I am Confused

This is a discussion on I am Confused within the Photography Discussion forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; hello friends, its been some time. i have a question about this photos!! how does this guy get this effect? it is one of my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am Confused

Equipment
    Canon EF, 20D
    PHOTO EDITING OK

Wink

hello friends, its been some time. i have a question about this photos!! how does this guy get this effect? it is one of my favorites, lovely looking!!
    is it lightings? or is this HDR, please any help on this would be most thankful!

looking so cool man!!

thank you! Happy Shoots,

XiuXiu
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Xiu Xiu Chong

Canon 20D, EF Lens, Fisheye, Canon Flash, 24-70mm

Equipment
    Canon EF, 20D
    PHOTO EDITING OK

Wink

i canot find link, so i post website! its from Paul Wheatley
    Xiu Xiu Chong

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I think these images donīt have much secret:

1. A good and expensive camera.( exif data say: Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II)
    2. A good lenses, bright and very expensive.
    3. Study Spotlights and floodlights illumination
    4. and some processing in Photoshop.

If you miss the first three is difficult to get photos like that.

Equipment
    Canon EF, 20D
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by martin3d View Post

I have 20D ok?
    Xiu Xiu Chong

Equipment
    Canon EF, 20D
    PHOTO EDITING OK

Exclamation

Thanks you for advice, may need to invest in some new sharp lenses. Mine are not many good

happy shoots friend!
    xiuxiu
    Xiu Xiu Chong

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Sure you can do great things with the D20, but this is not a professional camera, what I wanted to tell you is that this type of work, using professional models, prepare the lighting with lamps and reflectors, is a very professional kind of photography, These people are prepared very well all the details before taking the pictures.

Equipment
    Canon EF, 20D
    PHOTO EDITING OK

Lightbulb

so you mean evens in the photo above its good lighting?? should i buy lighting instead of a new lens for these kind of shootings??? please help.

thank you guy!
    xiuxiu

i try and shoot everyday on my cannon 20D!
    Xiu Xiu Chong

PHOTO EDITING OK
    If you're not going to dedicate a professional photographer does not need to buy lights, the flash of the camera will suffice.
    If you just look for the effect there are many tutorials to make things interesting, you can look at this post are some links.

http://www.photoforum.com/index.php?showtopic=66115

R0B
    Equipment
    Sony A77 + grip, Sony A200 + grip, Sony 16-50mm f/2.8, Sony 50mm f/1.8, Sony 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6, tokina 70-210mm f/4-5.6, 2 flashguns.
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK

I would like to argue against point one and two.

"1. A good and expensive camera."I've used a phase one digital back (the price of them leaves the 1d in the shade,) along with my meagre sony a200 to photograph kitchens and bathrooms.

Taking pictures side by side using the exact same lighting setup, and the exact same in camera settings, showed that the photos that came out of my lil' camera were hugely similar to the phase one, apart from detail (40mp vs 10mp) and slight difference in tonal range, if I showed you them side by side you'd struggle to guess which the phase one was...

2. A good lenses, bright and very expensive."I used my 50mm 1.8, the phase one had some funky mayima lens... at f/7.1 my lens reaches peak sharpness, and by god is it sharp for the price you pay.

Whilst an expensive camera and lenses may play a part, lighting is key to getting a good image. A professional portrait photographer would be able to get the same results out of a 550d as he would a 1d without a doubt...

I read in someones signature "Buying a nikon doesnt make you a photographer, it makes you a nikon owner" well I think the same principal applies here.

"and some processing in Photoshop." Understatement right there, with modern media being as good as it is, and photographers striving to get the best results, having a large knowledge of photoshop is vital...

"the flash of the camera will suffice." Pardon my french here - bullshit, you're telling him to scrap good lights and get a good camera? all the while using the IN BUILT FLASH? scott kelby (you should seriously read his books) says to use the inbuilt flash as a weapon, its harsh, overly powerful and the outcome isn't pretty... I dont think that could be any more true, I have never touched my inbuilt flash since I invested in some lighting, the results from the inbuilt flash have bright overexposed areas, strong harsh shadows and on the whole the pictures can end up looking disgusting by professional standards.

The company I worked for spent about Ģ15000 on two cameras (body only) they spent almost Ģ50000 on profoto lighting (13 acute b2's at Ģ3000 each) and I'd say around 20 flashheads, lots of softboxes, zoom rings and all the other shizz they had... I think that sums up my argument perfectly.

Sorry for sounding harsh but you're giving out some really really bad advice right there, please get some experience in the model portrait area of photography (especially lighting) industry before you tell people what they need to be doing.

XuiXui I would say if you are looking to do model photography like some of those photographers:
    Stick with the camera you've got
    Invest in lighting (including softboxes)
    Get to grips with how lighting changes the mood and feel of an image
    Get a 50mm 1.8, theyre sharp, cheap, light, let you get a beautiful depth of field, and they are so so bright
    If you feel that your camera is in need of replacing at one point then by all means change it, entry level cameras are getting so good nowadays, they have the specs of a fully pro camera from about two years ago, take the canon 550d, 18mp, 12500 iso, 1080p movie, not so long ago they would be mind boggling figures
    500px.com/robellis
    http://facebook.com/robellisphotography

Sony A77, A200, Grips for both, 16-50 f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 18-70 f/3.5-5.6, 70-210 f/4-5.6, 2 flashguns.

NME Under 21's music photographer of the year runner up.

Equipment
    Canon EF, 20D
    PHOTO EDITING OK

Quote Originally Posted by R0B View Post

I would like to argue against point one and two.

[b]"1. A good and expensive camera."I've used a phase one digital back (the price of them leaves the 1d in the shade,) along with my meagre sony a200 to photograph kitchens and bathrooms.

Taking pictures side by side using the exact same lighting setup, and the exact same in camera settings, showed that the photos that came out of my lil' camera were hugely similar to the phase one, apart from detail (40mp vs 10mp) and slight difference in tonal range, if I showed you them side by side you'd struggle to guess which the phase one was...

[b]2. A good lenses, bright and very expensive."I used my 50mm 1.8, the phase one had some funky mayima lens... at f/7.1 my lens reaches peak sharpness, and by god is it sharp for the price you pay.

Whilst an expensive camera and lenses may play a part, lighting is key to getting a good image. A professional portrait photographer would be able to get the same results out of a 550d as he would a 1d without a doubt...

I read in someones signature [b]"Buying a nikon doesnt make you a photographer, it makes you a nikon owner" well I think the same principal applies here.

[b]"and some processing in Photoshop." Understatement right there, with modern media being as good as it is, and photographers striving to get the best results, having a large knowledge of photoshop is vital...

[b]"the flash of the camera will suffice." Pardon my french here - bullshit, you're telling him to scrap good lights and get a good camera, all the while using the IN BUILT FLASH, scott kelby (you should seriously read his books) says to [b]use the inbuilt flash as a weapon, its harsh, overly powerful and the results aren't pretty... I dont think that could be any more true, I have never touched my inbuilt flash since I invested in some lighting, the results from the inbuilt flash have bright overexposed areas, strong harsh shadows and on the whole the pictures can end up looking disgusting by professional standards.

The company I worked for spent about Ģ15000 on two cameras (body only) they spent almost Ģ50000 on profoto lighting (13 acute b2's at Ģ3000 each) and I'd say around 20 flashheads, lots of softboxes, zoom rings and all the other shizz they had...

Sorry for sounding harsh but you're giving out some really really bad advice right there
    robb
    Thanks you guy for helping me out! I look up pricing for that camera too expensive for me so I almost gave up. But now that you mention lighting and stuffs it being me good hope. I really like above picture and wish sometime i get lightings and help me out!!

your words are very true and you are young, already wise. thanks you again! i shoot now...all day

what lightings was used on the top photo? built in camera or none

happy shoots!

xiuxiu
    Xiu Xiu Chong

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links