Customer Printing Problems

This is a discussion on Customer Printing Problems within the Photo Printing forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; Hi, I'm new to the forum. Recently I had a client purchases a disc with print release for her photos. She printed some off at ...

PHOTO EDITING OK

Customer Printing Problems

Hi, I'm new to the forum.
    Recently I had a client purchases a disc with print release for her photos. She printed some off at a Sam's Club and texted me that the color was different. I told her to try another lab. Also I had posted a few previews for her on Facebook, and she said there is a difference in the color of the photos on Facebook and the photos on the disc. Has anyone had a problem like this? Is this a problem with her computer? Am I doing something wrong when I save them to a disc? I previewed the disc before I gave it to her and the color looked fine to me.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    This is why best practice is NOT to simply give clients a disc of images. Every lab, especially every cheap lab (Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, etc) uses cheap processes and untrained staff. Ensure that your monitor is properly calibrated, and that you're working with a good lab using optimized printer profiles. If you MUST give your client digital files, then ensure you're working from a properly calibrated monitor, and explain to the client that there will be some colour issues on printing, especially with budget labs.
    Visit my website: John's Photography Comments and critique always appreciated.

KmH
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    All right! Your first post here. Welcome to Photo Forum!
    I have no experience with Sam's Club, but I have had experience with Costco and Walmart, but I have professional labs make my prints because I want to do all the color management myself.

The issue is likely related to Color Management, and yes, many new to the business of doing photography and/or having prints made have had the same problem.
    Another common problem with giving a client images on a disc is that most DSLR cameras makes images that have a 3:2 aspect ratio (8x12), but the client orders an 8x10 (4:5 aspect ratio) or a 5x7 (5:7 aspect ratio) and part of the image has to get cut off to make that happen.

What color space are the files on the disc in? Most labs want images in the sRGB color space, but some labs can also handle images in the Adobe RGB color space.
    Do the images on the disc have an embedded color profile?

Here are some tutorials you may find helpful. In particular see the ones that covers computer display calibration and soft-proofing:
    Tutorials on Color Management & Printing
    You may also want to get and read these books:
    The Digital Print: Preparing Images in Lightroom and Photoshop for Printing
    Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom (2nd Edition)
    Fine Art Printing for Photographers: Exhibition Quality Prints with Inkjet Printers
    Last edited by KmH; 09-20-2013 at 08:06 PM.
    ..Keith..
    STUDIO 101 | Image Works

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links