What's the problem??

This is a discussion on What's the problem?? within the Photography Discussion forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; Hi guys, Would anyone have any idea as to why the quality of these 2 photos differ so much? They were both taken with the ...

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Hi guys,

Would anyone have any idea as to why the quality of these 2 photos differ so much? They were both taken with the same camera (Canon EOS 300) in sufficient light, and I shot the one of the woman in the boat in the auto function. Exposure seems fine (I think). It just looks so flat compared to the waterfall one. In fact almost all the photos (15 rolls!!) I took on that holiday looks washed out. Could it be due to processing? Can't be the film coz i used 2 different brands and bought from several stores. Oh and there's that annoying reddish tinge that's present in almost all of them!!!

[attachmentid=18736][attachmentid=18737]

Attached Images Attached Images   

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I am going to say that the vast difference in colors in the water/foliage opposed to the brown to magenta of the second is part of the problem. Not that #2 is a bad shot, but in this case is is comparing limes and peaches!
    BUY IT FROM OUR CAMERA STORE!

Nikon D200 came with 70-300 mm 1:4.5 lens......AF-S NIKKOR 17-55mm 1:2.8 (wide)......AF-S NIKKOR 50MM 1:1.4G
    Nikon D300 came with AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor ED 200-400 mm f/4 G IF
    Mamiya RB67 with 90mm f/3.5 180mm f/4.5

My flicker page

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Well this is just one example out of 500 shots of various other sceneries... they just don't have the same overall sharpness and clarity of the waterfall one, and there's just too much red in almost all of them. I think Golfball took some of it out when he tweaked the 'sampan' pic (thanks Golfball! Looks great). Which kinda makes me think that it's a processing problem, but since I have little to no experience with film I thought i'd ask what you guys think :-)

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    The waterfall seems a little under-exposed, but there's a lot of detail in there. White balance seems to be an issue with both. Here's the waterfall with a contrast adjustment and a white balance correction:

So, who processed them? I haven't sent in any film in a REALLY long time, but shouldn't you expect most labs to correct white balance? Anybody?

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I would go with a white balance issue

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    If this is film- the white balance may not be the issue. If the photos are washed out, I wonder if the camera has some light leakage. Sometimes if the light seals get worn or old or cracked- they might be exposing the film a little bit. Maybe have a look at that.

Also, how old is the film? Was it stored in a fridge- then used immediately? Or, did you let it set out overnight?
    "Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker." - Linus Vanpelt

Canon 5dmkII, Canon T1i (500d), 50mm f/1.4, 24-105mm f/4 L, 17-40mm f/4 L, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L, 2x580exII Flash + various other accessories
    Leica V-Lux1 (stolen out of my car!)

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    If this is film- the white balance may not be the issue. If the photos are washed out, I wonder if the camera has some light leakage. Sometimes if the light seals get worn or old or cracked- they might be exposing the film a little bit. Maybe have a look at that.

Also, how old is the film? Was it stored in a fridge- then used immediately? Or, did you let it set out overnight?
    ANd don't forget how long it may have been stored at the store....
    Steve J

Network Engineer,
    Web Master and
    Photographer

Follow me @sjj57 on Twitter and on Facebook and LinkedIn

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Grandpa: Thanks for the edit :-) Looks awesome...

how old is the film? Was it stored in a fridge- then used immediately? Or, did you let it set out overnight?
    I always buy film a day before I leave and I check that it's not past the expiry date but yeah, I have no idea how the shop stores them. Will make it a point to buy from a more reputable place i guess.

Thanks for the input everyone :-)

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links