Direction of Photography as a Profession

This is a discussion on Direction of Photography as a Profession within the Photography Discussion forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; Hey guys! I am new here. But anyway, I just have some thoughts on my mind. Where do you think photography as a profession is ...

Thumbs up

Hey guys!

I am new here. But anyway, I just have some thoughts on my mind.

Where do you think photography as a profession is heading?

Will this be absorbed or annihilated by new technologies such as graphic design /development?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Don

My Friend's Website

Well, there are many types of photography. Certainly the paparazzi and wedding photographers aren't going away.

Computer generated images can be pretty cool and lifelike. But when cameras first came out, many people thought
    that the art of painting was going to die. Graphic design has its place but I don't think it will come anywhere close
    to absorbing or annihilating photography.

Welcome to the forum.

Proud Nikon Shooter
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Photography in and of itself isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Eventually it will be a small side of video, but that is years down the road. I disagree with Rock though, I believe that weddings and paparazzi will be the first to go to full video. Once video gets better, still images will be pulled from the segments forcing still images into a smaller market.

When video eventually reaches medium format, things will change dramatically.
    Steve

Never complain, Never explain. Learn it, live it

Our blog
    Our website
    My gear list

Quote Originally Posted by enthuxs View Post
    Where do you think photography as a profession is heading?

Will this be absorbed or annihilated by new technologies such as graphic design /development?
    Not a pro, but I've been shooting seriously for 30+ years. I think some segments of the market are gone forever, or severely reduced. Many publications (and even news outlets) are pushing for and using user-submitted photos, in the place of where they were paying on demand. Magazines are also cutting quality, printing more of the lower-market stock images instead of top-shelf stuff. News pays crap...too many freelancers and stringers, and people submitting stuff for free. At our local paper, all but maybe one of the reporters uses a point and shoot nowadays...you don't need but so much quality and technique for a b&w newspaper pic that's rarely more than 4x5 or so.

Advanced amateurs are getting bold enough (and good enough equipment) to take on events like weddings. I know of two weddings here recently where a friend-of-a-friend did the pics, and the "customer" appeared pleased enough. Everybody thinks they are a great photographer, and the end users don't know the difference sometimes between a good photograph and a mediocre photograph. (And yes, some "friends-of-friends" turn out pretty darn good work.) Also, we attend one of the 3 largest churches in our town. More and more young folks aren't doing the big fancy wedding thing now. Many get married at the beach, or in a small chapel service, or in a private ceremony...and just aren't doing the big photo packages. They'll get a bridal portrait shot, but thats about it. The last time I was in a Walmart, there was a girl there, in wedding dress, getting bridal portrait done there. Lowest cost wins.

Old bread and butter mainstays, like youth sports teams and school or church photos have been Walmart-ified. Company gets a good "formula" for equipment, lighting, setups, etc....teach it well, and you can basically hire someone off the street to run the people through. Just like McDonalds....let process development and a solid routine trump individual skill development.

As to "Art Prints"....go to a craft fair -- somebody is bound to be there selling prints. But, photographs have never been that big for home decorating, unless it's a portrait, or a photo the family took themselves. Not much of a market there (for most people, in most places).

I guess I'm really a pessimist at heart.

I guess my question is...what parts of the market will still be there, and immune/insulated from the cheapening of our society??

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Well, there square measure many sorts of photography. Certainly, the paparazzi and wedding photographers are not needed.

Computer generated pictures will be pretty cool and lifelike. however once cameras initial came out, many folks thought
    that the art of painting was getting to die. Graphic style has its place, however, I do not assume it'll come back anyplace shut
    to riveting or annihilating photography.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links