I am Confused

This is a discussion on I am Confused within the Photography Discussion forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; Originally Posted by xiuxiuchong Originally Posted by R0B Originally Posted by martin3d I think these images don´t have much secret: 1. A good and expensive ...


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: I am Confused

  1. #11
    R0B
    R0B is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    1,234
    Equipment
    Sony A77 + grip, Sony A200 + grip, Sony 16-50mm f/2.8, Sony 50mm f/1.8, Sony 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6, tokina 70-210mm f/4-5.6, 2 flashguns.
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Quote Originally Posted by xiuxiuchong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by R0B View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by martin3d View Post
    I think these images don´t have much secret:


    1. A good and expensive camera.( exif data say: Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II)
    2. A good lenses, bright and very expensive.
    3. Study Spotlights and floodlights illumination
    4. and some processing in Photoshop.

    If you miss the first three is difficult to get photos like that.
    I would like to argue against point one and two.

    [b]"1. A good and expensive camera."I've used a phase one digital back (the price of them leaves the 1d in the shade,) along with my meagre sony a200 to photograph kitchens and bathrooms.

    Taking pictures side by side using the exact same lighting setup, and the exact same in camera settings, showed that the photos that came out of my lil' camera were hugely similar to the phase one, apart from detail (40mp vs 10mp) and slight difference in tonal range, if I showed you them side by side you'd struggle to guess which the phase one was...

    [b]2. A good lenses, bright and very expensive."I used my 50mm 1.8, the phase one had some funky mayima lens... at f/7.1 my lens reaches peak sharpness, and by god is it sharp for the price you pay.

    Whilst an expensive camera and lenses may play a part, lighting is key to getting a good image. A professional portrait photographer would be able to get the same results out of a 550d as he would a 1d without a doubt...


    I read in someones signature [b]"Buying a nikon doesnt make you a photographer, it makes you a nikon owner" well I think the same principal applies here.


    [b]"and some processing in Photoshop." Understatement right there, with modern media being as good as it is, and photographers striving to get the best results, having a large knowledge of photoshop is vital...

    [b]"the flash of the camera will suffice." Pardon my french here - bullshit, you're telling him to scrap good lights and get a good camera, all the while using the IN BUILT FLASH, scott kelby (you should seriously read his books) says to [b]use the inbuilt flash as a weapon, its harsh, overly powerful and the results aren't pretty... I dont think that could be any more true, I have never touched my inbuilt flash since I invested in some lighting, the results from the inbuilt flash have bright overexposed areas, strong harsh shadows and on the whole the pictures can end up looking disgusting by professional standards.

    The company I worked for spent about £15000 on two cameras (body only) they spent almost £50000 on profoto lighting (13 acute b2's at £3000 each) and I'd say around 20 flashheads, lots of softboxes, zoom rings and all the other shizz they had...



    Sorry for sounding harsh but you're giving out some really really bad advice right there
    robb
    Thanks you guy for helping me out! I look up pricing for that camera too expensive for me so I almost gave up. But now that you mention lighting and stuffs it being me good hope. I really like above picture and wish sometime i get lightings and help me out!!

    your words are very true and you are young, already wise. thanks you again! i shoot now...all day

    what lightings was used on the top photo? built in camera or none

    happy shoots!

    xiuxiu
    Well it is quite hard to guess, but here goes

    500px.com/robellis
    http://facebook.com/robellisphotography

    Sony A77, A200, Grips for both, 16-50 f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 18-70 f/3.5-5.6, 70-210 f/4-5.6, 2 flashguns.

    NME Under 21's music photographer of the year runner up.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Yosemite National Park California Usa
    Posts
    1,168
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Homey,

    Take a look over at strobist.com. There are many basic tutorials on there to give you an idea of how light works. You can buy several flashes ebay wireless triggers some boxes and umbrellas and the 50mm 1.8 for a few hundred bucks

    START SMALL 1 flash off the camera wireless trigger light stand umbrella. When you get more dough buy another flash and work with that for a month or 2. You can get some great results with just knowledge.

    Gear is secondary until your skill has defeated the level of the gear. Stuff you don't know how to use might as well be in the trash because your work will be there too.

    Hope it hopes,
    Jay
    Get OUT and SHOOT Y'ALL...........Sitting at the 'puter don't make better photos!!!!!!

    Some of my crappy photography on FLICKR

  3. #13
    R0B
    R0B is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    1,234
    Equipment
    Sony A77 + grip, Sony A200 + grip, Sony 16-50mm f/2.8, Sony 50mm f/1.8, Sony 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6, tokina 70-210mm f/4-5.6, 2 flashguns.
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhead View Post
    Homey,

    Take a look over at strobist.com. There are many basic tutorials on there to give you an idea of how light works. You can buy several flashes ebay wireless triggers some boxes and umbrellas and the 50mm 1.8 for a few hundred bucks

    [b]START SMALL 1 flash off the camera wireless trigger light stand umbrella. When you get more dough buy another flash and work with that for a month or 2. You can get some great results with just knowledge.

    [b]Gear is secondary until your skill has defeated the level of the gear. Stuff you don't know how to use might as well be in the trash because your work will be there too.

    Hope it hopes,
    Jay
    Couldnt have summed it up better myself
    500px.com/robellis
    http://facebook.com/robellisphotography

    Sony A77, A200, Grips for both, 16-50 f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 18-70 f/3.5-5.6, 70-210 f/4-5.6, 2 flashguns.

    NME Under 21's music photographer of the year runner up.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    china and usa
    Posts
    208
    Equipment
    Canon EF, 20D
    PHOTO EDITING OK

    Wink

    really appreciate these Homeys!!

    XiuXiu
    Xiu Xiu Chong
    _________________________________________________

    Canon 20D, EF Lens, Fisheye, Canon Flash, 24-70mm

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    718
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Man I have got the giggles today
    I pack two things wherever I go: A gun and a camera. You probably don't want to end up in front of either one.

    If you like me, like my facebook!

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Yosemite National Park California Usa
    Posts
    1,168
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    In the spirit of knowledge sharing i created this,





    That's right I just got paid to make this

    Crap I spelled your name wrong xiuxiu sorry man.....but you do look good in the tutorial
    Get OUT and SHOOT Y'ALL...........Sitting at the 'puter don't make better photos!!!!!!

    Some of my crappy photography on FLICKR

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    172
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by R0B View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xiuxiuchong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by R0B View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by martin3d View Post
    I think these images don´t have much secret:


    1. A good and expensive camera.( exif data say: Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II)
    2. A good lenses, bright and very expensive.
    3. Study Spotlights and floodlights illumination
    4. and some processing in Photoshop.

    If you miss the first three is difficult to get photos like that.
    I would like to argue against point one and two.

    [b]"1. A good and expensive camera."I've used a phase one digital back (the price of them leaves the 1d in the shade,) along with my meagre sony a200 to photograph kitchens and bathrooms.

    Taking pictures side by side using the exact same lighting setup, and the exact same in camera settings, showed that the photos that came out of my lil' camera were hugely similar to the phase one, apart from detail (40mp vs 10mp) and slight difference in tonal range, if I showed you them side by side you'd struggle to guess which the phase one was...

    [b]2. A good lenses, bright and very expensive."I used my 50mm 1.8, the phase one had some funky mayima lens... at f/7.1 my lens reaches peak sharpness, and by god is it sharp for the price you pay.

    Whilst an expensive camera and lenses may play a part, lighting is key to getting a good image. A professional portrait photographer would be able to get the same results out of a 550d as he would a 1d without a doubt...


    I read in someones signature [b]"Buying a nikon doesnt make you a photographer, it makes you a nikon owner" well I think the same principal applies here.


    [b]"and some processing in Photoshop." Understatement right there, with modern media being as good as it is, and photographers striving to get the best results, having a large knowledge of photoshop is vital...

    [b]"the flash of the camera will suffice." Pardon my french here - bullshit, you're telling him to scrap good lights and get a good camera, all the while using the IN BUILT FLASH, scott kelby (you should seriously read his books) says to [b]use the inbuilt flash as a weapon, its harsh, overly powerful and the results aren't pretty... I dont think that could be any more true, I have never touched my inbuilt flash since I invested in some lighting, the results from the inbuilt flash have bright overexposed areas, strong harsh shadows and on the whole the pictures can end up looking disgusting by professional standards.

    The company I worked for spent about £15000 on two cameras (body only) they spent almost £50000 on profoto lighting (13 acute b2's at £3000 each) and I'd say around 20 flashheads, lots of softboxes, zoom rings and all the other shizz they had...



    Sorry for sounding harsh but you're giving out some really really bad advice right there
    robb
    Thanks you guy for helping me out! I look up pricing for that camera too expensive for me so I almost gave up. But now that you mention lighting and stuffs it being me good hope. I really like above picture and wish sometime i get lightings and help me out!!

    your words are very true and you are young, already wise. thanks you again! i shoot now...all day

    what lightings was used on the top photo? built in camera or none

    happy shoots!

    xiuxiu
    Well it is quite hard to guess, but here goes

    The Xiu Xiu question´s was how to make pictures like those of Dave Hill and Paul Wheatley, did not ask if is possible can make good photos with a cheap camera, I told him can do great things with these cameras.

    You can see for yourself how they work these photographers, they are professionals, if you do the same with your Sony a200, fine, you're a great photographer, now what you need? be a little more educated.

    Paul Whetley



    Dave Hill


  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    china and usa
    Posts
    208
    Equipment
    Canon EF, 20D
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    thanks you guy, I am going to watch more Dave Hill video too.

    Happy Shoots,
    XiuXiu
    Xiu Xiu Chong
    _________________________________________________

    Canon 20D, EF Lens, Fisheye, Canon Flash, 24-70mm

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    china and usa
    Posts
    208
    Equipment
    Canon EF, 20D
    PHOTO EDITING OK

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by rockhead View Post
    In the spirit of knowledge sharing i created this,





    That's right I just got paid to make this

    Crap I spelled your name wrong xiuxiu sorry man.....but you do look good in the tutorial
    I like this much!

    thanks you!
    Xiu Xiu Chong
    _________________________________________________

    Canon 20D, EF Lens, Fisheye, Canon Flash, 24-70mm

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Yosemite National Park California Usa
    Posts
    1,168
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    xiu xiu glad to be of help........

    I posted some simple shots of me and my lady in the people section. Maybe they would help

    Hang tough and keep trying!!!!!

    Jay
    Get OUT and SHOOT Y'ALL...........Sitting at the 'puter don't make better photos!!!!!!

    Some of my crappy photography on FLICKR


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

xiu xiu chong hdr

Click on a term to search for related topics.