From Colors to Shades of Gray

This is a discussion on From Colors to Shades of Gray within the Photo Editing & Image Management forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; hey so im using photoshop 3.0 and the Channel Mixer isn't under either the Image, or new adjustment layer menus...should I just use CS2? Alex, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Canadian Captioneer
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK

hey so im using photoshop 3.0 and the Channel Mixer isn't under either the Image, or new adjustment layer menus...should I just use CS2?
    Alex, if you have CS2 I say you shoudl really go for it. Seriously.. It has so many options that can't compare to 3.0. I know it's very confusing when you haven't ever used it for but I just try to learn as much as I can each day. I'm not expert at it myelf but what I try to do is "google" everything I want to do in photoshop and you find a ton of tutorials for anything you can ever need....

That's IMO!

Jen
    [/quote]

Slight problem my copy of CS2 wont seem to work on my lapotop....soooo if y'all could tell me how to do this on 3.0 id be endlessly grateful!
    Cannon Ixus I5

Cannon EOS 350D

Website: www.freewebs.com/alexmacks (B&W section currently down)

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Alex, if you have CS2 I say you shoudl really go for it. Seriously.. It has so many options that can't compare to 3.0. I know it's very confusing when you haven't ever used it for but I just try to learn as much as I can each day. I'm not expert at it myelf but what I try to do is "google" everything I want to do in photoshop and you find a ton of tutorials for anything you can ever need....

That's IMO!

Jen
    For the most part, it really depends on the image you're working with. I don't aim to have my greens, reds, and blues all the same in every shot because it may not work as well with shot A as it does with shot B. Just remember that when using the Channel Mixer, you want your percentages to sum up to 100. So let's say your red is set to +20, then you want the other +80 to come from a combination of the levels in the green and blue. You can even do negative values, and they work as long as the positive values of the other channels are equal to +100 in opposition to that negative.... if that makes any sense. lol
    Connect: facebook/kentfrost417
    Like: facebook/kentfrostphoto

"Your brain; the most complicated thing in the world, which you yourself grew, without even thinking about it." ~Alan Watts

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Slight problem my copy of CS2 wont seem to work on my lapotop....soooo if y'all could tell me how to do this on 3.0 id be endlessly grateful!
    Ouch, I haven't used 3.0 in 10 years. I don't have the slightest.
    Connect: facebook/kentfrost417
    Like: facebook/kentfrostphoto

"Your brain; the most complicated thing in the world, which you yourself grew, without even thinking about it." ~Alan Watts

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    The things that go on around here, while I am out!

This is an excellent tutorial, once again, Kent.
    Your nice references to my Rebel XT give me some motivation to try these techniques, although I very seldom apply black-and-white.

A very valuable contribution to the Forum, Kent.
    Thank you!!
    "Images Of The Vanishing West"

www.GreatBasinLife.com

Canadian Captioneer
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I got CS2 working again, I just had to uninstall 3.0.

So far im enjoying this new trick, the only problem is all my shots come out super grainy after i remove the color.
    Cannon Ixus I5

Cannon EOS 350D

Website: www.freewebs.com/alexmacks (B&W section currently down)

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Here is a little something to add to this. Take a copy of your color image and layer that on top of your B&W image. Change that color layer from normal to Luminosity (as its called in Photoshop). It will bring a little more to the picture. Hit undo and redo while watching the photo to see what it actually adds.
    Equipment: Nikon D60 (18-55 & 55-200 Nikkor Vr Lenses) Yongnuo PT-04TM Triggers, a Quantaray 900WA, 2 Yongnuo YN 460 Mk II's, 2 Flash Stands, Umbrellas and a 16" Softbox.
    My Flickr
    MySpace

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Or I'd like to add in CS4 you get an 8 channel mixer out of camera raw and it's non destructive!!!!
    Get OUT and SHOOT Y'ALL...........Sitting at the 'puter don't make better photos!!!!!!

Some of my crappy photography on FLICKR

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Colors to Shades of Gray is the best technique .

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I have used photoshop cs6. Which version is better to do B&W or which version have you used?
    Thanks in advanced.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links