...

Hi All,

I have just recently dove into portrait photography after having coworkers ask me to do family shoots, etc...I have recently been asked to photograph a coworker's wedding--in Key West. I am super excited but concerned that I won't have time to pick out unique locations to take pictures. I'm arriving the day before the wedding and have never been there before (I live in Washington state). Does anybody have experience with taking photos in the area? I would appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks!
    Ashley

I've been there, but only as a guy interested in photography that had a nice point and shoot. With that in mind there ere several places that would offer some good shots. the state park (Zachary Taylor, I think) has a decent beach and a park area. There is also an old fort in the park, and near the park were some art exhibits outside that were interesting. If I have my directions right, there is a hotel at the south end of Duval st that was nice and unique. I am not sure it's south, but I do know it's at the end away from the cruise terminal. Ther's a lighthouse and hemingway's house with six toed cats, but both can get crowded.

Are you trying to find just one spot, or will you be able to move around? At any rate, you may consider just renting a bicycle the first day and ride around the island. It not big(1.5 x 3.5 miles) and you wouldn't even need to check out half of it.

lost. always lost..
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    check the geolocation features on sites like flickr and trekearth, it'll give you a good idea of what's available in the location.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    The area near Hemingway's Home is a good area, there is an old tree in that area that is huge and right on the street. There is also a lighthouse near his house as well.

You can also visit what they call the Little White House, that is a great area, with lots of cool things to shoot around.

There is also a Butterfly Pavilion near the Southernmost Point that has a gazebo built into it that might be good.

Right near Duval Street there are several old churches there that might be nice.

And of course the end of Duval Street, where the dock is, and the sunset party is held every night is a great place to shoot.

You can find almost any kind of architecture, plant, etc. in Key West.
    Nikon D80
    Nikon DX AF-S NIKKOR 18-55mm GII
    Nikon AF-S DX VR 55-200mm f/4-5.6 G IF-ED Lens
    Nikon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon 80-200/2.8 D-AF ED
    Tamron Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 17-35mm f/2.8-4
    Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 DI w/MOTOR f/NIKON

Equipment
    Canon 5d mark ii, Canon 50d, Canon Rebel XTi, canon and sigma lenses, Flashpoint M Series Strobes, Canon Flashes, a ridiculous amount of light modifiers:)
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Quote Originally Posted by smcaskil View Post
    The area near Hemingway's Home is a good area, there is an old tree in that area that is huge and right on the street. There is also a lighthouse near his house as well.

You can also visit what they call the Little White House, that is a great area, with lots of cool things to shoot around.

There is also a Butterfly Pavilion near the Southernmost Point that has a gazebo built into it that might be good.

Right near Duval Street there are several old churches there that might be nice.

And of course the end of Duval Street, where the dock is, and the sunset party is held every night is a great place to shoot.

You can find almost any kind of architecture, plant, etc. in Key West.
    Good suggestions. You definitely have to take shots at the pier during sunset. Also shoot along Duval, can't go wrong with Sloppy Joe's in one of the shots. Honestly though, there are soooo many great locations to shoot down there. You should also consider getting a shot of them in the famous pink taxi. Not sure if they'll allow you to shoot at Hemingway's house without gaining permission first.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links