light source coming from wrong direction...what can I do???

This is a discussion on light source coming from wrong direction...what can I do??? within the Photography Discussion forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; Here's my dilemma. We live in the country and every day many deer visit our yard giving me ample opportunity's to capture them with my ...

always learning!
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Here's my dilemma. We live in the country and every day many deer visit our yard giving me ample opportunity's to capture them with my camera. But here's the problem...our house faces west so for most of the day the light source is coming from the wrong direction. I cannot move to the other side of the deer...I'm usually either shooting from my window or just outside my front door. It's very cold where I live so setting up in the best location and waiting for them just is not an option. Any suggestions for settings or anything I might be able to do to compensate for the improper lighting?? I'd love to get better shots of them but so far none have been great. Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm new to DSLR and have lot's to learn...lol!

Here's a couple of pics I snapped today. There is not much detail in the deer and he is dark. Both these shots were cropped and altered in Photoshop to try to correct the bad lighting but the snow is now way too bright.

this one is better because it was taken earlier in the day...between 8 and 8:30 this morning. even though the deer come and go throughout the day, the late afternoon hours are the busiest and that's when the light is at it's worst.

this is my 'best' model....my granddaughter Hannah
    http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...gnaturebar.jpg

total newbie trying to make friends with my NIKON D40X W/18-55 II, 55-200 VR DX,
    Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro, Sigma 30mm 1.4 and the SB 600

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I think you will have problems in those conditions effiemay.
    Two things that may help a little,
    overexpose your shot to allow for the snow,you will have to experiment with this to see what setting gives best results (up to +2 poss)
    Ensure you are using centre spot focusing as this will tell the camera you want to focus on the deer and not the complete scene.
    Also,ensure you are using a lens hood as this will cut down the light entering the lens.
    Apart from that,good luck and experiment.
    HTH
    Peter
    Canon 40D, 30D, 70-200 L, 100 Macro, 75-300, 24-85 & 50 1.8

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Good advice from Peter - like bright sun - bright snow is a killer

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Yep, good advice, Peter!

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

always learning!
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    thanks for the info....I'll try that today. Off to dig out the hood...wish me luck!
    this is my 'best' model....my granddaughter Hannah
    http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...gnaturebar.jpg

total newbie trying to make friends with my NIKON D40X W/18-55 II, 55-200 VR DX,
    Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro, Sigma 30mm 1.4 and the SB 600

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links