Wedding Photography Questions

This is a discussion on Wedding Photography Questions within the Photography Discussion forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; Pictures will only look as good as your subject.......100 hammers and 10 gallons of bondo can't fix some of them...enough said...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Wedding Photography Questions

Pictures will only look as good as your subject.......100 hammers and 10 gallons of bondo can't fix some of them...enough said
    say cheeseburger!!!

MICROSOFT DIGITAL IMAGE PRO 9

What formal shots should I list or suggest?
    Go online and google wedding photo's for ideas. See what other people have done and incorporate what you like into your style and the bride and grooms attitude. Don't suggest standard "stand here and smile" portraits to the funky tattooed couple, and don't suggest standing in a fountain or running into the ocean waves to the super uptight couple or the briidzilla who is fretting about her dress getting dirty before the train even hits the ground. THe more wedding's you do the more ideas will come to you naturally, as well as you'll learn how to work your ideas into each couple's level of particpation.

What types of candids are good and will make the wedding book look complete?
    Get a telephoto, take pictures of them interecting when they don't think your looking. Intiamte kisses, smiling and laughing at eachother. And Dancing.

What are the circumstances in which I should shoot guests that are not interacting with the wedding party?
    Dancing, talking and lounging. NEVER while eating. I usually ownt even start shooting guests until after dinner.

Should I take pictures with both the mother and her new husband and the father and his new wife together or should I suggest these pictures separate?
    It's up to the bride and groom. But it's much easier on the family if you can let them go to the party faster. Though the bride and groom may request it, the parents, grandparents, siblings, etc. will judge you for keeping them away from the cocktail hour even just a little bit longer than they think is necessary for one more picture.

What is normal turnaround time for proofs to be delivered?
    4-6 weeks is about the max amount of time you want to make any bride and groom wait. If you want to get into making albums plan ahead, most albums take two weeks to create and deliver.

What is normal pricing on prints (either normal expected cost or general markup rule)?
    Go to a real photo print shop (not walgreens) and double thier prices... at least. I've seen people charge as much as $3 for a 4x6 and up to $15 for 8X10's. However, do you really want to do the printing yourself? Do you want to be resonsible for making sure you have the right amount of 4x6's and 5x7's of proof #37 while not forgetting that they wanted #63 cropped vertically in the 8x10 and horizontally in the 5x7? Offer print packages but sell cd's. You will save yourself a lot of hassel burnig a cd (get a printer that prints labels tho) and saying your done and then fumbling with print orders. You may make less money up front but you'll make it back when you charge them $100 a year later after they've lost their disc.

Are there any good books anyone can suggest?
    There's a million but go online, there is nothing you can find in book that isn't on the internet.

What types of questions should I ask the bride/groom during the initial meeting about their wedding photography needs?
    Ask them for a shot list (family members/friends that abosolutely must have thier picture taken with the couple) and ask them to go online and find examples of pictures/styles they like. Just because it's not in your portfolio doesn't mean you can't do it.

What types of questions should I ask during the followup meeting after they've hired me and we are talking about their wedding?
    Details, deatail, details. Who, what, where, when, and then repeat. Find out where everyone (bride, groom, grandma, the dog) is going to be at every point up until the start of the ceremony. Then find out who the DJ is and call them, make friends, meet up for coffee, get a detailed outline of the reception. Find out when you have time for formals (before or after the ceremony). Find out thier contact for the venue, do the same.

Any advice on presenting my work (should I get a photo book made as an example? should i just bring my portfolio books?)? Should I bring a packet of information with me for them to take home (should I make a presentation folder with all of the information for them or just have a few pages on heavy paper with my card and stapled at the top?)
    Photobook, all your info on nice heavy paper with a few sample shots, dont use staples, use a folder or keep it to one sheet.

Any other help that you all can give, Ive done a bit of research, talked to quite a few wedding photographers from my area and looked at lots of websites, but it is always good to find as much information as possible.
    Im thinking of making a sample wedding book (the kind you send images to a company and they make you a book from them based on your templates and such) to show my wedding work. Do you think is this a worthwhile investment? I think it would create a visual aide of how my work is better than a portfolio of pictures showing my wedding photography. Thoughts?
    Definately use a photobook, not a portfolio. THink of how your client will want thier pictures presented? DO THAT. And practice makes perfect. I've shot a lot of weddings, more than I can count anymore and I still learn something everytime. Random tip of the day: bring a travel sewing kit. I can't tell you how many brides, bridesmaids or mothers have had a split seem or piece of bead work that needed repair minutes before the ceremony. You'll save the day by having a needle and a few common colored threads in your camera bag

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I would invest in several albums...maybe 3. My clients love them...just gives them something tangible to hold and look at.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Wedding is the auspicious day in anyone’s life and everyone wants to make his/her wedding memorable, and to make this day memorable you always need to have a professional and skilled photographer who can make your pictures the way you want. Once you have learned all the skills and things that are required to be a pro photographer, you can start photography.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Everyone check out this new Social Network for Photographers, Models and other talented people. Sign up and allow 24hrs for account approval we will have cash give-a-ways to winners of contest and link up with photographers and models all over the world.
    www.exposingicons.com
    @ExposingIcons
    Exposing Icons | Facebook

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Thanks for the book list

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I would say try to have some ideas about this certain matter. Actually, this is not easy task try to analyze some angles and some important parts of the pictures. However, you have a capability to take it as long as you have a knowledge on how to make a photo shoot.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittin View Post
    "What formal shots should I list or suggest?
    This really depends on the couple. Some may want formals, some may want journalistic style."

Ya I know I need to ask the couple, but I would like to put together a list of shots that I should attempt to get, a list that they can go through to check off what pictures they would like etc.
    I want to know what some of the good duplicate photos to get would be. Obviously every couple is going to be different, every family has a different setup, but I want to have a general list for them to check off on what pictures they want for formals, plus an additional place for them to write any that I havent listed. The same for candids, for pictures of like... place settings or of the bouquet or whatever.

"What are the circumstances in which I should shoot guests that are not interacting with the wedding party?
    Again this is discussed with the couple prior to the wedding"

I know everything will have to be gone over with the couple, especially for specifics, I just want to know some basics and general thoughts on candids and such as well. A lot of couples wont have thought of every picture they want, especially candid, and I had the last couple ask me what the normal was, or what I think. Well, I dont know.

"This is one area where the questions should be limited. Open ended questions here may prove to be a can of worms that you don't want opened. If you did the consultation right, and covered the terms of the contract, there is little to discuss at this point."

I pretty much make a presentation at the first meeting. That is the meeting in which they're looking at photographers and interested in learning more about me. I go over the contract, my pricing, what it covers, the difference in what I offer and what other photographers offer, how I work, how my assistant(s) work, show my portfolio books, ask any questions about how to find duplicates big the wedding will be, what kind of services they are interested in etc. I then give them a price list and tell them to call me if they have any questions.
    Now the second meeting is when they come in and tell me which package they are going with, sign the contract, deliver their deposit, and I ask more specific questions like giving them a list of shots that are common or could be something they want, go over time they want to shoot engagement or other shoots. I gain additional information including names of the people who will be assisting me, information about their family and how the wedding party is set up.
    Thats just how I have planned my meetings.

Pretty much Im looking for information about shooting weddings that could be considered "secrets" but figured since the area I live is a good distance away from pretty much anyone else on this forum that someone may be willing to divulge it. Weddings are not my focus by any stretch but if im going to do it, im going to do it right.

A lot of great information on the photoforum.
    Thank you all for sharing - it helps me a lot!

PHOTO EDITING OK

Wedding Photography Experience

Came across a very interesting article on wedding photography experience. Go to : D7100 Nikon - An experience to remember
    Last edited by ThirdEye19; 07-02-2013 at 02:39 AM.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittin View Post
    "What formal shots should I list or suggest?
    This really depends on the couple. Some may want formals, some may want journalistic style."

Ya I know I need to ask the couple, but I would like to put together a list of shots that I should attempt to get, a list that they can go through to check off what pictures they would like etc.
    I want to know what some of the good pictures to get would be. Obviously every couple is going to be different, every family has a different setup, but I want to have a general list for them to check off on what pictures they want for formals, plus an additional place for them to write any that I havent listed. The same for candids, for pictures of like... place settings or of the bouquet or whatever.

"What are the circumstances in which I should shoot guests that are not interacting with the wedding party?
    Again this is discussed with the couple prior to the wedding"

I know everything will have to be gone over with the couple, especially for specifics, I just want to know some basics and general thoughts on candids and such as well. A lot of couples wont have thought of every picture they want, especially candid, and I had the last couple ask me what the normal was, or what I think. Well, I dont know.

"This is one area where the questions should be limited. Open ended questions here may prove to be a can of worms that you don't want opened. If you did the consultation right, and covered the terms of the contract, there is little to discuss at this point."

I pretty much make a presentation at the first meeting. That is the meeting in which they're looking at photographers and interested in learning more about me. I go over the contract, my pricing, what it covers, the difference in what I offer and what other photographers offer, how I work, how my assistant(s) work, show my portfolio books, ask any questions about how big the wedding will be, what kind of services they are interested in etc. I then give them a price list and tell them to call me if they have any questions.
    Now the second meeting is when they come in and tell me which package they are going with, sign the contract, deliver their deposit, and I ask more specific questions like giving them a list of shots that are common or could be something they want, go over time they want to shoot engagement or other shoots. I gain additional information including names of the people who will be assisting me, information about their family and how the wedding party is set up.
    Thats just how I have planned my meetings.

Pretty much Im looking for information about shooting weddings that could be considered "secrets" but figured since the area I live is a good distance away from pretty much anyone else on this forum that someone may be willing to divulge it. Weddings are not my focus by any stretch but if im going to do it, im going to do it right.
    The way i compare my services to others in the area is this.... many photographers in the area include prints with their packages, which end up being a lot higher cost than mine. When a couple looks at my pricing they get excited about the low cost. I make sure to tell them that the package does NOT include prints and that with prints you're looking at around the same cost, my pricing just allows more customization of your print selections. I dont knock anyone elses work, I dont talk about how my work is better than anyone else. I simply state the differences and let them make their decision.
    I want to have a list of different pictures to get. Not necessarily poses but ok, bride and mother of bride, bride and father, bride and.... you see? and different shots like... dress on hanger, place setting, etc. I dont want them to miss anything that they think back and say, oh, i wish uncle ebajeb could have been in a photo, i want to cover the event. they can pick out the ones they want, add ones i havent listed etc. THATs what I want. Im not asking for specific shots, or a way to pose the flowers to their best advantage, and I will be playing my strengths and downplaying my weaknesses when I do shoot it, I just want general information.
    I have a pretty decent presentation of my services already. Its been well thought out and discussed before, it works for me when i use a similar one for corporate work or for event work other than weddings. Weddings just are something different and a lot more involved than I normally do. I want to make sure that i cover everything, because theres no "do over" or a second chance to get the pictures of the first kiss.
    Im not looking to copy anyones work, just get a list of things that i may not have thought of to shoot, because I have a pretty decent list that ive come up with already, and that I will share to make sure i get what the client wants. Like I said though, ive done plenty of research and asked a few wedding photographers questions, I am just looking for additional advice and thoughts on the matter.
    I know that every wedding is special, every couple is unique and that their pictures can be shot in may different ways and should be shot as the couple want them and fits their personality.
    Thank you for your advice on the book and presenting my materials. I was pretty set on creating a photo book of my work to show at my next presentation, I just wanted more confirmation that it wasnt a waste of time/money.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links