Upgrade confusion

This is a discussion on Upgrade confusion within the Photography Discussion forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; So I decided I wouldnt upgrade until my photography was able to pay all the costs of doing so. I own a daycare center and ...

Whats a shutter?
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    So I decided I wouldnt upgrade until my photography was able to pay all the costs of doing so. I own a daycare center and I just did fall portraits of all of the kiddos, and almost every parent purchased a package. Now I have enough for an upgrade, but Im not sure what it is I want to upgrade.
    This is my current setup.
    Canon 450d XSI, with 50mm 1.8 prime, 18-55 kit lens, and the 75-300 canon ef lens.
    2 strobe light kit with soft boxes and backgrounds
    MSI laptop with windows 7, i5 processor, 4 gigs ram, and a 500gb hard drive
    Visio 37" high def flat screen monitor hooked through the HDMI port on laptop.

Here are the things I am thinking about doing.
    1. Upgrading to the 7d. The 450d is my first DSLR as I have been using film SLR cameras for awhile. I like the camera, but I would like the better AF system, upgraded sensor, dual processor, better built etc etc....
    2. Getting better glass. I mostly do portraits, so I was thinking of something like an 85mm prime. I am open to other suggestions and even getting an L series lens.
    3. Ditching the MSI and picking up a macbook or macbook pro. The MSI is very new (3 months) and it is super quick. Problems; it has windows 7 32 bit!!!!! Came loaded with that and I cannot run photoshop cs5 on 32 bit. I am drooling over content aware fill. I know upgrading is an easy, not too expensive process, but it has a few other problems. It does not render color very well. While I am editing my pictures look fine to me, but when I upload a pic to a forum site, or have a pic printed the red hues are so bad its embarrassing. I bought a bigger TV for my living room to use the 37" as a dedicated monitor but, that doesnt help the problem when the source (my laptop) is telling the monitor to display incorrect color. I have always been a big fan of the macbook, and an upgrade makes sense to me as well.

Give me your opinion on my problem please.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    All my research indicates that CS5 will run fine, even on Windows XP in 32 bit mode. I hope so- because I just ordered a copy and I have every intention of using it on my 2 year old XP Pro notebook. I understand that significant speed gains can be had in the 64 bit environment, but it is not a requirement (yet).

The 7d is sweet, but I wonder if you wouldn't ultimately prefer full frame, if your object is primariy portraits. Mayby a 5D Mk2? That paired with that 85mm would be a pretty sweet setup. But this is from a Nikon guy... so I'm sure there will be other advice coming.

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links