First Wedding

This is a discussion on First Wedding within the Photography Discussion forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; Hi everybody, I just booked my first wedding and I am meeting with the bride this Sunday. Aside from the obvious questions(date&times, locations, different shots) ...

Thread: First Wedding

Equipment
    Nikon D300
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Hi everybody,

I just booked my first wedding and I am meeting with the bride this Sunday. Aside from the obvious questions(date&times, locations, different shots) are there any questions that I should DEFINITELY ask her before I leave. I'm very confident that I know what I'm doing when it comes to the photography side of the event, however I'm not so polished when it comes to the business side. I just want to make sure I don't leave out any questions that I will regret in the future. Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!!

Michael
    http://www.michaelkfoto.com/

"Portrait subjects see themselves in the picture...photographers see the picture"

Equipment
    Nikon D300
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Thanks MOD, the first link is enlightening me already
    http://www.michaelkfoto.com/

"Portrait subjects see themselves in the picture...photographers see the picture"

R0B
    Equipment
    Sony A77 + grip, Sony A200 + grip, Sony 16-50mm f/2.8, Sony 50mm f/1.8, Sony 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6, tokina 70-210mm f/4-5.6, 2 flashguns.
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Good look with your shoot
    500px.com/robellis
    http://facebook.com/robellisphotography

Sony A77, A200, Grips for both, 16-50 f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 18-70 f/3.5-5.6, 70-210 f/4-5.6, 2 flashguns.

NME Under 21's music photographer of the year runner up.

heathersphotos.com
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Congrats btw!

I dunno if this is listed in any of those links cuz I'm not reading through them but it's always a good idea to ask if anyone in the wedding party (like the bride's parents) is divorced.. You don't want to make anyone uncomfortable for posed portraits and it gives you an idea of how to pose them based on relationship.

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/w...um/banner7.jpg
    "You don't take a photograph. You ask, quietly, to borrow it." ~Author Unknown
    Vintage SLR's

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Sorry if any of this advice is repeat from the links. I haven't clicked them all.
    Heather makes a great point about divorced parents. I generally will ask if any of the people involved in the group shots has a disability or any injury that I would need to take under consideration. I shot a lot of beach weddings, so I explain (when asking the bride) that I don't want to make someone who say had knee surgery recently, walk down the beach. Depending on your style, you want want to find out a little personal information about the couple. I try to incorporate the couples personality into my shots, so I spend a little time "breaking the ice" by asking questions like "how did you meet/become engaged?" Make sure your contract is well define and that your bride/groom understand it and answer any questions they might have. Also, if you are available, it's a great idea to ask if you can attend the rehearsal. This gives you a chance to meet the person who is going to marry the couple and ask if they have any rules in regards to photography. You also get a chance to see where you need to position yourself during the wedding.

I just realized that you posted this back in Feb. but I hope this helps for the future and that your meeting went well!

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Hi Michael. Congrats on getting your first wedding. You have received some great links and advice already. The one thing I would say is when you write, "I'm very confident that I know what I'm doing when it comes to the photography side of the event", I'd be very careful because wedding photography is arguably the most challenging of all photography because conditions are constantly changing, you're dealing with all kinds of different people, and often you have to make split-second decisions with respect to your gear and settings. In short, please keep yourself open to not knowing some things, because that is going to be the case and the more prepared you are for the inevitable uncertainty the less liable you are to panic. I've been shooting weddings for 8 years now. I love it and know what I'm doing, but I'm always learning and adapting too. All the best.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links