My photos are starting to walk should I put a logo?

This is a discussion on My photos are starting to walk should I put a logo? within the Photography Discussion forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; So, as I get better at this (I suppose) or maybe just as there is more of my work in existence, my photos are starting ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    So, as I get better at this (I suppose) or maybe just as there is more of my work in existence, my photos are starting to take walks around the internet. I don't make a living at this (or even $1 at it), and am generally flattered that people find my work nice enough to display.

But, I'm wondering if I should be marking them as my work somehow?? I know I'm not a pro or anything... but I work very hard on my shots, and I have this twinge when someone posts one and doesn't credit me.

Am I just being emotional?? Would it be better to kindly ask my friends to credit me? Would they see this as getting too big for my britches?
    -Laura-
    Digital: Olympus E-410- Zuiko 14-42, Zuiko 40-150

Film:
    Olympus OM-2 (35mm film) -Zuiko 50mm- Zuiko 75-150mm- Soligor 28mm- Sigma 35-70mm Macro

"People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing." Dale Carnegie

Equipment
    Canon XTi Rebel and my imagination
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Oh Hell Yes!
    I would be pretty miffed if I found some pics of mine by someone else with no credit to me.
    Especially if one got sold.
    I found a great Watermark download (I think it was $40) called Visual Watermark.
    Most free downloads are coded so you cannot ever use that pic for profit if you wanted. (I think it says something permanent on your pic like 'Trial only" or something unless you buy it.)
    Visual Watermark is worth the money for me. (I should probably start using it.. )
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

---------------------
    Greg

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I certainly don't think anyone is selling them. More like they are getting passed around facebook. However a friend of mine did put some on her business website, and she altered them... she did credit me though.

I was thinking more like a little frame with a logo rather than a watermark? I don't know... I'm not even sure to what end. Like, why do I need people to know it's my work... vanity?
    -Laura-

Film:
    Olympus OM-2 (35mm film) -Zuiko 50mm- Zuiko 75-150mm- Soligor 28mm- Sigma 35-70mm Macro

"People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing." Dale Carnegie

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I don't watermark, as I doubt I have really done anything anybody would want to copy. I do wonder though, how in this day of photoshop, unless
    you splash the watermark across the center of your photo (which Kind of ruins it), you can really stop somebody from just
    editing out the watermark. I think once you put stuff on the internet, it is probably impossible to stop somebody who really wants
    to re-use or copy it, unfortunately.
    Watermarks at the bottom or in the corner can just be cropped, they don't even need to be edited.

Equipment
    Canon XTi Rebel and my imagination
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Quote Originally Posted by dkearl View Post
    I don't watermark, as I doubt I have really done anything anybody would want to copy. I do wonder though, how in this day of photoshop, unless
    you splash the watermark across the center of your photo (which Kind of ruins it), you can really stop somebody from just
    editing out the watermark. I think once you put stuff on the internet, it is probably impossible to stop somebody who really wants
    to re-use or copy it, unfortunately.
    Watermarks at the bottom or in the corner can just be cropped, they don't even need to be edited.
    This is actually quite true. (I really don't have anything worth stealing either by the way). There are even programs you can download specifically for REMOVING unwanted watermarks.
    So all things considered, I suppose watermarks for protective purposes really are useless.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

---------------------
    Greg

PHOTO EDITING OK
    never done protecting or watermarking of any sort.
    I figured, most people with good intentions would rather buy then steal (and I never put full size online anyway). Those who has stealing as ok thing to do, would probably never buy even if your photo is covered in watermarks all over.

So, IMO, don't bother and don't upload anything bigger then screen resolution.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    There is no foolproof protective measure, but an obstacle or two might discourage some people.

Even if watermark doesn't stop stealing, it does let people know where the photo comes from (those that did not get it directly from you).

I personally don't even put a small watermark as I don't like to distract from the photo (and plus I am too lazy), but I can see why other people do it.

But I think the best thing you can do is to simply limit the file sizes. At least the utility of a 800x600 photo is limited, even more limited if a watermark has to be cropped out, reducing the resolution even further. It is the best protection.
    David Ngo
    Olympus C7070WZ + Metz 48 AF-1 + Photoshop CS2

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Well, it's not like I'm trying to prevent loss of income. I receive no income from my photos. And I don't think these folks are so nefarious they would remove a watermark... they're mostly my friends and family or friends of friends.

I guess it's like I'd like for people to know who's work it is. For purely vanity, I guess.

I would also rather people not make prints from these small internet files, but I'm not sure if they even would.

I guess my question is better put as, is it completely ridiculous for a hobby photographer to put a logo on their shots??

.... I'm starting to think it might be.

Thanks for all your replies.
    -Laura-

Film:

Proud Nikon Shooter
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    A watermark is like a lock, it only keeps out the honest people. It helps, but so does limiting the size of the image that you post. What you really need to do is contact the people posting your image and ask them to take it down. While today you do not make money from your images, that may not be true tomorrow. Setting the proper example today will help in the future should your goals change.
    Steve

Never complain, Never explain. Learn it, live it

Our blog
    Our website
    My gear list

NTO

Quote Originally Posted by WetBottom View Post
    Well, it's not like I'm trying to prevent loss of income. I receive no income from my photos. And I don't think these folks are so nefarious they would remove a watermark... they're mostly my friends and family or friends of friends.

I guess it's like I'd like for people to know who's work it is. For purely vanity, I guess.

I would also rather people not make prints from these small internet files, but I'm not sure if they even would.

I guess my question is better put as, is it completely ridiculous for a hobby photographer to put a logo on their shots??

.... I'm starting to think it might be.

Thanks for all your replies.
    You have some very stunning photos and of course you should be credited.

It's your work and yours alone.

I sell crystal conchos and my pictures were being taken off of my website and people were using them
    as there own. Most people haven't figured out how to take pictures of crystals so it was easier for
    them to use mine then to get their own images. I'm not a pro but they were mine and they were stolen.

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links