Erasing portions of Lightroom Presets

This is a discussion on Erasing portions of Lightroom Presets within the Photo Editing & Image Management forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; There have been times, where it would be nice to apply a Lightroom preset, and then remove the selected preset just in particular areas of ...

+ Reply to Thread

There have been times, where it would be nice to apply a Lightroom preset, and then remove the selected preset just in particular areas of the photograph (revealing the below "layer"). I've searched, tried finding ways to open the docs in Photoshop with layers, but have not found a way. The only possible way I could think of doing it would be to load both documents into Photoshop, and than to copy/past the preset layer over the background layer.

Would this method effect quality? Is there a better approach?

Thanks for your input.
    Jon

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Have you tried playing around with the "brush" icon(top right) using that you can alter not only exposure but saturation,brightness,contrast,clarity and sharpness?
    Karin

Taking photos that please me, but if you like them too then it's a bonus!

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf49 View Post
    There have been times, where it would be nice to apply a Lightroom preset, and then remove the selected preset just in particular areas of the photograph (revealing the below "layer"). I've searched, tried finding ways to open the docs in Photoshop with layers, but have not found a way. The only possible way I could think of doing it would be to load both documents into Photoshop, and than to copy/past the preset layer over the background layer.

Would this method effect quality? Is there a better approach?

Thanks for your input.
    Jon
    This is one of the cons of LR in not having the Layers on which we could put a mask, etc. I doubt that layer will be introduced to LR as then it would/could compete with CS instead of complimenting CS.

Depending a lot on what the preset effect is you might be able to use the adjustment brush to remove or alter back the preset effects providing you know specifically what those effects are.

KimR

Comments and Critique are always encouraged, considered and appreciated. Thank in advance too.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Perhaps since you don't need it often you could use gimp. It's free.

You can make luminosity masks and saturation masks with some fiddling around which are quite useful. Unlike cs the adjustment layers are not constantly adjustable.
    I use it on the laptops because it's less of a resource hog. I believe it's 8 bit processing only which is less quality than cs..........but free is a great price.
    Get OUT and SHOOT Y'ALL...........Sitting at the 'puter don't make better photos!!!!!!

Some of my crappy photography on FLICKR

Thanks for the replies. Was actually trying to find an easy way to make everything B&W with the exception of certain colors. I have presets for "only blue" or "only red", etc.. but was looking to create a desaturated image with certain colors coming through vividly.

•  

Ads